Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Errorcom say no for line test 3rd party say yes

Options
  • 04-12-2002 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I've failed the line test for i-stream a few times and have been told I'll never qualify. However a 3rd party has said that they have done their own test say its ok and are happy to offer me a cable connection. Whats that all about? (I'm staying quiet on the specifics for now so don't ask)

I was about to switch from 56k to ISDN and UTVIP purely for cost reasons, but now the cable carrot is dangling again. When you add up the costs a cable connection is going to cost in the 2k area for the year. Which is a lot of mulla which ever way you look at it. I reckon the dialup only costs about 800-1000 euro per year. Of course I'm limited in what I can download and some content like movies. distros I simply can't download on dialup.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What do you mean by a cable connection? If you mean a connection provided by a cable TV company, then it would have nothing to do with passing or failing a DSL line test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

By cable I meant ADSL/DSL connection. Sorry for the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

Although I have no hard facts, I am quite sure that Eircom have set their test parameters very high. Much higher than EsatBT for example. The reasons are probably as follows:
    1. They have less risk of problems with the connection
    2. They really don't care that fewer people will be eligible as they will still have lots who are.
    3. They can relax the parameters when they see that the current subscribers are rock solid. It isn't as easy to go the other way and is a lot more hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm wondering, is errorcom thinking, that if they won't say yes to punters like myself, we are forced to go through 3rd parties who are offering primarily a business product instead of a home product (like i-stream solo) thus getting more money out of the deal than they would than doing it themselves with a solo deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

If EsatBT were available in your area, come January they would be able to offer you a 60 Euro per month service.
    I have been involved in several signups for EsatBT and none of them have failed the line test yet. Compared to two out of fifteen Eircom tests passing. Not a very wide sample but probably indicative of the success rate you will have with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Any chance youd pm me the 3rd party Ricardo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

we've had this as well: Eircom told us our line fell in the 'Doesn't pass and probably never will' category after their test 3 weeks ago. EsatBT told us it passed today (same line - nothing changed on it). I guess i'll believe it when we have it ..

Advertisement