Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n Roll

Options
  • 13-12-2002 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Heres what I'm asking... I'm 16, have had minimal experience with alcohol, none with drugs, near enough to none with smoking, and one girlfriend who I only went out with for a week, but... basically I want to find out about life, I've got this odd idea stuck in my head that I should try stuff before basically its to late, I feel like I might not have an entire 70+ life in front of me... so, who has any advice of any sort... well, not the "don't be so stupid, you should never touch that" type, I can go get that from my parents anytime... I feel like I'm on a quest for experiences, and basically I want to know has anyone else felt like this, is it just some teenage frustration/rebellion thingy, and who has advice for what to do and what not to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I'd say try everything once, but that's probably not very responsible of me! Still, that's sort of what I did, except for particularly stupid things, which I generally stayed away from.

Still, at least I'm not dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Before you do anything ask yourself what your parents would do, then do the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

As a moderator for PI on boards.ie I 'have' to say that taking illegal drugs is against the law and boards does not in any way recommend that you do so.

Personally I think you should wait until the moment is right and then see how you feel about it. (and always remember that illegal thing I told you about!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Durden

Uhmmm... I'd like to say that my dad was a stoner during the sixties, I've seen photos, and he once nearly killed himself on a motorbike....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Best advice I can give is that you make your own choices. But then you have to live with them, sometimes forever.

Make *informed* choices, don't do something 'cos it sounds cool.. find out about it first.

I'm not saying don't do anything, but do *KNOW* what you are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Don't go for hard drugs. Lighter ones are fun but be warned that addictive things ARE addictive and tend to cost lots. Personally, i don't like alcohol but that's just a personal preference.

I started on my path to the drug swilling fiend(tm) i am at the tender age of 16 too. all that year ago.. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Theres a time and a place for everything, and its called college.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

TBH, things like this just happen when they happen. Take your time, don't be so cautious - and things will fall into place over the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

i agree with merc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Aye... don't plan it like. Just let it happen. :)

And always carry a condom. :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Don't be in such a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

What ever you do, don't go as far as pills. That's when you start f*cking up!

Kali actually made quite a good point. When you go to college these things do start going underway!

The fact is, the more sociable you get, the more wasted you get! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

learn to play an instrument, join a band, travel the country partying all night, doing drugs and sleeping with as many chicks as possible, while gettin paid to do it

or dont, and just chill out and go with the flow. 16 is a lil young to be worrying about all that sorta crap....wait till you get to college, and remember the most important thing :

NEVER (ever ever ever ever) do anything you dont want to just to look cool...dont be afraid to say no
    that might sound a bit silly, but you'd be suprised by the number of people ive seen pressurised into doing drugs/drinking/whatever by 'friends'.

so just calm down and go with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I drink but I don't smoke ro do drugs.

Personally speaking I'd say that alcohol is good in moderation.

I'd avoid taking up smoking. I've no problem with smokers but they are a lifetime addiction, damage health severely and eat into your money.

As for drugs, I'd say to keep away from the hard drugs. A bit of dope is grand and has no real health hazards (other than tose of smoking).

With regard to the sex thing (Mmmmm ... sex) enjoy it but use condoms!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Another thing I forgot to mention. If your tempted to smoke dope, just make sure you don't start doing it on a regular basis. Maybe once every 2-3 weeks. If you start taking it regularly, you will develop an addiction to smoking.

Most of my friends that smoke (a large percentage of them under the age of 16) , got into smoking because they wanted to try hash. On the bus to Cancer they go!

Good advice... I'm not going to get into smoking really, other stuff seems so much better at relaxing you, without the addiction or health problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

other stuff ? what do you mean by other stuff ? im intrigued...elaborate please

Hash, duh. Like Oeneus said, once every 2-3 weeks should stop the nicotene addiction, and thats about the timescale I need to relax on! Actually, I only get really stressed out every 5-6 weeks really... so if I follow that, I should be ok;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi Durden, I'll put my 2c ent worth in, at the grand age of 31, I still feel I am on an adventure and I still feel there is something out there for me. You won't experience life through drugs, cigarettes (as an ex-smoker, they are evil), nor through drink. Life is experienced by that, experience, taking risks. Living life experimentally, there is a price to pay for that though and its called ****ing up and making mistakes and pain, emotional pain but in my eyes its worth it.

I was 16 when I had my first lover, he was 40 at the time and I had to decide whether to defy my mothers wishes and see him behind her back or do as I was told and not see him. I took the first option, I felt the overwhelming need to experience it, it was a very conscious decision. I paid the price though, he dumped me a month later and dissappeared, my mother found out and went ape. But I tell you now, it was worth it. I have made some crazy decisions, some very foolish but I wouldn't have it any other way. You mentioned in another thread that you are writing a book, well by expermenting you will gain so much into life. The only thing I would say is be yourself and take care of yourself, you are precious cargo, so it needs careful handling.

I have also adopted the attitude, that there is something gained from every interaction, everyone has a story to tell, and that is another way of experiencing life, by listening, the by product is you become very popular because you will be known as the good listener, lol.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

As someone who has had a great deal of experience with drugs I would advise anyone and everyone reading this to stear clear of drugs. It might seem alright to experiment but keep in mind some people who experiment do get addicted. This is not a choise you have. Either you are an addict or you are not there is no middle ground. If you are unlucky enough to be an addict you can expect to go through HELL trying to give up what was once a habbit and not everyone can quit.
    Fact: An addict will do anything to get a high, even if it means hurting those that you love the most.
    Drugs are not a good thing in general. I was one of the lucky people who dident become addicted but I have lost a lot of people I once loved very much to drugs.
    To put it simply dont put your hand in the fire and you wont get burnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ok IF If if you dont listen to any of the good advice here to,
    not open pandora's box of drugs,
    wait until you are older,
    to not screw up your body and mind;

You should plan it.

