Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UK] NTL 1Mb cable service for £34.99!!

Options
  • 04-12-2002 3:39pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭

NTL in the UK is reducing the price of their 1Mb cable service to £34.99 a month.

The Reg article

Cable modems seem to be the major competitive force missing from the Irish market, pity we can't just tear up the cable licenses and give them to companies that would guarantee to roll out broadband to x number of customers in y time and at z cost. Then we would see some competition from all involved.

It is looking more and more like wireless might be our only hope.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Depressing.....But from another ntl'y post

NTL will also concentrate on offering cable television service to customers, and is also considering restarting the roll-out of its high- speed internet service. The roll-out of this service, which is available to just 8,000 homes over an upgraded cable, was halted in 2001 when NTL ran out of cash.

So maybe there is some hope....

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

"Hope" , yes thats all the average joe soap can do.Then you realise that you live in ireland so one cancels out the other :/

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Hope only makes me think of Bob Hope. It's the only Hope I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

I heard on the grapevine that NTL (INTL) are thinking about splitting the UK and IRL operations. Me is not sure wether thats a good/bad in the long, prolly good as it means there is a good chance that profit they earn in might be re-invested into the Irish Network, rather than being been spent proving some town in the arseh*le of Wales with a 1mb cable internet connection.

NTL currently earns €16million profit from their Irish Operations Annually. Analysts see this increasing to €24million over the medium term, due mostily to rationalisation programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

LOL -- now MDR that is funny....still i wonder could they provide a 1mb line to the arsehole of where i live....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MDR
    NTL currently earns €16million profit from their Irish Operations Annually. Analysts see this increasing to €24million over the medium term, due mostily to rationalisation programmes.

I thought they were making a loss? Everytime I read about them it's about another increase in their losses.

To clarify my understanding is that their residential CPS telephony service is making a loss, because of margin squeeze. The Irish group as a whole is making a health profit ... read here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by LFCFan
    I thought they were making a loss? Everytime I read about them it's about another increase in their losses.

I think the problem is the company as a whole makes a loss. The Irish operation actually turns a profit but this is taken to lessen the losses of the Uk operations. So you could say, I suppose, that Ireland, to a certain extent, subsidises the cheap connections in the UK. Aren't we nice.

aren't we mugs more like it!

Yer all mad :) - ntl Ireland & UK is the new operation with ntl Euroco being seperated from that new company.

ntl made massive losses because of very high debt , thus interest payments - next year should see a reverse or a reduction of that but you never know.

All well covered in the media and on Boards already.

ntl are also on record saying that they are in active discussions with vendors for broadband rollout.

I live in Meath so all this means bugger all to me anyway :(

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I was in London at the weekend, using the brother's 1MB cable modem service. It's enough to make a grown man cry. I upgraded his Debian server from Woody to Sid over the 'net in 25 minutes -- took me two frickin days to do the same thing here with dialup!!

What really made me want to cry: downloading floppy images in a fraction of the time it took to write them to the actual disks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

blueyonder 1Mb cable cable is £35 a month and its been out for a while so its hardly suprising to see ntl offering a similar service

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Whats the point anymore? Its just depressing to read that and be hit with the realisation that I am here and not there.
    Stg £ 34.99~55.98 euro (maybe less now).
    Anyone willing to place a bet in regards to how long will it take the E-Tub to have 1mb connection uncapped for that price, delivered either by cable or DSL.
    I'm guessing 3-4 years maybe more. Hopefully will be long gone by then but still its fun to speculate how far behind we will remain unless there are rapid and largescale changes.

And it just gets worse.....I just read the wholesale deal with AOL and ntl in the UK......But it is the UK!!

Blue Yonder is Telewest - being mooted that ntl and Telewest will merge - amazing how close the prices are now linked....as you said tuxx

Funny thing is , AOL would jum at the chance of offering a service here but with tje minimum WHOLESALE price of DSL over €70 a pop , I dont think so! ntl / Chorus/ T - hello , potential!

As for the time for a 1mb affoardable service in 3 - 4 years...hmmm. Hannbal - never ever give up , if we did who would take up "the cause" !!??

Just noticed the terrible spelling in the last post...sorry!

MDR - EBDITA is not equal to profit ( as you know ) !! :)

I know this has probably been trashed to death - but does anyone know of affoardable BB in Meath / Navan area via wireless , Cable or even blood carrier pidgeon?? I would not be adverse to investing a few quid on a bit of 802.11b stuff if needs be?

For those who don't know ...EBITDA

Still thought its a very good gauge of the contribution the Irish Operation is making towards NTL Uk & Ireland's coffers overall. What you can simply draw for it, money earned in Ireland is subsiding cable rollout elsewhere ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I met a mate of mine last night down to Dublin from Derry for a gig and he was going on about how his new broadband connection was just £17.99. It's hard to believe we live on the same island.

Yep MDR , I agree - or more to the point the contribution the operation is making to servicing the debt.

Most of the rollout is done on the basis of "sell a little , build a little."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by crawler
    Most of the rollout is done on the basis of "sell a little , build a little."
    What rollout?

€635 million* / €16 million = 40 years.

*purchase price of Cablelink ....

only another 40 years to go before they start investing in the Irish Network :D ,I wish I was kidding

• Advertisement
Advertisement