Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2: The Two Towers

Options
  • 11-12-2002 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, another day of gaming and this time it was The Tower Towers, EA's new action/adventure based on the upcoming epic cinema release of the same name. So, Mr. Spiral McAlester brings back Bounty Hunter, and purchases a brand new copy of Two Towers. Well, when we went into Game, we were informed they were sold out. With a stern look from Spiral, or maybe he just had gas, the girl quickly apologized and went out the back to look for a spare copy. A few minutes later she returned with the game. This, in my book, is a good sign. Now, before I continue on, there is chances of spoilers (very weak ones, mind you).

The Two Towers

Cutscenes

Not usually something I'd ad to a review, but man, this one deserves it. For possibly the most ingenious cutscenes I've ever seen. I'll give you an example without ruining everything for you. We slapped the disc in, and fired her up. My subwoofers rumbled as the deeply bass-tastic score of Howard Shore's first epic soundtrack, Fellowship of The Ring, begins to play. You recognize the music, and then the voice. Galadriel. Then you recognize the scene - It's the opening sequence of FoTR. Real movie footage. However, the cutscene takes a turn.. When the movie arrives at the battle in Mordor, and the elves taking up their frontline stand, something truly eye-candy catching happens.. Slowly, and almost unnoticed, the video turns into actual 3d footage, with no pumps or glitches, all smoothly blended. I'm serious, it took a minute for us to realize WTF was going on, until Spiral screamed with something that resembled a school girl with ice down her shirt. The cutscene, moving just like the movie did, suddenly becomes totally interactive in your hands! Next thing you know, you're hacking your way through hundreds of Mordain orcs, and in the background you see Mt. Doom erupting and battles raging in full 3d in the background - you even see lumbering stone trolls striding across the battle field like titanic war machines. After your little melee is finished, the badass Maia himself strides through the battlefield, rendered perfectly in 3d. Sauron strikes down with furious anger (Just like Sam the man) until the cutscene turns back into real footage. The cutscene continues, and that's all I'll say for now. This section deserves a five out of five.

Gameplay

Playing the game through and through with Aragorn, (You have a selection of the Three Hunters: Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas) I found the gameplay, to summarize it in a phrase, to be 'pure satisfaction'. You'll find yourself charging recklessly into a group of Uruk-hai, deflecting their attacks then slashing through their defenses and crushing their armor with fatal blows. EA have cleverly coded the NPCs to act like they should. Orcs might flee in terror. Uruk-hai might charge fearlessly into battle. You also might find yourself in 1v1 duels with a large Uruk or something worse, or something even easier! Simply put, the action is very cinematic, where orcs will drag you into duel, or you might be surrounded and gangraped by ten or more. Each character has a massive amount of combo's taken from the two movies, all can be learned with every SECOND level you gain, and can be bought with UPs (Upgrade Points). Aside from the action, the character's gameplay is basic. Is this a good thing or bad thing? Good, because of the levels. I'll explain later. You cannot jump or crawl, or go prone or look at your wrist watch - Many of these you can do in many of the new games coming out these days. This game brings you back to simple action, and it works. I said it was simple, but I never said it wasn't interactive or immersive. You'll find yourself wading through water at points, saluting enemies and walking stealthily through enemy forts. Although, this could noted as animation details rather then anything else.

Levels/Maps

The levels are sheer brilliance. In eye-candy terms. They're perfectly modeled from the movie. Apparently WETA and New Line gave EA permission to have use of the TTT and FoTR sets/models when WETA were finished with them, and thus creating excellent levels that are perfectly accurate. But this doesn't mean anything without decent textures. It just so happens the textures are beautiful, and what's more, the EA lads have lit all the levels perfectly, each shadow is hand crafted to look exactly like it did in the movie, giving the game a perfect atmosphere. The first two levels are rather interesting, and I won't spoil them. The next few are, as you probably expected, levels set in Moria. From this you can tell that you'll be glad you bought this game before the movie release. The levels are quite inaccurate compared to FoTR. And by that I mean in course of what happens in the movie - So you shouldn't worry about spoilers, for I expect what's in the game is very loosely based what's in the movie. After Moria you get to play a spectacular Amon Hen level, which has been so well done, you'll find yourself wondering if you're watching the movie or not. The levels from then on span through the journeys of the Three Hunters (Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. Duh), including Fangorn forest, one of my favorites. Unique, and featuring something I bloody love: Stone Trolls. Another thing that impressed me is the guys in EA obviously know their stuff, making Stone Trolls considerably different then Cave Trolls - Atleast Peter Jackson's cave trolls. The levels sprawl on through chapters in Rohan, Westfold and Helm's Deep.

