Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soul Calibur on a UK Dreamcast

Options
  • 25-11-1999 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

oh.........my........god.....

smile.gif

/me rushes out tomorrow to buy a DC and Soul Calibur

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, but what if that's the only good game that will ever be released for the DC?

Like when the N64 was released, everyone bought it because of Mario64 and GoldenEye.
    Now all that's left is Mario Golf sad.gif
    !!!- BEWARE -!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Good point, altho you are forgetting Zelda on the N64 as well, but yer right there was **** all quality games released.

However Soul Calibur is THAT good smile.gif

well i now have a Dreamcast and Soul Calibur - omg its so good its unreal. the detail in the graphics is incredible, down to the veins on Voldo's ar$e smile.gif time to camp out in practice mode for a few days now. Ivy is a bit good, certainly seems the easiest to learn anyways.

It does suffer from the ol Namco 'not exactly very difficult in Arcade Mode' problem. I finished it with Ivy on my first run through with one restart on stage 4 *blush* and about three restarts on stage 8 to beat the boss. Got eight wins on my first attempt at Survival Mode as well.

[This message has been edited by Castor Troy (edited 26-11-99).]

But was it worth buying the console just to play it?

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Imagine, hypothetically speaking that we all owned dreamcasts and pc's we're seen as a kiddies toy. If this game as released on a pc would ya go "oh ... my ..... god " and go out and spent 1400 plus 30 for the game ?

Okay, I dont even know if I have a point here so I'll stop typing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

One more thing, is that the game with the zombies n stuff and you have a gun like time crisis kinda of a job ? Cos my mate bought that for his playstation christmas before last i think it was and that was the only game that he used the gun with. They did another convresion onto the playstation of this cool game I used to play a lot, cant remember the name of it now, but unfortunately, it sucked on the playstation.

So whats the deal with these dreamcassts anyways ? I read somewhere that the whole multiplayers aspect of it is having some major problems due to central servers being totally borked due to excessive log ons n stuff. Anyone else read anything on it ?

Dunno 'bout the servers, I reccon they'll be b0rked alright though.

Does the DreamCast come with DVD, or is it just the PSX2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

DreamCast isn't DVD compatible.... yet. Mutterings from Sega HQ in Japan suggest we may not have to wait all that long...

Soul Calibur does rock immensely. I remember asking a Namco rep once how much their arcade cabinets cost, with a view to buying one in order to play Soul Calibur... They're reasonably cheap actually, only about a grand, and I was seriously tempted to take out a loan... Then heard about the DC conversion and was happy smile.gif

Soul Calibur won't be the only good title for DC. The huge sales of the console this Christmas have meant that a whole pile of new third party developers have jumped on the bandwagon, which is cool and means we'll see lots more titles in the new year - including the first Resident Evil game to use entirely realtime graphics (Resident Evil: Code Veronica), the gorgeous and innovative looking Shenmue, and a host of other interesting and cool stuff that is making its way into the pages of DreamCast Japanese magazines right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

I know this is what everyone is thinking of but personally i think everyone should wait for PS2.It's like a little , big (intended to say that) entertainment.....thingy.The specs arent as good as i thought they would be though.

->20-40<-

• Advertisement

And see Sony dominate the market, crush the third parties, intimidate retail and generally act like a console version of Microsoft, while producing heaps of substandard games?

Not on your bloody life!

I like the Playstation, but I detest Sony. They created the wider games market, fair f***s to them for that, but they are now so powerful that its just not true, and they are abusing their position... Just like a certain Seattle-based software giant.

I'd hate to see gaming turned into a one-platform show...

FoRgIvE My IgNoRaNcE BuT...
    How are Sony "abusing" their dominant position?
    Don't liken them to M$ just because they are Über-popular.
    And even Sega abused their power when the Megadrive was top dog... remember "F1" with the 3D chip gizmo that cost £70?

IMAO the Playstation had all the developer support, while the Saturn went to shíte...
    If history does (as they say) repeat itself, then all DC owners are fuçked!

I still reccon the PSX2 will out-sell the DC.
    DVD will also be a huge selling point.

-(PSX control pad's kick ass)-

If DC is a success how do you think the online gaming side of it will turn out?

