Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 to enter the Wi-Fi market

Options
  • 13-12-2002 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

O2 Ireland is to offer public WLAN services for business customers in locations around the country from January 2003. Public wireless LANs (local area networks) enable users to wirelessly access the Internet at speeds 25 to 30 times faster than a normal dial-up modem as long as they are within a 100-metre radius of a terminal and have the right equipment.

O2 announced at the end of November that following four months of trials it will be making a number of WLAN "hotspots" available nationwide for both customers and non-O2 customers .
    The WLAN terminals will be placed in hotels, conference centres and train stations after O2 signed deals with Jurys Doyle Hotel Group, Bewleys Hotel Group, Lynch Hotel Group and CIE. The company declined to say exactly how many hotspots there will be. O2 added that it has separate, established business models in place with each of the site owners.

The cost of the service will be released nearer its release date and a range of payment options will be available. The main one of these will be a voucher system where users "scratch-off" the card to reveal access codes and details. The vouchers will be available at each of the hotspots.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

I know the peeps rolling this out, its aimed at business users ...
    and is gonna have lots of limitations. I don't know what market its targeting but I do know its not gonna move us any further forward ....

Advertisement