Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Cork Hurlers Justified

Options
  • 04-12-2002 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

Just decided to do a poll to see what the general concensus is on the decision of the Cork senior Hurling team not to represent their county in this season. Me personally I think it is a shame, but I think their actions are justified. Dessie Farrell told the story last night of Cork playing a game in Derry which they had to travel to by bus, even though the previous season they had flown up. The county board in their wisdom had decided not to fork out for a doctor for the trip. One of the Cork players recieved a nasty injury while playing and the bloodflow could not be properly quenched. This player was loaded onto the bus with the rest of the team and driven the entire length of the country before being dropped home. His parents immediately brought him to the hospital when he got Home.

I think that is a disgrace and I think the Cork footballers should come out and support the Hurlers if they do not get their way. These players may not be paid like professionals but they do put the work in, and they county boards do have the money to treat them alot better then they have been in certain counties.

Were the actions of the Cork Hurling team justified ? 13 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

I also think the action taken by the cork hurlers is justified - these players are amateurs, they dont get paid for what they do so the least the county board could do is provide them with adequate facilities - i saw the report on prime time last nite-it's disgraceful that the team doesnt have a doctor at every match! Also that match in derry, the team travelled by bus on the saturday and it took them 8 hours to get to derry - and then the players are expected to play a match the following day-ridiculous! Supposedly Armagh football team had 4 gyms available to them last year-look at the rewards that reaped. Meanwhile cork players had to fork out €600+ for private membership. It's just not good enough...i think going on strike was the only way the team could air their grievances-at least now the county board is under public pressure to do something. I hope its resolved soon tho, it would be a shame not to have cork in the league and championship.

Also tbtg the selectors have resigned-a certain non-gaa individual had way too much influence on matters concerning cork gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

This is only the start i can see more counties following suit until conditions start to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

The footballers have now announced that although they are more then happy witht he team management, they are going out in strike to support their hurling colleagues. It is good to see them stand side by side with the hurlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

actions justified imo.

but what gets me is that seemingly they are looking to be re-imbursed for loss of earnings from their jobs due to training, matchs etc.

what makes them think they're the only ****ing inter-county players who loose money from playing?

31 other county team players are in the same boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Most counties do pay generous enough "expenses" although you will not get rich from them. Maybe Cork have not been paying these. If there is a genuine loss of earning I would not begrudge the lads a few quid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement