Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I-Stream Demonstration in Cork on 03/12/02

Options
  • 02-12-2002 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

Don't know if anybodys interested but eircom are giving a demonstration of I-Stream in the Rochestown Park Hotel in Cork on Tuesday 3rd Dec and in the Castleroy Park Hotel in Limerick on the 4th. Both are on at 6.30pm. Text of ad from the Irish Examiner is as follows:-

Broadband Internet for your business.

See eircom i-stream in action.

To find out about broadband internet access, visit:
    Rochestown Park Hotel
    (Rochestown Road, Douglas, Cork)
    Tuesday 3rd December @ 6.30pm

or

Castleroy Park Hotel
    (Dublin Road, Limerick)
    Wedbesday 4th December @ 6.30pm

And see how your business can benefit from
    broadband Internet Access up to 30 times faster than
    a standard phone line.

These events will showcase a product demonstration
    and guest speakers

If you can't make it to these events, and would like
    to know more about how i-stream broadband from
    eircom can benefit you, freefone 1800 512 128

I just thought somebody might like to go and shout at them :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Eircom droids hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

rotten tomotoes, get yer tomatoes right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

jaysus.. good job I spotted this in time.. methinks I shall be attending this one (if only to heckle from the back of the room)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

someone dressed up as a doddery Rat :D with a zimmer frame should inexplicably get stuck in the hotels revolving door at 6PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

... and try and charge anyone who wants to go through the revolving doors!

That made me laugh Muck, good 'un :)

Corkites, do go along and ask all the pertinent questions so everyone there to genuinely find out more about broadband can find out some facts. (eg: cost in UK/Northern Ireland, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Gonna try to attend this thing if I get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I hope the demonstration bluescreens, or they have trouble connecting or something... maybe someone should show up with some wirecutters :)

The
    Rochestown Park Hotel

does not have broadband so the demo will have to run over a LAN instead.....or more than likely off powerpoint on an overhead.

Keep asking them where it is 'plugged in'

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I assume people are going to turn up there and ask the usual awkward questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

Someone needs to ask about Voice over IP. See if they will explain that you can make 'free' (107 Euro a month) calls over the internet to anywhere in the world once both parties have an always on connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Originally posted by iwb
    Someone needs to ask about Voice over IP. See if they will explain that you can make 'free' (107 Euro a month) calls over the internet to anywhere in the world once both parties have an always on connection.

lol :D I'd love to see the look of pain on their face if somebody brings it up :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I might turn up to see what the fuss is about :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

anyone go?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭philahern

yup, just got back from there. It was just a usual load of propaganda. They even gave us a bag of it :-) I pointed out a few things they forgot to mention, like the cost per Mb after the download cap. They just shuffled past most questions without giving a real answer.
    They did give us coffee though, but I expect to see that on my telephone bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by philahern
    They did give us coffee though, but I expect to see that on my telephone bill.

I had the tea, I hope I didnt exceed the milk transfer limit... I dont want to end up paying 3c per atom.

Very funny all the same. The poor bewildered rep couldnt handle tech questions and a resounding "no comment" was issued when EsatBT was brought up. That brought a smile to my face. Maybe they've realised that esat are going to take all their customers? I must admit it was nice to see a 3 meg file downloading in a few seconds though, warmed the cockles of my heart so it did.

Anyway, bring on Esat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Might be able to make the Limerick demo tomorrow

Anyone else who's thinking of going, drop me a PM if you feel like a chinwag (if you're around town you can even get a lift from me)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭philahern

I think her opening line was good.
    "We are here to promote the launch of Eircom's new ISD..... eh DSL product.."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Went along to the one in Limerick. Didn't get to ask questions about the 3c per meg over the allowance charge as there was a chap up front who was quite happy to squeeze them for clarification on that one (no clarification btw - they still just "reserve the right")

Asked about the contention ratio and whether there was a guaranteed lower bandwidth (obviously not but I did want to hear tham say it)
    Originally posted by iwb

Hehe, asked. Apparently they do have a client using VoIP. I was slightly less concerned about this as I knew they'd gloss over it a bit. I did ask them about voice channelisation though (doesn't require a gateway at both ends so anyone using DSL could just make voice calls to anyone at no extra charge (needs supporting equipment in the exchange though). I'd be reasonably surprised if they'd ever heard of it before. I actually did want an answer on this one so I might phone up and go on the holding roundabout to find out - they won't support it I suspect but if they did I'd get DSL in the morning as not only could I justify the cost but I could even afford it on my student budget after dumping all call costs.

Forgot to ask about self-installation TBH, kicking myself for that one as I did want to know.

I didn't even bring up the high cost (thought asking three questions was enough for one thing) - the entire small audience was made up of business reps (most of whom presumably had an IT department to deal with this kind of thing) who by and large will actually be saving money if they switch, notwithstanding the cost.

Castletroy seems to have been upgraded btw (it was on their "done" list) (how they managed to do it with a small DLC remote exchange is beyond me but this will be of interest to those in that neck of the woods) - I'll verify this myself though before dropping the word "seems" from the sentence though.

Originally posted by sceptre
    Castletroy seems to have been upgraded btw (it was on their "done" list) (how they managed to do it with a small DLC remote exchange is beyond me but this will be of interest to those in that neck of the woods)

Be of great interest to half of Rural Ireland too Sceptre. I wonder if ESAT will be able to 'squeeze' their kit in their too.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

Somewhat off topic but I use VoIP to make many calls to North America daily over my iStream solo. I experience about ten or fifteen seconds on every call where the other person can't hear me. It is very distinctly different. Most of the people I call say it sounds better than a landline except for that fifteen seconds. I am now in the habit of warning people when I call them as they will hang up otherwise, assuming I am gone.
    Anyone got any idea why this is? Can Eircom screw with a call perhaps or am I being very paranoid?
    Since I got iStream, VoIP has been the best part of it. I can now stay in touch with former workmates etc. for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

I am in the Dennehy's Cross area of Bishopstown. A few days ago I got an I-Stream Demo CD in the post and yesterday got a call from an €ircom rep trying to convert us to their new high-speed (that sounds familiar) I-Stream service. So for anyone else in the same area - looks like the exchange is enabled Yeah!!.

PS. Just got another list of Exchanges which were due to be converted in Cork by the end of November.
    > > > Ballincollig
    > > > Churchfield
    > > > Denneheys Cross
    > > > Douglas
    > > > Mallow
    > > > Quaker Road
    > > > Wellington Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Originally posted by JohnK
    ... eircom are giving a demonstration of I-Stream in ..

Just curious: Does Eircom pull any funding - gov or NDP - for these events?

Peter

Advertisement