Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINUAE trouble :(

Options
  • 24-11-2002 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experienced trouble setting up WINUAE cause I'm pretty stuck right now?

I'm currently trying to get the Amiga Winuae program up and running. Everything seemed to be going fine up to a point. Program installed ok, the Kickstart ROM was introduced and seems fine judging by the appearance of the well known purple workbench screen that I used to get on my actual Amiga computer back in the day.

However, when I introduce an 'adf' disk image file thru the floppy drive option the program accepts my choice and proceeds to only produce a blank screen without loading the game?

I've tried looking on the net for a solution to this problem but every site I visit makes out that it couldn't be simpler to get adf files running and don't mention ANY problems that may occur during setup. So has anyone here encountered problems with loading adf files if so how did you manage to solve it?

FYI the version of WinUAE that I'm using is WinUAE 0.8.8, Release 7 and I'm using the Kick3.1 kickstart rom.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Right so...Firstly what are your system specs? Secondly what game are you trying to run? and thirdly I'll presume you've tried a few different games and had the same problem.

Are you running the game in full screen? Yes?
    well then turn it to windowed mode for the time being.
    This will allow you to see the fps and disk reading in the lower right hand corner.
    When you've got the purple boot screen. Insert an adf through the floppy menu and take a look at the details above.
    Fps should be about 50fps and the the numbers in the box beside "Power" should begin to rise having began at 2.
    Is this happining?
    -If your fps is really low 13-17 it will seem as thought the game is not working as it's basically taking an age to run the game. This can be helped by downloading Amiga In A Box or by tweaking a few options (But I'll wait on your report from your next try)
    -If The number beside the "Power" is not rising It could well be the adf file itwelf is the problem.
    - Download the other kickroms as not all games will run under 3.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Hi Logie, thanks for your interest in this problem. Here are the answers to your questions:

The computer is 733Mhz P3 which is ok as I seem to remember reading that anything over 200 would work?

Regarding the games I just picked two at random. First one was 'Batman The Movie' and the other was 'First Samurai'. First Samurai gives a simple text 'cracked-by' screen and nothing more. Batman gives nothing at all other than a black screen.

The game is running as a small window only. Takes up about 1/3 of the screen by my estimate.

Frame Rate is 48 for the Workbench screen then drops to 11 once a game is loading. Power starts a 0 and stays at 0 all the way through. The three numbers two the right of the power number all remain static at 0 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the four numbers are the disk sectors being accessed. i dont think first samurai works with winuae im not sure about batman.

ive found that if you have the turbo disk access speed on it tends to slow things down alot when disk access is going on so your better leaving it off(if its on that is)

as for 200 ha not a hope. 733 would be just eough to run at 50fps in the newer versions

Thanks stu! Could
    someone give me the name of an amiga adf game THAT DOES definetly WORK in order to see where I stand?

try turrican one or two they both work without trouble.

winuae is a pain to setup porperly. try these configs ive made. the only thing you need to change is the kickstart rom info. for an a600 try find a kickstart 2.04 version and for the a1200 kickstart 3.1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'd try another version and download AIAB (Not that theres anything wrong with your configs stu :) )
    Version 0.8.17 Revision 3 runs all my games full wack without any problems. I'd see if I could track it down.
    Batman the movie works fine
    First Samurai does not

Woohoo! I got Turrican1 to work! :)

I guess I had just picked two dodgy roms out of two. Just my luck. :)

Thanks guys for the advise and help on this thread.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

just on the min spec issue i got winuae to run on a p1 200, though it was a bit slow for pinball games! some of the others worked fine! Funny a 200mhz machine struggling to run emulated 7.14mhz. Makes me wonder what the hell windows does in the mean time!

the amiga had more custom chips that the local roma take away. each one has to be emulated at the same time and in perfect sync or the whole thing goes to hell.

Advertisement