Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3: There's a point in there somewhere

Options
  • 02-12-2002 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

No, it isn't the attempt to nobble RTE's funding. Can you say "emasculated Public Service Broadcaster like ABC Australia"?

It's the one about transmitter coverage.

It seems a bit wick that TV3 is only carried on the main transmitters plus a couple of city ones like Cork, Limerick and *cough* Derry *cough*. RTE are backing a loser if the disparity between the transmission fees for TG4 and TV3 are bourne out.

IMHO TV3 should be a must carry on all the transmission network. There are no capacity issues involved, as there are analogue channels allocated for TV3 for all the transmitters and relays.

Your thoughts, comrades.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

It seems a bit wick that TV3 is only carried on the main transmitters plus a couple of city ones like Cork, Limerick and *cough* Derry *cough*.
    The "Derry" Transmitter in question is Holywell Hill which is classed as a main transmitter, even though it is fed off air from Truskmore. Quite a few transmission sites in both Ireland and the UK that are classed as "main" are fed not from the main microwave or satellite feed network but from a "parent" transmitter.

Yeap, the main Llandonna transmitter in North Wales and all it's relays seem to be fed off air from Blaenplyf in West wales.
    I say this because the main ITV 1 Wales teletext pages shows BLA on Arfon when you press the ? key on the Remote.
    Arfon is a relay of Llandonna.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by West Briton
    IMHO TV3 should be a must carry on all the transmission network
    agreed. it is a bit pointless that it isn't. here i have 1 aerial for RTÉ1, Network 2 and TG4 while i have another 1 just for TV3 which also needs a booster, even at that the picture isn't perfect. people who live only a mile away from my house can't receive it at all terrestrially while the other 3 channels come in crystal clear. it's pointless and costs more money than is necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You should see the difference if DECENT PAL on UHF transmitters designed for it compared with PAL625 Txed on VHF transmitters meant for 405 lines.

Limerick has a relay (Woodcock Hill). It isn't strong enough to work a pocket set anywhere in Limerick, nor a decent picture on Set-top.

I beleive the "feed" is poor, as I have a professional roof aerial and Ghosts appear / disappear on RTE1. Also S/N is poor. I have a clear unimpeded view across the estuary.

Living in Co. Clare, Limerick City, Co. Limerick and Ballinteer Dublin I have NEVER had good off air RTE.

I have NEVER seen "perfect" off Air TV in anyone's house in Ireland. Yes in UK mainland, NI, Israel, Switzerland.

The terrestrial transmission network is obviously substandard compared wiith UK, NI and other placed I have been (Only America is worse).

People put up with the rubbish analog on Limerick cable and analog MMDS, because they don't know what decent TV looks like. And even with Attic or Roof aerial it is not much better. Perhaps DVD and Sky will change that (decent off Air PAL analog should be better, not worse than S-VHS as it is at the moment).

I can get a better picture from BBC World TV on ANALOG satellite, than I have ever seen of RTE in anyone's house.

TV3 coverage is a scandal.

No FTV card scheme for Satellite as an alternative to Terrestrial Irish TV is a scandal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jasper

Originally posted by West Briton

IMHO TV3 should be a must carry on all the transmission network. There are no capacity issues involved, as there are analogue channels allocated for TV3 for all the transmitters and relays.

TV3 are only interested in the main transmission network. They could transmit on all the relays but that woud cost money. The technology is there but they're not interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if that's the case they should be forced. it's an absolute disgrace that i have to rely on satellite for a stable picture for TV3

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah it's a pain alright. The transmission network in general is a disgrace IMO. It's bad when people have to rely on deflector systems just to get RTE, let alone BBC! And indeed, it doesn't take an expert to know that deflectors suck but they're better than nothing and nearly better than MMDS! :rolleyes:

Slightly OT, but as a person who installs aerials, it would be very nice if RTE1 and N2 broadcasted on both Band III and UHF on Truskmore. There are channels allocated for them on UHF (C/D) and it would save some hassle in cases. Especially when it means people needing 3 rooftop aerials. In a lot of cases it's a combination of superhigh gain aerials (Triax Unix100 or Hirschmann equivalent), a 4/5 element BandIII aerial for RTE's, and a 10element C/D aerial for TV3+TG4. All that with a Masthead amp with VHF bypass and an A/E combiner. Does assist the mast to catch more wind somewhat! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by watty

I have NEVER seen "perfect" off Air TV in anyone's house in Ireland. Yes in UK mainland, NI, Israel, Switzerland.

In our Athlone house we have perfect Analogue RTE1, but only RTE1. Net2 and TV3 are gradually worse and what's this TG4 I keep hearing about?

Advertisement