Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiga / PC demos (PD)....

Options
  • 25-11-2002 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Do anyone remember trying out the Assembly demos between 1993-1997? The demos I'm talking about are the ones where some dedicated assembly coders would actually squeeze as much as possible in 4K or 64K? The demo would run in dos and usually required you to create a boot disk with minimal drivers (usually sound if at all).

I haven't come across any since, does anyone know if this still go on? I miss this kind of scene. The reason I ask is because I have come across a pile of old PD Amiga software (on BacktoRoots). I remember seeing these when modems were relatively slow and expensive and even a good bbs was hard to come by. Thus I never actual tried these before. Again some of these require 68060 but BacktoRoots claim that they work most of the time. There were some great budding animation designers back then. Remember a certain Mr.Schwartz? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yeah its still happening.. iirc theres still a worldwide competition each year as well.
    a quick google results in scene.org .. check it out :)

the sizes seem to be huge these days though... ~11mb demos.. no thanks.. check out the intros though, they seem to be more what i remember, around the 50k and absolutely brilliant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

do you know the name of the irc channel kali?
    i moght pop in for a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Hey! I forgot how much you could pack in 64K! For the hell of it I downloaded a demo scene called:

.fr-08
    .the product
    .final version 1.01

This was a 64k demo made in 2000. So it actually works in all flavours of windows. The requirements were:

Requirements:
    - a fast pc, at least a p2-350
    - a fast graphics card, at least a tnt2, but GeForce or
    higher is recommended
    (party version, untested on non-nvidia cards)
    - a sound card
    - 128MB of RAM are recommended
    - DirectX 8 installed (get it at http://www.microsoft.com/directx)

I was really impressed. If on the lookout it's called for fr08_final.zip. (got this one from scene.org). Of course, anyone wanting a quick blast, I can email it to ya. 64k :)

If anyone comes across anything similar.. let me know. Apparently some websites say this kind of stuff is dying out. Ironically due to the ease which 3D can be rendered today! :)

Then I tried a 7Mb whopper.. not so good. :rolleyes:

Advertisement