Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

56k online with the latest games

Options
  • 09-12-2002 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

hey,
    Just looking for some help as regards which recent FPS games on the PC are actually playable with a 56k modem.
    I currently play HL mods only, but getting a new comp soon.
    So, how playable are UT2003, BF1942 and MOH with 56?

Do any of them have client-side prediction HL-style, or is a Q3-style "Guess where they r gonna be in a seconds time" ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Usual story ,stick to UK servers if theres no Irish ones,Battlefield is unplayable with 56k on servers with more than 4-6 players,
    UT 2003 netcode aint bad,MOH not too bad either.
    I play MOH and UT 2003 with 56k,refresh server list regularly to get best pings and youll be ok with 56k,when you do find good fast servers save them to your favourites list .
    When i go back to my favourites all is well once my isp is running ok.
    You cannot beat Half life mods like Counter strike and Day of defeat with a 56k,Half life was made when 56k was everywhere hence the great netcode for us poor 56kers.
    Its not all doom and gloom ,a few golden rules and patience and your 56k will be surprisingly playable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Cheers DCully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have been playing BF1942 on my 56k with 50man servers, i usually get a nice 220 -> 250 ping, which can be better then what i get with DoD :)

Though every 5min or so my ping would go upto 1008 for no reason, strange that. Just ONLY use the EAUK and UK/Irish servers really. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The bottom line is that 56k is not going to be wonderful for online games and is only going to get worse. Keep your eye out for a reasonably priced DSL offering.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Is that playable Winters? I've tried BF1942 on my 56k (albeit briefly) - I think it was an English server - and it was laggy as hell. Maybe I just chose a bad server, or there's been lag-improving patches since. It's a great game, I'd love to have a proper MP game with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Keep you eye out for a reasonably priced DSL offering

lol

I'll start saving for it or my coffin, whichever comes first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

hahaha I know but I'm still hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Jazz
    Is that playable Winters? I've tried BF1942 on my 56k (albeit briefly) - I think it was an English server - and it was laggy as hell. Maybe I just chose a bad server, or there's been lag-improving patches since. It's a great game, I'd love to have a proper MP game with it.

Yea, it really depends on the server and a Good Graphics Card. I was one of only 4 people with a ping over 100 and that was on a 50 man server. Had no lag execpt for thoese occasional jumps to 1000 ping :( though i think that might of been somone pinging me or something.... anywhy's. Its fun :)

No problem what so ever, though one time when i was in a P-51, i started to lag just before i parachuted out as i headed towards the ground. Not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

I am finding online gaming too frustrating. I have an ISDN line and dial into Oceanfree (only use these as they have the best backbone into the UK - got this info through some other Boards.ie mates).

Don't hold your breath on DSL - Eircom is sheit outside of that cute mouse that does the adds... where was I., oh yes... go to the Ireland Offline forum for all the details on this topic.

So, I would try to go to at least to ISDN as the fluctuation on a modem is quite high - so just when you've snuck up behind that Russian everything freezes and you come back into action picking the shrapnel out of your bits.

Specific to BF1942 - never go to a server with more than 16 players - remember the more players the more traffic between you and the game server (same rule applies to MOHAA and RTCW). Also, avoid levels with a long field of view (such as Bocage - I think) - best maps are Berlin and Stalingrad.

Also, forget GameSpy and use the All-Seeing-Eye. The best game searcher I have found to date.

Hope that helps (probably only frustrated you even more…)

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

2 words that dont go together =

56k / latest games.

soz but its true imo, after i got cable when i stayed back in scotland i never wanted to look back, i plain refused to use 56k when i moved over to dublin, im now on isdn and even that is considerably laggy compared...

56k just makes online games, well erm **** :p

and my main game ive played for the past 3 years or so is HL, yes it has lag compensation which is a decent thing for 56k, even still though hl is far more enjoyable with a better connection, even isdn is half decent for half-life and quake3 (though q3 is alot harder when moving from cable --> isdn )

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention that Jolt run 56k only servers for the most popular online shooters.
    I play Mohaa,DOD,Counter-strike and UT2003 on them.
    Anyone with a ping lower than 120 is kicked aotomatically,which prevents the broadband users sucking up all the bandwidth.
    I was very sceptical about these 56k only servers but to my shock they are amazing and very very playable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dc got Ips for those servers.??

I have DSL and bejebus playing online is a dream 40 ping on Spearhead servers :D

100/150 ping to US servers.

I used play on the clan server a lot and get 150 ping and thought it was great (after yrs of 56k) now i only play on the clan server once a week as "my preciouuusssssssss " 40 ping on Uk servers makes me a god online :D

Same with BF servers ping about 60 /70 and with the new patch the game is playable.

UT3 you can play that on any server great netcode.

Other games i have played online recently.

Need for Speed 2 not bad net code is shoddy at best need to play UK peeps only.

Fifa 2003 awful game and even worse online i lagged for a minute with a UK guy and he scored 3 goals. Not the type of game you can recover from lag in.

James bond ,just uninstall it now its cack online or offline.

Age of mythology awesome online demands DSL ,cant see anyone on a 56k playing this online.

New World Order great coop game a bit heavy on the graphics card but very playable.

Have a few other games to try out in the next week.
    Me loves my job :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Pings of 40ms on DSL KdjaC, - who are you with - Esat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Eircom.

On Blueyonder and Barrysworld Servers.
    Also at peak times and playing Spearhead one of the laggiest games ever made (bad mapping tbh)

kdjaC

For racing online you cannot beat Grand prix legends and Nascar 2002 both by Papyrus.
    Ive raced in a few leagues and hundreds of reces and have pings around 200 on my 56k on UK servers ,since you are not depending on aim accuracy and only driving your car if lag occurs the guys around you disappear momentarily but this is rare even on 56k.
    With Nascar you can race aginst 41 other drivers with 19 on GPL and let me tell you NOTHING compares to this experience.
    Id love to have DSL and play the amazing Battlefield 1942 online.

As Kdja asked for heres some 56k only ips

MOHAA 195.149.21.56:12203
    Return to castle Wolfenstein 195.149.21.56.27960
    Counter-strike 195.149.21.35:27015
    " " :27025
    " " :27035
    Day of defeat 195.149.21.35:27045

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Try some online flight Sims too like IL-2 Sturmovik. Excellent game, which doesnt require too much bandwidth.

All games also rely on how much ram you have too, the more ram => smoother play.

Delta Force Black Hawk Down online seems ok too for 56k. (Demo so far)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I've basically given up on online gaming too. I'm only 56k and its just too frustrating. After working in a bit company for a few years where we had huge lan games every lunchtime, online gaming on 56k is just absolutely dire. I've since left that company and I only play games with decent single player game play.

Though I did try GPL on 56k and I have to say I agree that it was fine even in a game with 10 or so players. Its the one game I'd would probably consider playing online.

However all the others HL, OFP, DF, Homeworld, were just too miserable. Having to spray an area 50ft across in order to hit another player as he warps around your screen is just pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

Hi guys,

you know how Eircom keep advertising the HighSpeed service... but they never call it by name... so yesterday I got a pamphlet in the post... opened it reading "Internet jargon explained"... “Yaaa Eircom... you tell us how this really works” I thought... and on of the pages there it was - a diagram showing the connection options, 64k... indeed they even had the audacity to put in a 128k connection, although to my knowledge most (I believe there are one or two exceptions) ISPs run on a 64k backbone... which indeed they didn't cover. :confused:

I wasn’t too sure if I was going to role around in stitches or just fall to the grown in tears... but either way, we haven’t a hope guys. :rolleyes:

The Duke : ))

Advertisement