Graphics

Brilliant. Neither over-done nor under-done, the graphics are smooth and perfectly textured. You'll find when a group of orcs surround you and you're slashing your way out, the simplicity of the graphics pay off, and you don't a mess of dirty colors and details you don't see from afar. Not much more I can add to this section, the graphics are simply very well done. I will however add this in here: Sound. The sounds are another thing I loved. When you're longsword slashes against an enemy's sword it clangs beautiful, and the slashing noises from both yourself and enemy's swords alike makes you feel like you might suffer from a piticularly sharp and painful death any moment. The soundtrack is pure brilliance, and dynamic like no other. While other games, especially LucasArt games, have dynamic music, none quite make you so involved in the game. Wading through water, silence and ambiance takes over with a light score in the background.. Then suddenly, a goblin leaps from the water, and splits your face open! Trumpets blare and the drums begin a rampant beat that makes you go, "FOOK THIS!!111".

Replay value

By default, the replay value is 3. You can complete the game with Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas. Each with a slightly different path. Then ofcourse, the game changes with difficulty settings too. Personally, this is a game I'd love to play over and over. Unfortunately, it is short and after finishing it the third time, it'll probably go on your shelf to gather some dust0r.

Summary

Nine Arnorian Rangers out of Ten (9/10)

Pros: It's simple, the action is well thought out and not too complex, the graphics are stunning and the cutscenes will keep you entranced.
    Cons: It's too damned short! You'll fly through it. Some levels are EXTREMELY hard. But that doesn't make up for the lack of levels. I could've seen atleast three or four more levels added. Another con is the fact you get unseen TTT footage rammed down your throat allot. Not for the spoiler-free movie watcher.

Cutscenes/Graphics: 9/10

Gameplay: 8/10

Levels/Maps: 10/10

Soundtrack: 10/10

Replay Value: 7/10

-DA-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Well, I never thought much about the game..ontill now :)
    You make it sound so excellant it makes me wish I had a bloody ps2. Well I guess the spare change will be coming out of the pocket and the sleeping bag out of the closet, as a rental and a night in a friends house (with a ps2) is in order.
    gg DA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

sounds fantastic - where's the best place in dublin to buy this?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hrm. I usually buy my gear in Game (henry or grafton st.), but I recently popped into Smyths Toy store to buy GTA:VC (would you believe they released it a few days before most game/music stores in town? Odd), not only was it released early, but it was the best part of a tenner CHEAPER. I think I'll stick to buying games in Smyths from now on if they do these kind of deals. Try Smyths (Jervis St.)

-DA-

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dark-Angel
    Odd), not only was it released early, but it was the best part of a tenner CHEAPER. I think I'll stick to buying games in Smyths from now on if they do these kind of deals. Try Smyths (Jervis St.)

Smyths are almost always cheaper than Game. It's been so for quite a while

(just think about all the extra games you could have had if you'd discovered that sooner:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

gonna have to give this a whirl when i get paid then ;)

good review, only hope when i buy it it lives upto it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Nice review adam. The weird thing is you got ALL THAT REVIEW from watching me play the whole thing!! You played one level and I did the rest and you enjoyed it as much as i did just watching! :D Let that be an example to the rest of you of how noice this game is! Class game well worth a shag. Pitty it's a Santa present for my little 7 year old brother to go with his playstation 2 also from santa.

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeh... Except when you got so stuck you threw the controller at me in a fit of rage!! ... *coughs*

Yeah. One level. I AM ISILDUR.

-DA-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

picked it up for €55 in HMV grafton st (actually €49.50 with student card) - compares well to the €65 game are looking for. Anyone got a price check for smyths?

The game is great - think golden axe in lovely 3d with new moves as you go up in levels. The movie-to-cutscene transitions are pretty amazing - showing you just how true to the film the game's scenes are. Good fun, easy to get into, and pleasantly difficult even on normal mode - i've had to retry levels quite a few times :)

Haven't finished it yet, but have noticed that you unlock things (above and below the main levels on the selection screen) as you go along. Things like interviews with the cast & extra levels. Nice to have some extra bits in there.

Great game - we'll see how replayable it is (though at least you have 3 different characters to go through). Perhaps my only gripe is that the 'special moves' you learn for each character seem to repeat themselves for each character - i'd have been happier with more unique moves.

Colm

Advertisement