Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is their room enough for 3?

Options
  • 09-12-2002 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Traddiontally their has always been two consoles in the market, is their room enough for 3?
    Lets take into account some facts,
    Theirs Microsoft with its near infinite money
    Theirs Sony with its impossible lead in sales (but its beginning to slip)
    Also Nintendo with its loyal (almost cult following) not to mention its constant reputation for Quality (but their not marketing the console properly to EU consumers)

So do you think theirs room enough for 3? Or will one be snuffed out?!
    Or is their enough room in the market for 3 consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

well there was two, sega and nintendo.

after a small consolewar, nintendo eventually wiped the floor wit sega, then sony came in and finished it off. now we have two, enter microsoft and their evil ways.

personally i think the x-box will snuff it, ps2 has too much popularity and as u said nintendo owners tend to stay loyal to nintendo [myself included : NES, SNES, N64, Gameboy, GBA, soon to have gc :)]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The X-Box won't die.

If theres one thing that MS are truly good at it's doing all the business/advertisement/general sculduggery required to make money.

They'd probably only pull out if the others managed to make them consider it as the best business choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Microsoft will just keep throwing money at the X-Box and it's successors until it does eventually come out on top.

Nintendo are probably most likely to go the way of Sega, but they still have huge resources and aren't doing too badly with the GC so it's still very doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    well there was two, sega and nintendo.

after a small consolewar, nintendo eventually wiped the floor wit sega, then sony came in and finished it off. now we have two, enter microsoft and their evil ways.

personally i think the x-box will snuff it, ps2 has too much popularity and as u said nintendo owners tend to stay loyal to nintendo [myself included : NES, SNES, N64, Gameboy, GBA, soon to have gc :)]
    I dont particularly remember Nintendo wiping the floor with sega before the Playstation came out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

The snes hammered the mega drive once it came out, then with the big mistakes made by sega with the neptune/32x cock up they were hit hard. the saturn then was first off the blocks into the 32bit market. sony then jumped in after with the playstation and within 2 years had killed off the saturn. sega learnt nothing from the mistakes of the saturn and suffered badly again with the dreamcast which eventually pushed them out of the hardware market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

But didn't the MegaDrive SELL more than the Snes :rolleyes:

I doubt Nintendo will go the way Sega did.
    Just buy the console you want, and don't care how many it sells, as long as it has good games that you want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Nope. the snes sold an awful lot more than the mega drive.
    after a bit of googling ive come up with 29million for the mega drive and over 48 and a quater million snes units.
    another thing to remember is that snes games were still being made up to 1998(Frogger being the last and i think Rockman and Forte was the last in japan). the last mega drive game was made many year earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Ah the Snes/Magadrive debate.

Yes, Celt. The megadrive sold more than the Snes.....in EUROPE. One game, an English made game (:p) pushed the Snes sales astronomically high. And that game was called Donkey Kong Country. Theres a comprehensive article on the internet somewhere about the demise of Sega. DKC was the game that decided that war.

In fact, the release of DK64 pushed more N64s than Dreamcasts in Japan when that came out.

I still remember that Christmas I got DKC, the CD you got with it was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Microsoft will just keep throwing money at the X-Box and it's successors until it does eventually come out on top.

You're probably right but I wonder if Microsoft are as stable as everyone is saying. Their profits are down this year according to the reg. And wasn't IBM in a similar position to microsoft 10 years ago and they got knocked off their perch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Kevok
    Ah the Snes/Magadrive debate.

Yes, Celt. The megadrive sold more than the Snes.....in EUROPE. One game, an English made game (:p) pushed the Snes sales astronomically high. And that game was called Donkey Kong Country. Theres a comprehensive article on the internet somewhere about the demise of Sega. DKC was the game that decided that war.

In fact, the release of DK64 pushed more N64s than Dreamcasts in Japan when that came out.

I still remember that Christmas I got DKC, the CD you got with it was cool.
    Hardly wiping the floor with it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

okay , the snes never wiped the floor with the megadrive..

it only sold more and thats including europe,

dkc wasn't the game, remember the streetfighter snes pack that everyone was willing to sell their granny for ,

it sold so well because if they went down the arcade to try and play it they probably got mugged or some knacker beat them up!

three can survive , its stable at the moment, lets enjoy it , dirt cheap consoles ~ marginally cheaper games than yesteryear
    but the quality has surely improved overall

microsoft will not go away , b-b-billy boy gambled on losing 2 billion just to get his market share, well he's half way there

and frankly speaking an xbox with halo, splinter cell, sega gt 2002 and jet set radio future for €330 ~~ he can have my money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

The snes didnt whipe the floor with the MD, whiping the floor is what the ps2 is compaired to the Gamecube/x-box.

also microsoft aint gonna pull out, the x-box isnt going to snuff it, fact is they are after the East asia market of malaysia and China and Vietnam, Korea and so on.