My vision of it will be that:
    All the (r@p spamming all over the web will get way out of hand.
    Muppets in every server, etc.
    But at least there will be more people on the servers which is what I like to see. smile.gif

Thats a terrible but realistic point.Theres gonna be al these $h!t's on the servers that wont have a clue whats goin on.

[This message has been edited by 2040 (edited 05-12-1999).]

If you were a retailer or a journalist, you'd know all about Sony abusing their position...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<cough>
    <ahem>
    undercut prices and we'll stop supplying to you and you'll lose lots of money haha
    </ahem>
    </cough>

Thats certainly one aspect of it!

Not to mention handy lines like "Give this a bad review and we won't send you any more review products, and we'll cut off your advertising" (in as many words); and gems like not sending games to magazines until 2 months after launch because they know they're bolloks and don't want us to say it is...

So what, you think SEGA won't do the same?

Most computer mags are bent in some way, be it taking backhanders from developers, or loading the mags with more adds than articles?
    But it doesn't bother me because I don't pay before I've played.

Most computer mags are bent in some way, be it taking backhanders from developers, or loading the mags with more adds than articles

Thats rubbish, and malinformed rubbish at that. I know of only one or two magazines which have really licked up to publishers like that (Official Playstation excepted, since it belongs to Sony anyway)... And the allegation of taking "backhanders" from developers is utter, utter sh1t.

I wish developers would give backhanders... I'd be a lot better off! I'm here to be bought if any developer wants to buy me! But it just doesn't happen mate.

In fact, I know a lot of mags which have dropped advertising from Sony (not Sega or Nintendo, who have never tried tactics like that with mags) and gone out to hunt down ads from non-gaming sources (movies, soft drinks, fashion companies) in order to free themselves of that kind of bias, and a lot of mags go out and BUY games they don't get sent copies of, just in order to cover them.

We don't do this for the good of our health, of course, but you'll find that most games journalists actually do care about giving decent buying advice to readers.

Ja,
    Rob

• Advertisement

I dunno 'bout all that -sony-abusing power stuff but i played Soul Calibur today in smyths.What a game!!!!!!Its great in the first respect in that it can be just "pick up and play" (good for me).And in the second, ive heard that you can master all the moves and be a right competitive git........er ......who cares its UNBELIEVABLE.Has anyone finished it yet?

-=20-40=-

Back to the magazine stuff.CVG is the only mag to get,definetely non-byast and gives good reviews that you can rely on.Any1 agree?

quote:

I only buy computer mags for whats on the cover CD.
    So you can take all the backhanders you like. tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 08-12-1999).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

when connecting to the net on DC,is it an english no. it's ringing, and how much does it cost.

Talk to ya later

Qbes

P.S. POWER STONE ROCKS!!!!!!! not as much as sc but close enuff

Yeah, it would most likely be a UK number.
    I was also checking out some other stuff on the net, and I think their's some registration fees on top of that huge UK phone bill!
    It's always busy anyway...
    Anyone manage to get connected?

Dang, well,there's nothing out yet that i want to use the net for anyways. I think sega should have made accomadation for irish users too, which is a shame really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 whoami

The dreamcast ISP is due here in ireland before the end of the year.
    (according to retailers and the ads in the shops)
    I think Ocean are providing it. As for dreamcast internet related stuff,
    sega have started a sonic competition - where you upload your times
    to the site. Hardly internet gaming smile.gif but it's a start.

Yea i heard about that, it's got somethin' to do with reebok, dld mini-games so that u can find sonics runners smile.gifsmile.gif ,stoopid blue hedgehog....hehe....run him over with my car........see the spiked *****ly thing then...hehe..haha......ooops.......
    I think the first (proper) game coming out with internet in mind is either virtua on or shenmue, but still they're ages away.

Power stone kicks ass, bit easy on mid-level (4 stars, just like streetfighter and made by the same company.......could have something to do with it. smile.gif)

=Dang it i thought i pressed X=

dang it, why did it star out *****ly, oh yea....but a hedgehog is all *****ly with his sharp spines and all. Sorry bout that.

• Advertisement

dang it there it goes again!!!!!!!!

Advertisement