Why ? Well if you insist on stuffing yourself with silly illegal chemical you want to be sure that they are what you think and not something else that will cause you great harm.

So get to know what ever drug you are deciding to experiment with,

What are the bad effects ?
    what should you not do before/ while /after putting it into your system?
    What may go wrong and how to correct it
    ( ie drinking water with E )

Dont do this on your own, esp for the first time. MAke sure you are with real friends who will if nesscary:

ring 999 and stay with you in a hospital .
    Get water into you if needed
    Talk you round from a bad trip
    stop you from doing anything stupid.
    know cpr
    have a basin hady if you vomit.

A lot of the above also applies with going out drinking and getting wrecked.

So if you silly enough to try it dont be stupid enough to have it go badly wrong.

And no I'm not a drug fiend but I know a few and have had the joy of having to be there for people even over night in hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I think what Thaed just said is very important. I am very much an advocate of "Try everything once" then at least your opinion on the subject is an informed one if nothing else. Before you try anything though, make sure you are with friends and friends that you would trust with your life because essentially thats what you're dealing with. Have a good think about how many friends you could depend on if you took something that F***ed you up and was causing major damage to your liver while your "Friends" party on oblivious or actually make it home and think "Wheres John?" before giving you a further thought.

Example: I have had the benefit of sharing most of all new experiences (Barring sex) with my best mate. We've carried eachother home, held the basin rah rah rah for eachother for years. I went out with a bunch of mates from work one night, got completely smashed and spent the night in a cell after a incident with the police with zero sign of my "Mates". Sit up and take note!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Definetly agree with the above, if your gonna do anything at a moments notice or whenever make suRe you have friends about . .

http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/
    Is a good place with realistic advice for the curious..

and just to reiterate what other people said drugs are ok now and then bUt when your using them frequently you tend to stand still and experience less and less and eventually its not fun and your near brain dead... . ; .
    anywhos. .fun is to be had when all is said and done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

To echo what I have said before, and Thead has said, there is no harm in having information, even if only so you have an idea what the effects are supposed to be. Just going out ad seeing what happens can lead you to taking bad versions, or spiked (or otherwise interfered with) substances. This is what kills most first timers.

That in itself is reason enough for making an informed choice.

I am not saying don't do it, but know what it is that you are or are not doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

what Kali said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Graemo

Yadda yadda yadda

Simple one this.

First of all make sure your a stable person not tending towards depression or anti social behaviour. eg violence etc.

Dont do acid on your own or with people you don't know well.

Don't think alcohol is a harmless drug.More people are harmed through alcohol then all other drugs puttogether and them some.

Only do E in halfs and then no more then two a night. Otherwise you become a jabbering prat that annoys everyone around them.

Cocaine is just too expensive to do too much of. Also you end up staying out all night with really scary people scowering the city trying to find out where you can get more coke and most likely betting ripped off for a crushed disprin..It's great fun but it is a slippery slope.
    You may just end up licking the tops of toilet cisterns in clubs all over the city.

NEVER EVER EVER do Heroin or any other opiates. nuff said.

Speed is a sh1t drug. Poor mans coke.
    Keeps you awake and is bad for your heart.

Canabis either hash or grass is cool but for the most part is kinda un sociable. Too stoned is like too drunk, your useless in a social situation. You'll never get laid if your too stoned.It can make you really paranoid too.

Magic Mushrooms rooooool.
    Again like acid,not in unknown company and not too often. May cause irreversable mind change. Seriously.

Those are about all the mainstream social drugs out there. Remember MODERATION is the key to enjoying youself same as with anything. Food, drink etc.
    Too much of any of the above will FU*K you up. Make no mistake about it.

You want to enjoy all that life has to offer, but you also don't want to hurt yourself or others and mayby get on and have a real life when the party eventually ends. And it ALLWAYS does. ....no exceptions.

I'm not advocating everyone do drugs but information and prevention are better then a cure for an addled brain. :Look at Ozzy Ozbourne etc.Lots of people do loads of drugs and make it out the other side, dont assume you'll get away scot free.

Be safe, have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

about a year ago i felt the same way you did. life was passing me by and all that jazz, all my friends who went out on wild nights at the weekend seemed to have more fun than i ever did. so over the summer i decided to try everything i thought id missed out on.

and you know what? i didnt find it fun. my theory is that if you arent into the whole drink and drugs thing by now its probably because you arent truly that interested, just feeling a bit left out of everything if you know what i mean. dont bother trying things just for the sake of trying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Chada

Beware of the reprocussions!!! I dont kno bout drugs, but bein drunk dont impress the ladies, or the boss the next morning (frome xperience :p ) and no smart-asses commentin on the fact alcohol is a drug :p i kno!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Mewzel
    about a year ago i felt the same way you did. life was passing me by and all that jazz, all my friends who went out on wild nights at the weekend seemed to have more fun than i ever did. so over the summer i decided to try everything i thought id missed out on.

I'm in that boat now, All my friends take drugs at the weekends, EVERY wenkend. They take E, Coke and hash and speed . They be snorting coke on the tables in Pubs(very respectable ones, I wont say though), I'd be sitting there looking at them.... drinking myself into state.

I'd sometimes smoke hash.....grand.
    I won't use pills, I get heart palpitations, so pills might cause me collapse or worse, drop dead

The website that was mentioned is good, well informed one.

Advertisement