Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North West Members?

Options
  • 05-12-2002 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

I'm just wondering how many people are from the North West and trying to get "affordable access:" either through 56k dial up/adsl or other ways?

I don't think that Sligo is going to get this until we get something moving in the County, so I'm asking that all Net Surfers sign in here.

Mick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I'ma regular contributor to the ireland offline board suggest you post there.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=60

we are organising a meeting with TD's in Donegal suggest you try the same with sligo although atleast sligo town will gwt DSL from eircom and esat early next year (probably?) and you have some competition

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

What we need for donegal is wireless internet. It's pretty much a given that we aren't going to be getting ADSL up here any time soon, wireless is much less hassel.

...sugest that to the TD's maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

wireless sounds good to me. anything to get off this 56k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Originally posted by ednwireland
    I'ma regular contributor to the ireland offline board suggest you post there.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=60

we are organising a meeting with TD's in Donegal suggest you try the same with sligo although atleast sligo town will gwt DSL from eircom and esat early next year (probably?) and you have some competition

1) I also post sometimes on IOFFL and read it every evening.

2) Meetings with politicians is one of the reasons that I started this thread; hoping to get more actual "Sligo" members.

3) As you say Eircom and "probably" Esat (inlikely in he early part of next year. So unless something is done we'll end paying MORE to Eircom, a thought that sends shivers done my back.

Thanks for replying folks.

Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i used to contribute to the forum a while ago but recently i've lost interest in it. i read it often enough but hardly ever post there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Am on ISDN at home at the moment but got satellite installed in offices up the road (Muff).

Think u can get satellite if ure somewhere near to Derry afaik. ah i dunno ....ill post details teusday sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

any of ye from sligo here?

obewan..

we can get adsl from esat and eircom here in sligo :-)

I have it on order.esat adsl

also got 10+ clients ordered to be setup

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

living in South Donegal
    Hi Guys

my hopes are for cheap or affordable 3G out of the north as I live close to the border but many miles from an exchange.
    I dont think sat-internet is affordable for the individual, but I have been using europeonline(filefetch) for the last 18 months

3g is unlikely to provide you with this as the chargiung structure will have to take into account the cost of the licenses in the uk which is unlikely to mean cheap affordable 3g access also the current view is to charge per mb which will rack up huge costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

just heard today that one of the phone companies does not expect to launch 3G until 2005, and this will of course be on the UK mainland first. there might be unlimited internet access here by then, but I wont hold my breath.

Donegal town is not on the radar for DSL upgrade and neither is anywhere else in S Donegal basically eircom can't get enough money out of the gov. to put it in and they will not spend any money on infrastructure without there being the possiblity for large revenue opportunities, just see the current situation (the last 2-3 months) of no ISDN lines available in donegal town , unless your a minister who moves their office into pier one.
    when i've got the installation fee i'm seriously looking at satellite broadband as 2 miles out of donegal town i doubt i will ever get DSL.

adsl in sligo :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

anyone from donegal goaith doabair???????

Advertisement