Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phew! what a lot of DSL connections in IRL

Options
  • 03-12-2002 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

From Nua.com

http://www.nua.com/surveys/?f=VS&art_id=905358627&rel=true

Slight rise in number of DSL lines in Ireland
    Dec 03 2002: A new study indicates that DSL rollout in Ireland has proceed quickly during 2002, but take-up is still limited.

According to the Irish telecoms regulator, ComReg, 700 lines were added since September, bringing the total number of DSL lines in the country to 1,900. However, just 10 percent of the DSL connections are non-incumbent lines.

Around 25 percent of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) operating in Ireland have indicated that they are likely to upgrade from IDSN to DSL in the near future, says the report.

We're really catching up with the rest of the world now, eh?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Aladinpain
    bringing the total number of DSL lines in the country to 1,900. However, just 10 percent of the DSL connections are non-incumbent lines.
    Wow, just 190 esat lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

so out of 500,000 lines (so eircom say), there's only 1,900 being used ? BTW, that 500,000 is woffel. No way is there 500,000 lines upgraded and adsl capable.
    I would'nt be supprised to see them say: 'ok, there's 20,000 on this exchange, and the exchange is upgraded.. so there's 20,000 adsl capable lines!!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

i woulda thought that esat dsl woulda had a larger uptake with not having the cap etc? I know its still expensive but €100 odd is less than a lot of peoples i-net bill. Especially SME's. Maybe the lack of upgradeable ISDN is having a huge factor there?

[sarcasm]or is eircom right about their being no demand and esat lost out cos they didnt start in Dublin? :p [/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd probably have DSL if it was available to me.

€100 is a lot of money to most consumers and many of those who would consider taking it up are on "you're unlikely to see DSL in your lifetime" exchanges. (Shantallow, Galway in my case)

I know a few people in business and they'd have it *if* they could get it installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭DC

Esat have really only just begun offering DSL.

Strangely enough all of the (hosting) customers that we have that had ISDN / Mail Server (using us for SMTP Feed/ETRN) that upgraded to DSL (I'm not talking about a lot here) have switched to €ircon i-scream (and started hosting their own primary mail server using us purely as backup domain). Haven't come accross a customer who went for Esat. I can only guess they just don't know the difference. It appears that €ircon are the only people advertising DSL on TV and radio. It might appear to many they are the only ones offering it.

Jaysus I feel so privileged having DSL at home! And thats not a good thing to be saying :mad: I mean how many of those connections are residential? Even business residential? Not very many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

DC - i'd love to know how many are res too, I mean the Esat product is within the grasp of many, but they're very lazy in promoting it.

BTW, how long were you waiting to get your line installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭DC

4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Wow, just 190 esat lines.

This figure does not supprise me. It is hard to sell something when your sales department does not call back interested parties. I am still waiting for 2 sales people, 1 sales team leader and one customer service person to call me back. The first one was supposed to call me back before midday last Tuesday. If this is the kind of service they are offering I am surprised they even have 190 customers.

I know that as I am on the committee I may get some stick for harping on like this but this is a major hassle and people should know about it.

ESAT are supposed to check these boards, maybe someone will read this post and contact me by PM, I doubt it though as customer contact does not seem to be their thing.

MrP

Originally posted by MrPudding

ESAT are supposed to check these boards, maybe someone will read this post and contact me by PM, I doubt it though as customer contact does not seem to be their thing.
    MrP

Are they? Have you got that in writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by eth0_
    Are they? Have you got that in writing?

Read as "Esat supposedly check these boards" to avoid any possible confusion with the two interpretations of "Esat are supposed to read these boards"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I think it should be obligatory for them - they might learn something. See UTV for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Thanks sceptre, that line did not read right at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Eircom bring out DSL and offer it at a huge price. Then they come along and test THEIR OWN LINES and fail them? But wait! Maby if you get a (hmm hmm)NEW line installed it might work? I am really supprised that there is any uptake on their offer at all.

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    i woulda thought that esat dsl woulda had a larger uptake with not having the cap etc? I know its still expensive but €100 odd is less than a lot of peoples i-net bill. Especially SME's. Maybe the lack of upgradeable ISDN is having a huge factor there?

[sarcasm]or is eircom right about their being no demand and esat lost out cos they didnt start in Dublin? :p [/sarcasm]

I am not really surprised ... I went with Eircom as I do not trust Esat (I am one of the 2000 barred users and I will never deal with them again). I know a number who decided to sign up with Eircom rather than Esat for the same reason and I suspect that Eircom will continue to have a 10 to 1 advantage over esat unless they (i.e. Esat) offer an amazing deal such as proper bandwith at a reasonable price without a cap.

It is more than possible that Esat made a mistake by not starting in Dublin and it is possible that by getting a large number of people to sign up to their ISDN service Eircom managed to reduce the initial interest in ADSL especially as many thought that ISDN was high speed access.

As a matter of interest I recently received a sales call from Esat and the caller would not believe that I had ADSL he said that I must be confusing ISDN with ADSL.

Infomat - why are you barred from Esat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Hes not, he just has a chip on his shoulder..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Well, he was given the nudge out - he wasn't wanted on their Surf NoLimits - and finally kicked out.

I'd have a chip on my shoulder too, if I was shafted by Esat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Well, he was given the nudge out - he wasn't wanted on their Surf NoLimits - and finally kicked out.

I'd have a chip on my shoulder too, if I was shafted by Esat.
    /me raises hand,was kicked off esat too but i'd still pickem over eircon. *hopes UTV bringin a DSL service*

Advertisement