Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informal IOFFL get together this Saturday the 30th - Dublin.

Options
  • 25-11-2002 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

This thread discussed the idea of meeting up for an informal IOFFL chat on the last Saturday of this month, the 30th of November.

It's still a runner and its still an informal get together and I know, it is short notice. I'm taking a rest from IOFFL duties for December, and many others I'm sure will be extremely busy in the run up to Christmas and busy relaxing over Christmas.

Its a chance to meet up before the flat rate directive is issued and throw a few ideas at each other about the future. I realise that non-Dublin members will be rightly annoyed that its another Dublin meeting, so we'll have to look into a Cork/Midlands or Galway session for some time early next year.

All are welcome for this get together, in The Bleeding Horse Pub Camden Street Dublin on Saturday the 30th of November at 3:30pm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I'll try and make it. :) Must go shopping in Dublin anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yellum

I thought it was December the 8th that the culchies traditionally came up to Dublin to shop?:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Might pop in for a pint, midday beer is nearly always a good thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

w00t.

Beer

Telco Rants

Beer

Adam

Beer

Xian's Friaco Workshop

Alcopops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

I shall be there ...

• Advertisement

Yel,

if/when we come down to Cork,would you or others be in a position to offer us a couch for the night ... wouldn't want to go down and back in one day. I tried that recentily between Dundalk and Letterkenny, and ended up in a ditch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'll try to pop along.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

I'll be in Dublin on Saturday...

However,, I'll be passing through on my way from Cork to Belfast... I'd like to be there, next time perhaps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Personally, We in Donegal have informal piss ups all the time. Who needs a reason or Dublin anyway?

I hope you all wake up with **Very expensive hangovers.

Merry Xmas to you all:p

paddy20;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Hi lads, (long time lurker, first time poster) -
    well, reading the beginning of this thread I thought I just might turn up if I could get up that early on a saturday (but obviously pretend to be just a regular punter until I could be sure it would be ok to make myself known).

Reading through it now I don't think I'll bother. Talk about infighting! Are you the people's front of FRIACO or the FRIACO people's front? You've got to stick together if you have any chance of going up against the Telecon Eircon beast.

I've been back in the country a little while now, and when I left nearly two years ago I couldn't believe there was no DSL available then. I was going to say I can't believe there still isn't now that I'm back. The truth is, I suppose I'm not surprised. Maybe I'll go away again and come back in 5 years time and see if anything has moved on. I won't be that surprised if we're all still on dial-up.

Well, sorry my first post had to be a bit of a rant.
    No offence meant - well not much anyway!
    Colin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

(note: comments below refer to comments posted in this thread now moved here)

(just a quick note to plead with people to keep it on topic or lose it)

From my POV:

OK, date notice is a bit late. It's an informal get together for anyone who's interested from what I can see. It's not an AGM. It seems to be nothing more than an invitation for anyone who's around to have a few pints. And it had been discussed fairly recently without a firm date being decided. Point made, hopefully point taken, take it to PM please (it's not a discussion on an actual organised meeting, direction for the organisation or an election). Obviously perfectly in the right to bring it up given that it bothered you (but I'd rather the thread didn't become a flame war) Personally, notice may be a bit close for me to make it up but there you go. Wish everyone a whole pile of fun and I may make it yet.

With regard to Colin's post, firstly welcome and thanks for posting finally (lurkers are grand - nice when people express an opinion when they have it though). Every organisation has going to have disagreements on small matters, disagreements on large matters, direction, leaderships. Any organisation that doesn't have these things is also going to suffer from a lack of people expressing their opinion on what the group should be doing on anything. I've concerns about various things too - everyone has. Some may coincide with Adam's (for example) concerns, some might not. The last thing this organisation needs is a shower of yes men. If this group becomes a group of yes men who always agree and don't have any of their own opinions, I'll be the first to grab my coat.

If there wasn't discussion and differing points of view (yes, including criticism) at least occasionally, I'd be a little concerned. This is a member forum for all, not for the particular interest of any point of view (cue Seamus getting fired as moderator (kidding)). Compared with other (non-virtual) organisations, generally any arguments are done in public rather than behind any closed doors. In one way it's a weakness (the people we as a group criticise get to read it), in another way it's a strength (there's a greater deal of public accountability when every member can voice an opinion in public with as much attention as a committee member gets)

So come along if you feel like it Colin - I've little doubt that you'd be made very welcome (if you're not you can always leave and tell us about it on Monday:)). Some people (any other lurkers reading perhaps) may be of the opinion that just the core membership is welcome. Not the case. The way I read it, it's an open invitation to anyone who wants to come along. If Eircom's CEO came along I'm sure he'd at least be received:D. Most of the people who post (and don't post) have never met each other - you won't feel left out if you turn up.

(moderator mode on)

With regard to paddy's (now moved to Recycle Bin) comment, that's not very fair now is it? With regard to lurkers (I think of them as "readers" in this forum), just because someone hasn't brought something to the table doesn't mean they're barred from sitting at it. Or offering their opinion when they really want to. Based on what was posted before his post, Colin offered an opinion that others must have had too. Pointless shooting the messenger as people say.

Look at it another way if you will - we as a group of members need lurkers. They're our strength, just as much as regular posters, because they're the people that bring the information posted into Irish homes and workplaces. I'd love to see a lot more people coming here even if they don't post. They'll post when they want to or when they feel they've something to say or offer - Colin did. Abuse them for just having an opinion and they won't come back. Please remember that when you post.

Let's keep it on topic and civil folks please. Don't force me to butcher this thread and toss half of it into the Recycle Bin.

ColinM,

I am disappointed that you have changed your mind about turing up on saturday, it would be great if you could come along and see just how really cohesive we are, as a group.

We do have little differences of opinion on the boards, to be honest that is the best place to get them ironed out, so we can present a united front when meeting Eircom etc.

So come along on saturday, have a few beers and relax with a few like minded peeps ...

Far too much monty python round here lads ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Paddy, Bard is right, that is downright rude, ignorant and a distortion of the truth. Colins post was perfectly understandable from a newer users point of view and insulting him like you did is helping nobody.

Colin, see Sceptres reply for an explantion of what goes on here, and glad you decided to post :)

Adam, youve edited your post, so im not going to refer to it here. Suffice to say i think you overreacted. Anyway, none of the replies make any sense without your comments now so ive moved them. I agree entirely with Sceptres assement of keeping arguments out in the open but it doesnt make sense now and some people may actually be interested in the topic of this thread.

Everyone else: If you can make it, come along and have a pint and a real time chat about the issues involved. Its not a formal meeting, just a few pre-christmas pints :)

Sceptre, the replies continues so thread pruned with extreme prejudice :)

As will ANY replies that touch on the sort of rubbish that has been posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

As i was saying before I was chopped....

Regret that I can't make it but i have to be somewhere else. Hope the pints are good and plenty, and that tons of productive work gets done. Oh and I'm in dublin Monday if the party lasts that long....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Its not a formal meeting, just a few pre-christmas pints

Thats it! Thats all its meant to be, and believe it or not, everyone is still welcome.;)

Some urgent CorkWAN stuff has come up and needs sorting this weekend, so I can't go.

Sorry, really wanted to, but if you're all around on the 7th or the 14th, c'mon its another excuse !

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

...Aye, so, how will we know where to sit, ie., who are irelandoffline geeks and who are merely alcoholics or have nothing else to do on a saturday afternoon? ;)

Secret handshake? tshirts? :P

zynaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

so, how will we know where to sit

Just ask at the bar where the IrelandOffline group are. We'll let them know who and where we are on our arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Hi Lads,
    First of all, thanks to the moderators for being so reasonable. I guess that's why you're the moderators!
    Anyway, my handbags are back down to defcon 5, and if you'll accept it Paddy, I'm offering you a virtual handshake. What do you say?
    I'll probably have a minging hangover on Saturday, but if I can get into town for early evening, I will - and I promise I'll try not to say anything incendiary.
    All the best for now,
    Colin.

ColinM,

I am delighted that you are going to the informal IOFFL get together, after all.

I think that you will find you are amongst friends.

As for your virtual handshake? I am more than happy to accept it ,& welcome aboard from me. Despite our somewhat shaky start.

Enjoy yourself.

Yours,

Paddy20 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Any suggestions of places to stay / Eat etc. for anyone attending outside of Dublin?

OHP

Originally posted by MDR
    Yel,

if/when we come down to Cork,would you or others be in a position to offer us a couch for the night ... wouldn't want to go down and back in one day. I tried that recentily between Dundalk and Letterkenny, and ended up in a ditch ?

No space at my INN but I'm sure something could be sorted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by yellum
    No space at my INN but I'm sure something could be sorted. :)

ahm its a 10 euro cab ride out to here, but theres space for 10 or so bodies.

So J.R. how is Southfork lately ? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

i can see it now, bodies all over the place literally, two in the bath ,

fights for the couch , on the floors - ah sure we can squeeze a few in the attic ..:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Not sure I like where this thread is going.

:eek:

Should really NOW be some bash?

God help "The Bleeding Horse" pub:eek:

Paddy20:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

I am not saying I will, and I am not saying I will not, but I am only 30 or so miles from Camden St, there is petrol in the car and I still had a pulse when I woke up this morning...

...the thought of certain folk, who know who they are, playing "spot the Korean Male" is almost irresistable.

*chuckles*

G

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sorry guys couldn't make it. Was out last night and the 2pm kick off was a bit early for me :)

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Thanks to mrpudding, I can barely sit down straight.
    Very informative evening on all counts, considering I didn't get home to bed till 00:07 or so...

The one thing we seem to need is more people (sober people) that are willing to actually do things to publically affirm and further their opinions about the state of internet access in Ireland.

err.. goodnight.

zynaps
    (that took me 7 minutes to type)

Advertisement