Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing an aerial in Clonmel

Options
  • 28-11-2002 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

What sort of costs are involved in getting a RTE1, NET2, TV3 and TG4 areial in Clonmel Co. Tipp.?

Can I get one areial to do them all?

Can it go in the attic or do I need a mast?

I can see the TV booster from my house but how do I know what channels it boosts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you want a GOOD picture with no Ghosts, then ALWAYS get a exterior aerial mounted. If on Chimney make sure it won't be too close to "pot" and get sooted.

If you ring RTE, they will tell you what Group / type of aerial and where it should be pointed. They might not tell you anything about TV3. If the one aerial does RT1, NET2 and TG4, then you are 80% likely to get TV3 too.

Some areas of Clonmel, you can only get good RTE/NET2/TG4/TV3 via Sky Digital Satellite Family pack minimum.

Some cheap aerials are like made from galvanised "coat hanger" style wire. Avoid. You want solid looking aluminum ones. DIY will cost about €40 for exterior grade coax and decent aerial. Expect an installer to charge as much again or he is too cheap.

I use Satellite grade coax as it lasts longer (more waterproof) and reduces the signal less.

The Gov/ RTE didn't think to add about 5 Euro PER YEAR to TV licence so we can all have Irish TV for Free on Satellite, like UK gets BBC/ITV/C4/Five free on Satellite. Family pack Sky is about 27 euro pm or 324 Euro PER YEAR. You do get 60 Radio and 200+ TV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

The Clonmel transmitter is as follows

RTE1 39
    NET2 42
    TG4 49
    with Horizontal aerial polarity (ie the rods of the aerial are horizontal - not vertical)
    The aerial type is Group B
    And would probably work fine in the attic if the slates of the roof is the only thing blocking the view to the mast.

The Clonmel transmitter was not equipped for TV3 and presumeably this is still the case.
    You will therefore need a second aerial, a Group A aerial pointed at the Mt Leinster transmitter
    to try and get the weak (in your area) signal from there on Ch 26 Horizontal.
    You should have this aerial outside on the chimney. And the aerial may have to be larger than the usual 10 elements, with an amplifier (though try without one 1st).

And a Group A and B combiner box to properly combine both aerials

(your TV dealer will provide the different aerials
    Group A have a Red colour code at the end whilst group B will have a Yellow colour code)

If you cannot get a decent TV3 from Mt Leinster you will have to rely on MMDS or Skydigital to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Surely the long proposed main transmitter at Kilduff would alleviate a lot of the relatively poor TV reception in Tipp as a whole?

Does anyone have an idea as and when Kilduff is supposed to be on air?

I have a couple of unused medium size group A aerials surplus if anyone is passing Limerick. With some mounting gear.

(I got them to try on 430MHz, but they are too small Group A is closer to 500MHz).

email bpope@rte.ie very nicely and he or she (Bernie) sends a list of transmitters, frequencies, channels, aerials and power etc for TV & Radio EXCEPT for TV3.

Some people seem to still need VHF and UHF even though everyone was supposed to get UHF by last summer, originally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 steve solo

On monday week i am to have sky installed for the third time after moving for the third time. My landlady is a bit nevous about the whole thing after getting a botched job from Chorus. They ran the cable down the front of her three year old house and then they(chorus) drilled inside out instead of the other way round and now she has a big chunk of her wall missing.

The question i am asking is, can sky digital go into the attic and down through the passage way that the basic aerial goes? The less holes and wires the better. i had to talk her into letting me get it in. Any thoughts please? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

can sky digital go into the attic and down through the passage way that the basic aerial goes?
    Yes
    The Gov/ RTE didn't think to add about 5 Euro PER YEAR to TV licence so we can all have Irish TV for Free on Satellite, like UK gets BBC/ITV/C4/Five free on Satellite. Family pack Sky is about 27 euro pm or 324 Euro PER YEAR. You do get 60 Radio and 200+ TV though.
    Alternatively they could do a £20 three year FTV card deal like they have in the UK and the Netherlands

RE: Kilduff I think I remember hearing that theyd scrapped plans for analouge transmission but that they would use it for DTT but I could be totally wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

I recently put up 2 of the small size arials on the same pole as another aerial but unfortunatley I left one of em a bit too close to the highest one and now I get ghosting with tg4 very bad. I know I should have checked before I took the ladder down but didnt. Any suggestions from those if you who know about these things as to how I could fix it? btw the area is tullamore.

Advertisement