Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splinter Cell

Options
  • 07-12-2002 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Got it yesterday, played for about 8 hours straight, falling asleep in work.

Brilliant game well worth getting.
    on Xbox by the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

*lil sighs*

Pity I gotta wait till after Christmas to get SC on the PC

[afaik tis after Christmas it's getting the European release. Anybody know if twill be out in the States round Christmas?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Nope

The game is complete not allowed to be released this side of xmas.
    Out same day in US.

Xbox exclusive.

kdajc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

yeah best game out on the Xbox atm imo.

Love it. Very adictive, especially once you get on to having the cooler gadgets like sticky shockers and sticky camera's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

No games this month for me - letting everything backlog until christmas day - then I play everything over the festive period while eating unreal amounts of lavish food and, naturally, getting plump.

Ooo, can't wait... is it really that good? The reviews have been a tad underwhelming, then again the only complaint I can see is "too structured" - but it IS a stealth game, it's like complaining that you can't run out of the stadium in a football game - or how you can't decide to get out of the car in a racing game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Its nothing special..tbh*

*the truth.*

*a lie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Its nothing special..tbh*

*the truth.*

*a lie.

chernobyl are you still drunk?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Very good game,but its all scripted from start to finish.
    Each time you play the exact same thing occurs,same timing ,exact same position of enemies etc.
    Longevity is non existant with no multiplayer.
    BUT apart from that its the best single player game on xbox .
    I borrowed it of the bro for the week ,ill wait for pc version to purchase ,will be a lot better using a mouse and keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yeah, it's a purely singleplayer game - which is fair enough. Increasingly developers are going to have to choose whether they want to make an excellent singleplayer game or an excellent multiplayer game, because making both isn't possible without huge compromises.

I really don't understand people waiting for it on the PC - the console version is superb, and that's what it's been tweaked for.... Then again, loads of people waited for GTA3 on the PC and I've never understood that one either. I often wonder if it's less a case of "waiting for it on the PC" and more a case of "waiting for it on a platform I can easily get warez for"... Given that GTA3 PC sold all of about 30k copies in the UK compared to over a million copies of the PS2 version, but yet LOADS of people seem to have played it on the PC, this seems like a fairly likely answer.

And probably explains why so few developers are willing to take the time to port anything to the PC nowadays really.

Fair point, but i think PC users are also more snobbish about games and think they get superior versions but like GTA3, often get lemons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Shinji
    I often wonder if it's less a case of "waiting for it on the PC" and more a case of "waiting for it on a platform I can easily get warez for

Hmm - a little bit narrowminded, Shinji. I'm waiting for the PC version because I don't own a games console. I'm sure there's plenty of other in th same boat.

Implying that we're waiting for a warez version is a cheap and snide remark. I expected more from you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone. However I think the sales figures tend to speak for themselves - as do the sheer number of people who I /know/ played the warez version of GTA3 on the PC.

Just about every copy played on the PS2 was paid for. The majority of copies played on the PC, from what I can see, were not.

If I was a games developer I'd view the development of a PC version of my game as an open invitation to piracy. I know that quite a few real developers think that way, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Fair point, but i think PC users are also more snobbish about games and think they get superior versions but like GTA3, often get lemons.

yip. tis how I look at it anyway.

keyboard, mouse use in GTA3 is sooo much easier than PS joypad.
    Could never get into GTA3 on the PS2 cos o the controls.

Much easier to get into therefore more enjoyable. [for me anyway]

Just about every copy played on the PS2 was paid for.

Even the hardcore 56k'er has been killed by DVD and no one wants a ripped game, especially GTA as the soundtrack is a crucial part of the package.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Even the hardcore 56k'er has been killed by DVD and no one wants a ripped game, especially GTA as the soundtrack is a crucial part of the package.

I would love to believe "no one wants a ripped game, especially GTA", but its really only wishful thinking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Yeah, it's a purely singleplayer game - which is fair enough. Increasingly developers are going to have to choose whether they want to make an excellent singleplayer game or an excellent multiplayer game, because making both isn't possible without huge compromises.
    Hasnt stopped a few games company's doing it superbly, Goldeneye and Perfect dark spring to mind (then again, rare are a bloody amazing games company)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It's impressive enough technically but I found it kinda boring. It gives you all these neat and simple moves/controls but then makes each mission too linear to really get a lot of fun using them.

It's a not too great version of Delta Force meets Thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Kaimera
    yip. tis how I look at it anyway.

keyboard, mouse use in GTA3 is sooo much easier than PS joypad.
    Could never get into GTA3 on the PS2 cos o the controls.

Much easier to get into therefore more enjoyable. [for me anyway]

Something PC players are gonna miss out on is the excellent way lockpicking is handled on the Xbox version.

You rotate one of the Analog sticks slowly around in a circle, stopping when the controller starts to vibrate. Hold it there for a second till that "stage" of the lock is picked (stops vibrating), then start moving around in a circle again till you find the next stage (upto 6).
    This really is a lot of fun and leads to some panicking and screaming as you attempt to pick the lock before the guard comes around the corner again.

Holding down the "pick lock" key on a keyboard doesnt sound like quite as much fun. :(

matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭festivala

Originally posted by _CreeD_
    It's impressive enough technically but I found it kinda boring. It gives you all these neat and simple moves/controls but then makes each mission too linear to really get a lot of fun using them.

It's a not too great version of Delta Force meets Thief.

I agree. Technically it's great. To play: zzzzzzzzzz

Still, technically great seems to suit most people.

Advertisement