Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Plough and the Stars

• 07-12-2002 1:35pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Went to see it in the Abbey last night. I'd forgotten what an important play it is. Powerful and covering a very wide range of issues. From a historical point of view its an incredible play which captures the time very accurately I feel.

Its also as funny as fvck in many places. As someone who's uncles ALL resemble Fluther in size and comportment, I couldnt stop laughing at some of his antics, though he's the only one who really comes out of the play with his honour and respect intact.

The production is better this time then the last time they played it, though it was good then too (I just didnt like the use of video with an almost 1984 feeling to it the last time they put it on). The set REALLY works well with the story, probably the best set I've seen on stage to be honest.

The ending is as powerful as ever but is well done this time. The play certainly keeps you with it even though you have to listen hard so as not to lose the words in the accents.

Anyway, I would have to recommend it to anyone who likes Irish theatre...

DeV.

Advertisement