Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dc emulator ?

Options
  • 14-12-2002 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Well dc is dead ? is there no emu for it ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

http://icarus.boob.co.uk/
    All you need to do now is get a 30ghz processor (Not joke) to play dreamcast games full speed on your PC. Thats if you can find ISO's on the net:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Is there another option??

Also i never looked at Dc but im seriously craving for some beat em up action and burnout.

I can get cds but i dont think they can be played by a PC Cd Rom is that true???

kdjac

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Is there another option??
    Yes, DreamEMU
    http://www.dcemulation.com/emu-dreamemu.htm

Also i never looked at Dc but im seriously craving for some beat em up action and burnout.

Just fire up FBA for some Marvel VS capcom;)
    I can get cds but i dont think they can be played by a PC Cd Rom is that true???

kdjac
    Correct do a search in this forum it's been discussed before. The GD-roms gamedata can't be read by DVD/CD-roms. You can however get gamedata directly from a dreamcast via serial cable or broadband connector which can then be used with an emulator

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Ok, dodgy question here but forgive me, its been plauging my mind for some time

At beginning of thread something along the lines of a remark made saying that 30ghz needed to play a dc emulator (ie. needs lots of cpu)
    now i hear this a good bit that emulators need lots of cpu
    why is this, i mean the consoles themselves couldnt have near that much cpu power in them?

*confussled*

dont hate me for asking questions, ill never learn otherwise :)
    -Zy

No one gets shunned for asking questions in here unless they're dumb enough to be asking for Rom sites;) You don't need a fast cpu for most Arcade games and playstaion/N64 are emulated very well on average machines. I'll let someone else give you a detailed reason but lets just say that its got a lot to do with consoles custom chips which are designed for a very specific tasks. An PC cpu is not designed for the above mentioned specific task and therefore it takes longer to do said task on a normal PC, sooo....A faster cpu is needed to do the task in the same time as a consoles custom chips.
    *Slaps self in face
    That make any sense?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

LoGiE's dead right- it's a bit like why high level programming languages run slower than machine code. Although the Hitachi SH4 processor used in the Dreamcast is much less 'powerful' (in terms of MIPS) compared to a modern x86 processor, code designed to run on the Hitachi CPU must be translated to run on an x86 CPU.

This is only part of the emulator's job. When you consider the other custom hardware that comprises a Dreamcast (or any other system) then you begin to realise what a huge task the emulator is presented with. The emulator must 'fool' the running software that those very same pieces of custom hardware are present in the system (when clearly, they aren't).

So the processor in the system running the emulator has to work hard to translate all the messages being sent to and from these 'virtual components', as well as manage the operating system that the emulator is running on!

When you bear in mind that the designs for the hardware of these systems is rarely made public, emulator writers have to work doubly hard to understand just what is actually 'going on behind the scenes'. It's a bit like throwing tennis balls at a cardboard box with a creamcake inside it. Bits of sponge, jam and cream might fly out on occasion but it's often a tough job working out that you're dealing with a cream cake. Hence the code that the emulator uses to produce a certain effect is often far less efficient (uses more lines) than the routines employed by the hardware designers.

:p:p:p

Originally posted by ozpass

It's a bit like throwing tennis balls at a cardboard box with a creamcake inside it. Bits of sponge, jam and cream might fly out on occasion but it's often a tough job working out that you're dealing with a cream cake

ROFL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

right, i was kind of thinking it was something along those lines but needed it cleared up to sooth my wandering mind :)

thanks lads

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well another point on the pc trying to emulate a slower machine is that it has windows running in the back ground and the consoles dont have to deal with M$ and all their direct X stuff!

Getting back to the main thread point if ya wana play DC games right now try to buy a dream cast some where. Im keeping my eye out for one right now! Its a pity it died!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

see , i only bought an N64 and i didnt bother getting ne thing else , dc had a big hype about its online system and it looked good , i dont know why i didnt buy it ! it was like 128 bit and every one was like woooooooooo i love my 32 bit ps1 ,
    Why did dc die ? it would have been great to see it in the market now , against the cube and xbox :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Its amazing how many people "think" that the DC was the business. Having worked in a games store when it was at its peak (if you can even call what it got it a peak) i have to say it was one of the most unimpressive line up of games probably ever.

I'm convinced sega fanboys have coluded to confuse everyone into thinking it was any use at all.
    The machine itself had potential, but the games, omg!
    Shenmue - walking around pointlessly talking to the same people over and over and over, learning x amount of fighting moves and then just hammering the buttons and doing as well in fights. And searching for sailors, i almost smashed my machine because of that.
    Soul calibur - pretty good, a nice bashing game, but only in multiplayer.

I could go on about this and that and the other, but at the end of the day, the vast majority of the games blew. Hell, the japs didnt even buy it and up to that point, you could stick a sega sticker on a nappy and they'd buy it.

Advertisement