Ninty would be the ones I'd been concerned about, they've already had 2 failed majour titles which didnt launch the Cube, and they could do with metroide prime asap over here.

NINTY own the handheld market, so more than likely there will be 3 for quite some time.

Would Sega comeback though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by Thorbar
    You're probably right but I wonder if Microsoft are as stable as everyone is saying. Their profits are down this year according to the reg. And wasn't IBM in a similar position to microsoft 10 years ago and they got knocked off their perch.

Nearly everyone’s profits are down in the last year... The fact is Microsoft still have buckets of money to throw at the xbox to make it work. The other sides of their business are still immensely profitable. You don’t have to like them but they appear willing to do whatever it takes to make this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

ok ok, the snes didnt WIPE THE FLOOR wit the md.

And i dont think the ps2 has wiped the floor wit the gc/xbox, not yet anyway. there seems to b a steady flow of good games comin out for the gc at the moment, i think ps's quality of games has gone up alot since ps1, and theres alot of ****y "pc 9.99" games for the x-box.

[i think its sweet the way sega are now, in part, workin for nintendo :) ]

if u ever watch any old films or tv programmes plp usually played nintendos, now they tend to have playstations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yes there's plenty of room for 3 consoles. Just buy all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

might be an idea to merge this and other thread.

also, I'd like to point out that Microsoft are the new boys this year, that could be why there are so many PC 9.99 games for it.
    give em time to work with developers, like sony had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The Xbox is also getting a nice following due to the hackability factor.

A friend has his chipped (a non soldering chip so it can be switched on and off), he flashed a bios onto it and has snes9x for the xbox and a few thousand snes games to play with it.

It also plays divx's (though it doesnt like cd-r's a whole lot). It lets him copy his games to the hard drive so they load even faster. (The bios gives the xbox an ip address and runs an ftp server to copy files up to it, how cool is that).

Plus the fact that you can run linux on it if you like ( http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/ ). Theres an Xbox distro of Mandrake 9 out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The Xbox is also getting a nice following due to the hackability factor.

Cult following same as the Dreamcast. This actually hurts Microsofts profits on the machines and the all-important software "tie" ratio really badly, and is part of the reason why some big publishers are wary of the platform.

Chipping could kill Xbox stone dead if it became widespread, in a way that it could never have really damaged any previous console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Originally posted by Shinji
    Cult following same as the Dreamcast. This actually hurts Microsofts profits on the machines and the all-important software "tie" ratio really badly

We can only hope so. Bloody Bill Gates

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

well i`ll go out on a limb and say i do think there is room for 3! ANd for all our sakes lets hope there is! Competition is what keeps this game alive for us punters! Imagine if another intel/amd arived on the secne ! how much would we pay for microchips then !

With the ever growing game industry the room for 3 should become a reality. The game industry likes to claim its bigger than the film industry and i may well be! But there is more than one film companny and many have gone the way of the Dream cast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Hmm, little attention has been played to the fact that the Xbox appeals to people that otherwise would not be attracted to consoles (myself included).

If they can couple this with the mass market typical console purchasers, then they will have a decided advantage.

matt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

xbox games have been crap to say the least imo since its release..

as ive said in another topic ive only seen one good game that actually made me play it for hours on end and that is halo, and even then it was only the multi player co-op that kept us all playing for hours on end...

yet to see another good game for it that can hold you to the screen..

ps2 however, well playstation have always been widely known for there wide array of game options and its no surprise that theres been a load of good games come out of it so far.

gamecube though as you say has its very loyal fans, although i personally think the nintendo is aimed at the younger generation i have friends who buy it religiously, and our nintendo playstation debate can go on for hrs, but they stick by it loyally (fair play to em) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Hmm, little attention has been played to the fact that the Xbox appeals to people that otherwise would not be attracted to consoles (myself included).

That's not any more true for the Xbox than for any other platform. If you mean PC gamers, then I think perhaps you're missing just how utterly unimportant the PC is in the grand scale of things when it comes to the games industry.

The PlayStation appeals to people who would never touch any other console because of its brand recognition and titles like GTA or Pro Evo.

The Cube appeals to people who wouldn't consider any other console because of the Nintendo name and recognisable franchises like Mario and Zelda, not to mention the machines percieved "safe bet" status among parents buying for their kids.

The Xbox.... Er, I'm honestly not sure who it's meant to be appealing to right now outside the console demographic. Microsoft have chosen to go head to head with Sony and spent precisely zero time carving out their own niche. They've got the cash to blow on this, but it does guarantee that Xbox will never be a success in Japan and will always play second fiddle (if not third fiddle) in Europe.

Advertisement