Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Eircom fail so many line tests?

Options
  • 05-12-2002 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I'm confused. Eircom are failing so many people on line tests. But how come Eircom can fail you for a ADSL line test but a 3rd party can say its ok? Surely its using the same line and exchange? Is it simply that they don't want to roll out the service as they can get more money from ISDN and dialup. If this is so, surely this can be challenged some how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

I guess by keeping the parameters high, they believe they can minimise support phone calls/callouts etc
    jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

What it does is artifically reduce the amount of people who can avail of the service. What they are doing is like trying to swim and trying not to get wet. Surely support is part and parcel of the business they are in? If indeed it is a business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    What they are doing is like trying to swim and trying not to get wet.

Close Ricardo. Eircom are sneakier than that though.

1. They will paddle a little bit at the edge and pretend that paddling is swimming.

2. They will then use their marketing spend to convince the Irish that they are now among the Worlds élite in swimming, even though most countries will see we're actually paddling still.

It is part of a devious FF strategy to sell the E-Tub of Europe ®©®™™ as being 'with it' and stuff.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

You couldn't have said a truer word muck. Bad enough we're only getting adsl now but its also crappy and a rip off. Thats what happens wen u got a bunch of mullahs running the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by jd
    I guess by keeping the parameters high, they believe they can minimise support phone calls/callouts etc
    jd
    I can believe this. If it were a normal situation they would be trying to maximise return on investment for the product. Sure, there would be increased support costs would but this would be covered by the increased business.

Since they are not trying to make a return on investment on DSL specifically, their concern is to minimise the amount of people availing of the service their concern is to stick to a small number of high-paying customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

so basicaly we have a stuburn! incumbent what will only provide a service at a level that justifies there Hi over pricing and By hell or hi water will not encourage large take up cos it will only force them into lowering prices and provide higher maintanence to keep supply going. (vested self interest)

isnt this anti-competative practice? (though the competition authority will not! acknowlege this fact)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    and provide higher maintanence to keep supply going. (vested self interest)
    Just to be clear, I was just surmising. I suppose they could start with high parameters, and gradually lower them and monitor the results etc

Advertisement