Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UK - TheReg] 2Mbps Service for £39.99

Options
  • 13-12-2002 5:29pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There is a new service available in London, 2Mbps downtream, 400 Kbps upstream for UK£39.99.

What is interesting about the service is that the above speeds are only for off peak hours, during peak hours it is 512 kbps. A very interesting idea for a consumer service.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/28557.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

*Ray gets out the lawn mower, to cut himself some greener grass*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Now, thats a very nice idea

/me packs suitcase ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think.................................I think..........................I think I'm going to cry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭acid

who cares? i can access the internet for as little as 1c per minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

In Belgium, they have a cap on their cable service (well, the once I've seen) and if you exceed the cap, you get bumped down to 56k speed (not sure of the starting speed tho)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

The satellite providers offer something similar. If you 'abuse' the service, you are throttled back to 56k for a predetermined time, after which you can join the class again.
    Another wonderful feature of satellite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It should be added that Bulldog use unbundled loops to provide that service. Here's another article that demonstrates the stark difference between Ireland and the UK:
    BTw in new year ADSL promo

BT Wholesale is offering ISPs half price broadband connections as part of a limited promotion early next year.

The activation charge for the bog standard BT IPStream Home product will be cut from £50 to £25. While the charge for business broadband services in the BT IPStream S range will also be halved from £260 to £130.

The offer will run from January 10 until the end of March.

And of course, since this is a wholesale offer it's up to ISPs to decide how much of that discount they intend to pass on to end users.

BT Wholesale says the move is prompted because it's "constantly looking at ways to help service providers stimulate the market for broadband".

A spokeswoman for AOL UK said it was to early to say whether the discount would be passed on although AOL currently charges £85 for a modem, filters, software and connection.

Likewise, Freeserve charges the same for its all inclusive starter kit.

BTopenworld, on the other hand, charges £85 for a modem and filters plus £65 for connection. Asked whether BT's ISP would be cutting the cost of its service a spokesman said they were "looking into it". ®

Advertisement