Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESAT adsl - Who ordered it, who's actually got it?

Options
  • 09-12-2002 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

A friend of mine ordered ADSL from Esat last August, at the time he was told he was one of the first people to sign on for that particular exchange and he'ld have to wait up to 3 weeks due to the 'opposition' not being 'forthgiving' in such matters. :mad:
    He called Esat numerous times, yet is still waiting to recieve any information whatsoever, and this is 4 months later...

Said Friend suspects the whole offer is some fancyful feasability study but i'm inclined to think its more likely either Esat's pathetic staff performance or Eircoms anti-competative nature.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else ordered ADSL from Esat and have you actually got it yet?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Andor
    A friend of mine ordered ADSL from Esat last August.
    Said Friend suspects the whole offer is some fancyful feasability study but i'm inclined to think its more likely either Esat's pathetic staff performance or Eircoms anti-competative nature.

I would go straight to REGWHOP , the Regulator Who Has No(=0) Power and beeeeetch Here and loudly. Name names and detail dates.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

We ordered DSL in Galway about three months ago when we were moving offices. We were originally told it would be installed before we got into the new premises - that was almost two months ago now and we're still waiting for anything definate.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

Well I (Galway also) ordered a 512k connection in September. I mailed the salesman regularly asking various questions. I was able to Fax all the documents, no hassle, and 4 weeks later I got it installed, no problems.

This is the guy I was dealing with, might be of some use

> Stephen Harrington
    > Business Accounts Executive
    > Esat BT
    > Grand Canal Plaza
    > Upper Grand Canal Street
    > Dublin 4
    > T +353 (0) 1 432 8055
    > F +353 (0) 1 432 5727
    > E stephen.harrington@esat.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I assume it is off the Mervue exchange. What are the excuses and from whom?

I heard there were 'problems' with Eglinton St but not off Mervue.

Eircoms exchange in Eglinton St is actually owned by An Post. theres some issue about whether LLU has to be done underground outside Fat O Mahertys front door. These would be 56nnnn numbers and not 7nnnnnn numbers.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

I'm connected to the Mervue Exchange alright. About a mile away, Tirellan Heights. 76XXXX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

This is actually in one of the Cork exchanges, i'm not sure as to who exactly he was talking to, but any enquiries that he made were answered with the usual ol' "ahh yea, any day now shur, we're waiting on Eircom!"
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jilm

I've been waiting 8 weeks (Dooradoyle exchange in Limerick), still haven't been given a date for installation. I went for the unbundled loop option and had the telephone line activated especially for ADSL. So I'm currently paying Eircom line rental while waiting for ESAT to pull finger :mad:
    Any advice to speed the process up?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭DC

Chuchfield, Cork. 4 weeks from order to installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Well I rang ESat twice initially to enquire about the Terenure exchange. Both reps said it was live and were happy to take my order, but that it would take 4-5 weeks .. both sent app forms to me (in the post). Fair enough I thought, it would be mid Jan when I got, shur I can't have that much use for it over Chrimbo anyway.

It was only when I rang enquiring what CLI was (my phone number!!), they told me that Terenure wasn't yet live, and was expected to be live in the first couple of weeks in Jan. Would the 4-5 week time delay be from then or from now? From then, so I was looking at end of Feb. She clarified this and I rang a second time (a second opinion is always good), and was told the same.

So, when it came to selling me DSL, twas yelling outta Terenure exchange to come and get it, yet when it came to actually getting the damn thing, all of a sudden there was an extra month or two involved (and that's if you believe their timelines).

But the most bizarre is that eircom (6 weeks previous) had told me that my line would "never" be compatible. I asked what that meant and she said she didn't know, but that most fails were coming up as "not yet". I rang 3 times to confirm this. Anyway a day after my first call to ESatBT, whom asked for a/c and phone numbers and went off and checked (what I dont know), there was a voice mail from eircon saying that I could get it (so I had gone from never to now in 6 weeks, and getting 3 other dsl providers involved)

/End of rant

Moral of the story: don't believe a telco
    .cg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

is there any places to find out where all the exchanges are ?

took a quick peek at esat site but couldnt see anything relating to what im looking for.

any of you any ideas? am in dubin area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

For anyone in Cork go to http://www.corkcorp.ie/maps and browse to the map of your area. You will see where your exhange is.

So far Ballincollig-Dennehys Cross-Churchfield-Quaker Road (Barracks Street-Friar Street-Tower Street area)-Churchfield-Wellington Rd-Douglas and Mallow are definitely done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

An eircom engineer i saw working in our local village for a laugh and asked when we would be getting ADSL in the area,I received a puzzled look then the dawn of realisation spread across his face oooh that new thing for the internet?? aa sure no idea m8 another 2/3 years maybe, then he continued to say what i wanted was ISDN grrr.I politely pointed out i got rid of ISDN about a year ago coz i had run out of children to sell to pay for it.Soooo dont talk to me about weeks and months grrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I would love to be waiting for the choice but cos i live in Donegal i will have no choice except eircon cos esat have no fibre up here.

Advertisement