Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lazer Ethernet

Options
  • 12-12-2002 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I remember reading this: http://www.irelandoffline.org/home/article.php?story=20021118225943582

a while back.. And it got me wondering. Lazer ethernet is unregulated. It's a light. Lazer - and it needs to be aimed. So this guy could aim the lazer from this company to a building just over the south of the border. A rented house maybe.. Providing it is close enough to his company building up north. And then broadcast wireless from there so the offices and whatnot in the south now have bb.

Granted i didn't go into the details of this, it is very much up in the air. But i believe it is possible and should be looked into.

Regards,
    sjones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

If Mr. Harran wanted to get into the telecommunications business, there are many possible solutions to his problem. I doubt that in this case free space optics is the best option for him. It is for short distances (typically not more than 1km for reliability) and high bandwidth. It is a great solution for many businesses out there that may not already be aware of it though.
    The point for this business is that he would like to have the same opportunity in Southern Ireland as he does up North to have a cost effective solution to his telecomms needs.
    A better solution if he wants to get something happening in these towns and be involved in the technology directly would be to find other businesses in the towns with similar needs and share a satellite link between them. This would make it cheaper.
    However, he should be able to avail of existing services, rather than be forced to come up with any solutions himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

i know he should be able to avail of the services here. But at the moment he can't - so i am offering him an alternative to paying eircom mad amounts of money on dialup. And when we can avail of services like the ones up north - then he can do what he pleases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by iwb
    If Mr. Harran wanted to get into the telecommunications business.........

Now theres an idea............. Move over Philip !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

sjones, my intention wasn't to crap on your idea. Any initiative shown is a good thing. You are right, rather than pay Eircom loads of money, he would be better off finding an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by iwb
    Mr. Harran ... should be able to avail of existing services, rather than be forced to come up with any solutions himself.
    Precisely! I am in the business of selling wooden floors, not setting up a telco :)

I appreciate you putting forward the idea, sjones, but it wouldn't be practical - total distance is about 35-40km. The fact that we are even considering ideas like this is yet another indication of how dire the Internet access situation is in Ireland.

In regard to satellite, iwb, that's exactly what I have gone with. Not an ideal solution but at least it's better than nothing :(

Martin Harran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

OK. Nice to see you went with an alternatvie Martin :) Did it cost much to implement?

Took up a special offer Beam were giving - stg£200 installation and stg£150 per month (all plus VAT).

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

digiweb out of Dundalk are doing it cheaper,
    if you are prepared to stump a €1500 installation charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Lets build and launch our own satellite. I'm sure the combined cost would be less than that of €ircon's broadband over about 10 years and theres no atmosphere in space so that means no RATS.

Of course your right though. Even suggesting lasers is truly an indication of just how pathetic it is here.

Originally posted by MDR
    digiweb out of Dundalk are doing it cheaper,
    if you are prepared to stump a €1500 installation charge.
    Choice came down to Digiweb or Beam, went for latter for reasons I won't bother going into.

The eternal optimist in me hopes satellite is short term for me and that the savings on installation will balance out the higher rental.

Martin

• Advertisement
Advertisement