Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a good pub?

Options
  • 10-12-2002 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello,

My brother is considering starting an Irish themed pub/microbrewery and I was curious what made a good pub?

Thanks,

Trey Shehan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good air conditioning. Nothing worse than an excessively smoky pub.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Well, pubs are different things to different folks! If you are making an irish-themed pub, and you'd want irish people feel at home, teach the barmen to pour a proper pint of guinness :)

If you want to go for something maybe a little more kitschy, try someone like these guys

Things you'll find in a proper irish pub

- Guinness
    - Tayto crisps
    - people smoking major/john player blue
    - awful music
    - a somewhat sad and angry drunken middle-aged man

Seeing as this board is an irish run forum (in ireland), you'll get the real opinions here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mm.ie

I know a man who builds Irish Pubs. Not yer plastic paddy guinness/Murphys McDonalds style pubs now, but genuine hard as yer ass Irish emporiums.....

Anyway he says what is needed to make a really good Irish Pub is..........Irish Staff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I agree with what regi said bar No good damn cheesy music! If want traditional music get a proper band to play not a horrible cd.

Good pints although thats getting harder to find nowadays:(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mm.ie

Good pints although thats getting harder to find nowadays.....

I am a guinness drinker.

Thats not really true........in the 60's there was an art in it....now however its all a bit like milk.....open the carton and pour.

I mean everything from the cool room to the taps are controlled now by the brewery..

there is NO excuse for a bad pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Paddy-Joe is into the local every morning at 12:30, drinks for about 4 hours, falls asleep and drools on himself for a few, wakes up , has a few pints and goes home. If Paddy-Joe and his ilk were not welcome then really it wouldn't be a proper Irish pub IMHO.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sure what would Irish people know about Irish pubs? don't they all drink in Spy and Zanzivar nowadays? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

you need EXCELLENT guinness. Good guinness will not do!
    Tayto chrisps.
    Pistachio Nuts.
    Some foreign beer like Grolsch and Warsteiner. Erdinger too!
    And the old reliables, bud, heineken, miller, carling...
    Prices also make a good pub. Guinness @ €3.00!!!!

I'm kinda partial to Hogans, up on Georges Street, in Dublin. Its nice and relaxing. But if i'm out for the night, i love those bars like Turks head, The Q Bar. (its been a while since i lived in Dublin, so i'm a bit out of the loop).

Traditional Irish bars have a tendacy to be morbid little places, a bit like funerals. Of course there are exceptions, but the majority i've been in tend to be a atmosphere killer.

Regardless, whatever type u build, there'll be people of that mindset that'll go.

Advertisement