Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircom may be talking rubbish again.

Options
  • 04-12-2002 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

€ircon are talking crap because they are making a fortune from people ringing mobiles that it wouldn't be in their interest to allow blocking of mobile numbers. Someone should complain to Comreg about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

ESATBT will block mobiles on their own. Eircom wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Eircom can selectively block number ranges by LINE so in principle they are talking sh1te.

It involves a techie modifying the " DATAFILL " on the line . For this you are supposed to be charged c €30 but as they find it too complex to assign billing codes to these special requests a lot of them go through free if they implement it.

The only blocks a Biddy can do off the standard BiddyConsole are to

1. Block 15nn numbers, free action and no recurring charge
    2. Convert a line to incoming only for €30 and €5 more on each bill in the line rental
    3. Convert a line to local calls only for €30 and €5 more on each bill in the line rental.

Each of thse actions results in a Billing Code on your Bill ....look at a standard statement and see al these €0 rated services such as call waiting, thast because there is a billing code for them but a €0 charge for that billing code at present.

Other events are Techie jobs and they refuse to do it because they have NO BILLING code available to the Biddys if you ring up afterwards and say "whats this €30 charge on me bill and WHY has my rental gone up by €5 a period" .....2 months for a home user.

Therefore, and in order to go easy on the Biddies, they generally refuse to do it unless you get a sympathetic tech ......I hear that it is EASY to find a tech on the ISDN Support lines on saturdays who may assist if you ask nicely, thats because they have the right Console access and can datafill it for ya if they think that you'll be grateful for it and won't be a mupppet ringing Faults a year later whinging about not being able to ring mobiles.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Thanks. Do those biddies actually do any work in the call centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I have to say, nearly every time I read one of Muck's posts, it's like reading the hacker's handbook or something.

Here's to you, Muck! :P
    (post more!)

Sláinte
    zynaps

• Advertisement

Eircom staff are generally too lazy or inept to carry out a reasonable request for a customer, its a long term work-culture thing.

There are exception to that lumpen culture, we've all come across the exceptions but the normal service is pretty dismal.

I think that blocking mobiles on a customer request is a reasonable request which should be immediately complied with.......it may cost you €5 a bill extra but thats better than having a sulky teenager in your house who is hell bent on sending its parents to the bankruptcy court.

Saying it cannot be done is ridiculous.

There should be a PIN system for the customer if they choose. A LITTLE known fact is that EVERY line in Ireland can have a PIN number for FREE which must be dialled first before you ring certain numbers. It should then be easy to get certain number ranges behind your PIN on requestwhile leaving others free from the PIN such as local calls.

In order to get your own personal PIN on your OWN line, see Here on our other Telecom Regulators site and particularly seeHere in relation to 1559 numbers which is the categoric proof that ANY line in Ireland can be issued with a PIN on request by a customer.

Its not too much to ask either ! See the USO document in the new Regulatory framework in respect of the right of the customer to control costs on their own lines.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

'Couse you could just use someone else like Esat for CPS and get them to do the datafill on their switch....

Actually just ring eircom and tell them that is what you arwe going to do - betcha it gets done quick smart then....

Muppets in eircom - not the the biddies fault , they really are not trained on anything outside the "norm"...

Muck - yer a big show off ;) - how's your knowledge on pointcodes and Euro to ETSI hand-off.....tssssk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

(these people could be talking crap).

There all talking Crap

Yes you can Block mobiles but you will block National and International 11811 and Premuim calls last 2 your doing yourself a favour.

you will be left with local calls which will be 01 which means you can call anywhere from kilcock to skerries .... in othere words you are not left with local calls ////// you are left same area STD code calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by the Guru
    Yes you can Block mobiles but you will block National and International 11811 and Premuim calls last 2 your doing yourself a favour.
    Yes, but I think the question was, is it possible to block just mobiles and retain these other calls. Eircom say it isn't but Muck is saying that it is technically possible, but Eircom simply don't offer it as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Im actually on EsatBT so they shall be getting a call quite soon.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by crawler
    how's your knowledge on pointcodes

don't have an STM-1 into Adelaide Road yet, sorry Crawler :D

....one could free up the Call Waiting Billing code and use it as a free mobile 08nn block for your customers, call waiting hasn;t been chargeable for years so reading an eircom bill is like being told 'didya know fresh air is free with eircom'

anyone get their PIN yet from Regtel ?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

:) FAR too much knowledge muck! ;)

I am going to give the PIN a bash now....be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by zynaps
    I have to say, nearly every time I read one of Muck's posts, it's like reading the hacker's handbook or something.

Here's to you, Muck! :P
    (post more!)

Sláinte
    zynaps

The great thing about Muck's posts is not just the scope of his factual knowledge, but his wonderful (and most amusing) turn's of phrase.

I'll be nominating him for the POTTY (Poster Of The Year) award.

Advertisement