Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP..

Options
  • 16-08-1999 9:28am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps it would be an idea to start collecting names and race prefs (as well as team ups though they can wait 'til something gets going properly). anyway, check yer mail.

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Your right.

Ok folks. Our beloved Cloud put up the bnet server again with a new upgrade. Thanx John. So we can get things off the ground for a league. I'll put up a proper page on my site later tonight so keep an eye at www.iol.ie/~eem

Heres what we need.
    1- 2 Players a team
    2- One representive per team and contact email.
    3- Team Name
    4- Race preferences (Your not stuck to playing that race btw)
    5- StarCraft 1.05 (cracked or whatever! smile.gif
    6- Tasc (ill put a link to this on my page l8r)

Anything else, let me know.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Do peeps have a cracked version of SC that *won't* crash if the Terrans build an Acdemy? That sucks just a bit.

Draco

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

If the crashy hack is allowed, I really don't see anyone choosing to play terran.

think of it,

you don't get;

u-238 shells, marine range isn't as good

stimpacks, well, goes without saying really

Firebats, nice anti zerg units

Ghosts, scouts, nukes

of course you can go to a vehicle strategy, but those take longer, and if someone is using the crashy hach he has an advantage in that he *knows* that any academy strategies are out. Everyone else is left to guess.

MP, is there any way to test what copy everyone has before a match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Eddie Rocket

Lads you can also play this over kali me thinks. ww.kali.ie, would always be a backup if the old Bnetd server gives trouble !

Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kiigan

Everyone should just play version 1.05 of the official i.e. non warez Starcraft with Broodwars expansion pack. For gods sake, its a great game, just buy the damn thing.

• Advertisement

I agree with the non-warez idea (at the very least not the crashy one). The game is cheap enough at the minute.

BroodWars: it IS the 'official' competition package, ie: the tournaments use BW rather than just SC 1.05 , but asking people to buy BW just to play a league wouldn't be too successful. Maybe in the future depending on how this one goes? At the mo' asking for BW would just increase the number of warez copies being used and boost the chances of one of them being 'crashy'.

Also, I don't reckon hacks (maps etc.) should be allowed. Everyone on an even footing so it's a competition in Starcraft playing, not who has access to the seediest sites on the internet where they can DL hacks and cheats.

What about that botty thing that queues your construction? Personally I don't think that's fair, a human player with the reactions and timing of an AI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Ummm so who gets the blame when my Terrans play some zerg guy running the hack and we keep crashing. Also, if Im about to lose a match, all I have to do is build an Academy and *boom* rematch.

In any case, Id hate to think that I was forced into a draw with some guy cos we couldnt play, when by all rights he should have got 3 points from the match smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

eric you cheeky git!
    your map-hack detector yoke is broken, im not using any hacks!
    never used any either!

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 18-08-99).]

SkyClad.. then you have to go and get a real copy then. Its your responsibility to make sure you have a copy that works!

Your using a hacked version. what can i say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

"my Terrans play some zerg guy running the hack"

I do have the real version if you care to read (and have never played with the hacked one), but others dont.

So is this saying that you have to have the full version in order to play? Basically, thats what im trying to find out! Your 'hacked or whatever' idea just wont work.

This wont get off the ground unless we have some basic ground rules to start with, and this seems to be the most important one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

full version. I'm sure ppl can get it if they need to.

No point having unessecary problems.
    Play the game as it should be played , *with* BW too. Only right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

It WILL be StarCraft 1.05 without Broodwars. Hacked or unhacked I dont care as long as you can play on the irish bnetd server.

Hacked version of Starcraft crashes when Terran builds an Academy so you should care cause this is not going to work. Alternatively, we can play Broodwars cause it's better and it might not crash when you build an Academy (someone with a hacked version try it out). If it's going to be StarCraft 1.05 only then it might as well be non-warez only league!!

You gonna to finish that?
    *munch*munch*

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 19-08-99).]

Very simply.

It WILL be StarCraft 1.05 without Broodwars. Hacked or unhacked I dont care as long as you can play on the irish bnetd server. (which can be located at - quake.ign.ie:6112) There is NO discussion on this. Theres little irish starcraft players out there, let alone being forced to get Broodwars.

There WILL be solid map and hack checks in place. I have located a serious of programs to detect even the latest hacks. Anyone found cheating will be removed immediately from the league. (hear that koopa ?)

But seriously, people should be decent and not go to the bother of cheating. Its not nice and I wont tolerate it.. so be kewl niggas!

Let me know if this is worth doing lads. Put your name here and lets see whos playing, even if your not on a team, we can always figure out who needs a partner at the end.

Thanx.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

1 - Draco and Bramble
    2- karl@sse.ie
    3- Team Name - haven't got one yet
    4- Terrans
    5- StarCraft 1.05 - yup
    6- Tasc - are we still using this or that other proggie that was mentioned?

Draco

[This message has been edited by Draco (edited 18-08-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Buy the game, I love StarCraft, and bought it and BW's. Give a little back for all the other cracked games we all have, and buy from someone who's gonna produce kick ass games like this in future, Blizzard.

Lucutus of Borg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Heres what we need.
    >1- 2 Players a team

Regi and DeVore

>2- One representive per team and contact >email.

You know where to find me.

>3- Team Name

reservoirzergs.jpg

>4- Race preferences (Your not stuck to >playing that race btw)

Guess.

>5- StarCraft 1.05 (cracked or whatever!

NP. Both have full version afaik.

*slish*

DeV.

Lads, give up now. They've got a team piccy, they must be good tongue.gif

Nice piccy by the way.

Right,

Listen, again I will say it again and make it a little clearer :

- If your version of SC 1.05 works PROPERLY on the Irish bnetd server without crashing then its ok. Your fine and dandy!

Otherwise I'm _NOT_ interested whatsoever! Go out and buy the game or get a proper hacked version that doesnt crash (like mine wink.gif .. I also went and bought the REAL version too! )

(I can help you get your versions working!, just /msg me on irc and i'll sort you out.)

Now, can we get stop all the debates please and get enlisted. Im ___NOT___ doing this league unless people are actually gonna play, so please, be more constructive here and put your names down and get sorted into teams. We can have all the debates in the world and still not get any games going!

Once again. 2 Players, Team name, Race, etc.

[This message has been edited by MindPhuck (edited 19-08-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kiigan

Well hang on there MindPhuck, b4 u insist we all respect your authorita smile.gif I think quite a few ppl would agree that SC is much cooler with BroodWars. Few ppl play "classic" SC nowadays. Therefore I propose that the league is a BroodWars league. U know it makes sense ..

Then Respect my authority and shutup smile.gif

Seriously, I just want teams in. We can vote on this later. Most people dont have Broodwars btw.

All im interested at the moment is getting the teams in. We can put all the bells and whistles on later, but lets make it go first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

It's no use Kiigan (lo there btw wink.gif drag Steve or Liam or whoever into this league and get a partner would yas). MindPhuck and 90% of the other StarCraft players in Ireland are zerg players and they're afraid of the disadvantage zergs will encounter because of the new units and changes. Basically they will never play BroodWars wink.gif. Gwan, prove me wrong, play BW heeh.

You gonna to finish that?
    *munch*munch*

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 22-08-99).]

FYI. I play protoss smile.gif

Advertisement