Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy X

Options
  • 04-12-2002 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Opinions folks? getting it for christmas, how does it hold up against its predecessors?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

It's excellent. It's gorgeous looking, the FMV's are feckin amazing and the battles are more fun because they aren't time based anymore and each character is good at killing a certain type of enemy so the repetitive feeling to the battles that was in the older games isn't as bad in X. The story and world aren't as good as FF7's but it's definently a close second. It's crammed with secret stuff too - getting all the celestial weapons will take you ages.

If you can though, I'd recommend you import it instead, the PAL conversion is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I know I'll probably be in a minority, but personally I thought it's the worst FF game I've played. It's bland, utterly linear and another case of Square going for style over substance on the PS2 (The Bouncer, Driving Emotion Type S).

There's absolutely no room for exploration or deviation from the game's path - you're lead from point A to point B shown a pretty FMV and then onto point C. The lack of a world map really hurts it too as it takes away any illusion of freedom. You can return to places you've previously visited, but it's not only pointless, it's made needlessly difficult by either forcing you to back track, or later in the game imput co-ordinates.

The characters are completely generic, devoid of personality and the main protagonist is you're typical American-movie petulant teen. While the FMV's although pretty, crop up far too often and spoil the pace of the game, not to mention the fact that they're unskippable and can be anything up to five minutes long.

The subgames and quests (something previously done very well in FF games) are also lacking. Blitzball is a dull stat-fest masquerading as a sport's game, the Chocobo racing section is receptive and will only hold you interest for half and hour and the side-quests such as monster collecting are just tedious. There's nothing to match up to Chocobo Breeding or Triple Triad.

As a fan of the FF series, I don't think I've ever been as disappointed by a game as I am with FFX and when compared to other RPG's such as FFVII, Skies of Arcadia or Star Ocean 2, it comes up short. Personally I'ld recommend you go for Kingdom Hearts instead, as although it has it's flaws, it's a much better and more playable game than FFX.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,891 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to disagree there. FFX is my favourite game on the PS2. It's definitely worth buying. I think the new linear quest is far more entertaining. A close second to FF7 in my opinion. Kingdom Hearts is also a great game and should be considered essential for your games collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

"The lack of a world map really hurts it too as it takes away any illusion of freedom."

Must admit to being disappointed with this even though i havent played the game yet, personally i felt that 7 was the best of the games i've played so far, between itself, 8 and 9. Kingdom Hearts? is that new disney, squaresoft game?

In response to Swifty i cant get my hands on an import copy, it will just be whatever is in Game, HMV etc.

Another point to note i usually get the official guides to the game, does anyone else use these, i didnt use it for 7 until after i completed it i think and then went back to play it again to get all the secret stuff however when playing 8 and 9 i used it from the beginning and feel it may have been taken away from the games, this time i'm thinking of still getting the guide but reverting back to the original strategy of playing the game and going back again and getting all the secrets, i just get pissed of sometimes when i dont know where to go or who i have to talk to i just want to refer to it the temptation is unreal.

Thanks for the input folks

Data

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

There wont be many times at all where you wont know where to go. Still if you feel you may be tempted then get the guide once you have finished it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by super_furry
    -snip-
    I heartily agree with all your points about FFX, but I still found it reasonably enjoyable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I really enjoyed FFX. Graphically the game is breathtaking but the storyline was weak in comparison to FF7 and I didn't think it was as difficult to complete as FF7 or FF9. Still there are loads of things to do even after you kill the last boss- I'm still stuck in the Omega ruins, Omega wipes the floor with me every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Amazing Game, Why didnt you get it sooner?

Be Prepared to get your moneys worth, took me 90+ hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Why do you have a Japanese handle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Why do you have a BBJ handle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

An excellent game. Of course there are elements which i would have preferred they changed, and some elements which i think would have been better unchanged from the previous games (such as world map), but the story is superb and the style is fantastic. The 2 most central characters (Tidus and Yuna) are a bit flat compared to some of the other games (Final 7, and even Final 8), but Auron is one of the coolest game characters ever. Also, the voice acting is a bit annoying for a while, and Tidus is the worst voice actor in the game. Its true the game is more linear, with little space given to sidetrack, but there is shitloads of stuff to do at the end (Im still trying to get Lulu and Wakka's celestial weapons...) Ultimate and Omega Weapon are only the beginning of your worries... I killed them in a few hits with my characters, but Nemesis and Penance are a different story...

Final Fantasy 7 still reigns supreme, but Final X is a worthy addition to the series, as well as an excellent game.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Man, once you get Zanmato every boss only takes 1 hit. Kicked the asses of every boss after getting that particular Aeon. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I won this game in a compo, i never had the time to really play it as im still playing VII, so if anybody wants to swop it for a ps2 game or a pc game(or anything really), just post here.

Its the promo version, only used a couple of times.

It would seem a shame to let it get all dusty.

Offers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Man, once you get Zanmato every boss only takes 1 hit. Kicked the asses of every boss after getting that particular Aeon. :-)

Ye have to give Yojimbo a feckload of money before he'll do Zanmato on a boss though. Usually I gave him around 5-10 grand and he performed a nice move with a fairly nice bit of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    Amazing Game, Why didnt you get it sooner?

Be Prepared to get your moneys worth, took me 90+ hours

havent gotten it earlier as the brother is only getting a ps2 for christmas, i lived in hope that it would come out on the p.c. looking forward to playing it though, it should be class, will probably get g.t.a vice city also. its meant to kick ass too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Yojimbo rocks meh world. He does Zanmato pretty much every time for me now when I give him 1025 gil...

Its just a matter of getting on his good side. When you get him first, tell him its because you want to defeat the strongest enemies. Do the deal the first time (I evened it out at about 190k gil). The likelihood of getting a good attack is affected by the gil in the following way: 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 etc... 1025 is enough for me to get Zanmato 70% of the time and about 10000 on a tough boss (im not wasting my time properly fighting those Dark Aeons :)). The other factors that affect it are basically randomness (which can raise it quite a lot) and affinity with Yojimbo, which can be raised by doing the good attacks. Things NOT to do with yojimbo (his affinity rating goes down) are getting him to use his Daigoro attack, allowing him to die in battle, or calling him and immediately dismissing him.

A

Advertisement