Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade help

Options
  • 24-11-2002 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

My nut broke last night when I droped my guitar on the ground last night. I'm gonna bring it into repairs in waltons today. Last time I droped a guitar for repairs in waltons I didn't get my guitar back for 3 months! All I wanted was a new machine head and a restring! Anyway since i know this is gonna take ages I might aswell get some up grade coz my guitar is pretty basic.

I noticed a little hole at the botton of my bridge. Is this for a whammy bar? If it is I'd be glad to get one. How much do the go for purchase and installation? Also I've noticed guitarists with these wide nuts with three kinda circley thing in them. What do the do? How much do the go for? Please anyone reply soon I need this info today.

Dav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Heh, I remember my guitar going into Walton's for repairs, I went back there several months later and it still wasn't done. So I just said "fcuk it just give it back! I'll get it repaired elsewhere!"

Yes, That hole is for a whammy bar. Whammy bars can't be that expensive, and as for installation, you just screw it in.

And the thing about the nut with 3 circlely things on it, that is a locking nut. They usually come with guitars that are installed with a Floyd Rose Tremelo set. Technically its pointless having a locking nut without a Floyd Rose. And assuming your guitar is a strat or something along those lines, you don't have a Floyd Rose tremelo. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

"All I wanted was a new machine head and a restring! "

em could you not have done that yourself..surely you know how to restring a guitar..and most machine head 'installations' would consist of like..2 screws..

jesus like even replacing the nut on the guitar is no big deal,and installation of a whammy bar .. em ok common sense would tell me it looks like it might just screw in..

as for locking nuts and floyd roses...i wouldnt get a floyd rose on your guitar like.. i think you'd have problems changing the strings .. honestly

I wouldnt bring your guitar back to Waltons anyways..regardless they took 3 months to do something that would take max 40 minutes..and charged you too jesus man i dunno..

not to sound to overharsh get a guitar book that starts from the beginning...like parts of the guitar etc etc ya know guitar 101,otherwise your gonna be treated like sucker like places like Waltons cause you just dont have enough knowledge,you'll get ripped off..

all the best

NeM..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

Its true you could have done it your self, and its true waltons will rip you offi they think they'll get away with it.

Try and talk as if you know what your doing, "i need this replaced, i'd do it myself but its a friends guitar you know just in case"

Anyway no matter howmuch you hate the ppl from waltons don't say "ah i'm not going into waltons, the staff in there are a bunch of ******* *****" because you never know one of them could be standing behind you, (oops)

If you want a bar they around 6 yo yo's i doubt it would be over 10. Any way you just screw/twist it in until its where you want it.

If you hang around waltons at crimbo you see hoards of mothers and son's walking around waltons, then without warning their pounced on, the attack is quick and effective, mother and son leave with 1-year-lifespan-guitar, and the circle of life continues.
    Its quite funney really. (i was only in there to get directions away from there,and to get some picks/plecs)

PS if i made any mistakes this keyboard is ****ed

And em maybe you should invest in a set of strap locks if your just 'dropping' your guitar like that..imagine your guitar was worth few quid like...

NeM..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Nemisis...how am I supose to know how to put in a tremolo? Have I done it before? No. And I can restring a guitar. I just told him to restring it while it's in repair anyway.

Is a tremolo bar that easy to fit? Just swiggle it in? No connecting wires n'stuff? As for the nut - your right about that I can do it myself. No glue needed or anything? How do I get the old one off? It's quite tight. A machine head I wouldn't know how to fix (I droped this guitar in two years ago for repair so I wouldn't have known much anyway).

Thanks for the help.

dav:D

• Advertisement

*sigh*

Send it in before you ruin it for ****s sake ;P

NeM..

I'm looking for help not you nem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Dude, there's no electronics involved in any of the issues you've raised! The only electronics in your guitar is the input, the knobs, toggle switch and pickups, which is bugger all. Everything else is just wood, plastic and metal! A tremelo is just a stick that pokes out which bends the bridge when you move it to change the tension of the strings. Which causes the pitch of the string to change.

I think you should ask a friend who might know a little more about it and ask him/her to do all this **** for you.

Or ulternatively, look into it yourself. Do a bit of adventuring. You'll have to learn eventually.

Hope this helps.

I did it today and it was fine thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement