Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joypad or Keyboard & Mouse

Options
  • 26-11-2002 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

This is to find which control method is better for 1st person shooters and 3rd person ones, (e.g. Max Payne, MOH Frontline and AA, Half Life etc. , Joypad or Keyboard and Mouse

I personally found the controls for MOH: Frontline and Max Payne, on the PS2, a bollocks to get used to and not as quick to aim as using the mouse and K/B on the PC for the likes of CS, MOH AA, Max Payne.

I had a console before I considered having a PC so am not putting down the joypad users, for many games a joypad is better but this poll is about about when playing 1st person and 3rd person shoot 'em ups. I dont use a joypad on my PC.

A narrow minded friend of mine believes that Joypad controls is beyond what you could do with a K/B and Mouse, that you can aim and move much faster and react quicker using a joypad. He was talking about the PS2 controller.

What do you use when playing 1st and 3rd person shooters (any format)? 36 votes

Joypad
    0% 0 votes
    Keyboard and Mouse
    2% 1 vote
    Either, there both as good as each other
    97% 35 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I've played cs a few times with a steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Joypad = fighting/soccer/ice hockey type games
    keyboard and/or mouse = for practicly everything. Ever.
    Joystick = flight/space sims and to a lesser extent some driving types (includes jetski games and other stuff)
    Wheel + pedals = for proper racng games (see Gran Prix 3 and Nascar series in contrast to Gran turismo)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Joypad = fighting/soccer/ice hockey type games
    keyboard and/or mouse = for practicly everything. Ever.
    Joystick = flight/space sims and to a lesser extent some driving types (includes jetski games and other stuff)
    Wheel + pedals = for proper racng games (see Gran Prix 3 and Nascar series in contrast to Gran turismo)

That about sums it up.

I can't stand playing fps' with a joypad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Depends entirely on what the game has been designed for. Metroid Prime is an FPS but words cannot describe how badly it'd suck on a keyboard and mouse. Lots of platform/third person games play better on a joypad, too.

In general though, FPS games are designed for keyboard and mouse and that's where they should stay.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Obvious choice really,a pad is good for footie and general sports titles,everything else? Well a keyboard and mouse is light years ahead,theres simply no comparison.Anybody who feels different have never played a pc game.
    Also many of us also have a pad installed on our pc for when we need it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find the keyboard and mouse better for FPS but it does seem more realistic to stop and aim like in goldeneye or MOH. For anything else the keyboard and mouse sucks and a decent analogue joypad is far better.
    Unless of course its the xbox joypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Definitely keyboard/mouse for any PC games that I play.
    Joypad for the Arcade emulators.
    Joypad for PS2/GC naturally. although, I can never get the hang of FPS games on consoles (I rented out Timesplitters 2 on the PS2 during the week and found it very hard to control), just not the same without keyboard/mouse combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

it's a case of different horses for different courses.

i've played a few pc games that would have been so much sweeter with a decent joypad, and plenty of console games that desperately needed the good ole mouse/keyboard combo (any fps, ever!)

but 90% of the time joypads go perfectly with consoles & mice/keyboards with pc's.

having said that, i just love the instinctiveness (?) of using a mouse & keyboard on a pc fps, it just feels right

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by tman
    it's a case of different horses for different courses.

I'd agree with all of you. I wouldn't use a K/B and mouse for soccer or driving sims, etc.

But I'd remind people that the poll is about fps not the other genre's, which would make it a bit one sided but I wanted to know if I was wrong abot joypads and this types of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Thorbar
    I've played cs a few times with a steering wheel.

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Originally posted by amp
    lol

i second that.

lawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Well in the case that this thread is about fps, then I pick k/b and mouse, there is just no comparrison as a joypad is inaccurate slow and just a plain bitch to use. MoH was just ridiculously hard to aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by El Marco
    Well in the case that this thread is about fps, then I pick k/b and mouse, there is just no comparrison as a joypad is inaccurate slow and just a plain bitch to use. MoH was just ridiculously hard to aim.

MOH: Frontline, Max Payne on PS2, I never wanted to get into them cause the controls were difficult get used to. Wasting my time to learn ****ty controls, never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

oops, didnt realise this poll was about fps's...

mouse & keyboard all the way in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    I find the keyboard and mouse better for FPS but it does seem more realistic to stop and aim like in goldeneye or MOH.

It's not realistic unless you make the obvious mistake of assuming the direction you point the mouse is the direction the character's chest is facing. This is not the case. Strafing doesn't mean hopping sideways. It's running forwards, looking to one side. Your character's HEAD (and probably gun, too, if he's any kinda clever) point where you point your mouse, not his whole body. Just look at the way the characters in UT (the best animation since CS beta 6, before they turned all the models into cartoony TFC ones XP) run and strafe and look around and up and down. Forget what any other game depicts strafing as (i wanted to slap DoD1 so hard for their slow strafing), UT is how it's done (dunno about UT2003 though. haven't played it yet). So if you consider someone running forwards, then looking to one side, aiming that direction, and shooting, it's a lot more realistic than your nasty goldeneye joypadness.

Advertisement