Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applied.ie / unbundling

Options
  • 23-11-2002 4:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Had a go off applied.ie for DSL, just for the howl. The following is snipped directly from their response...

Your local exchange is not yet DSL ready

Never! (SHOCK! HORROR!)

but I have provisionally booked you for connection as soon as the exchange is live.

Funny, I don't remember asking you to. I'm almost certain I'd remember if I did. Errah, perhaps you're right, perhaps it's best to just assume all of your prospects are too stupid to ask for something if they want it.

There are a couple of things needed to ensure speedy connection as soon as your exchange is DSL enabled.

1. Copy of a recent Eircom phone bill. This is a requirement of the Telecoms regulator (ODTR) before an Eircom line can be 'unbundled' by another operator.

Is this true? That's not to say it isn't a reasonable request, it's just new on me, I thought I'd have seen something about it here before.

2. Complete sections 1, 3, 4 & 5 of the attached Esat application form. Unfortunately a signed hard copy is required!

Ah. Thinking that - rather naively as it happens - the staff of the company in question would have a reasonable level of intelligence, I clicked on the email in my imap client believing the attachment would likely be a small doc or pdf, perhaps with a line test report or somesuch personalized information that couldn't be hosted in a central location. But lo, t'was not to be. T'was indeed a generic application form, and worse, t'weighed in at a mighty 390kb in size, which tends to feel like about 10 megs over my pissy little split-line dialup. Which oddly enough was precisely why I was enquiring about DSL. (Duh!)

Where your average monkey would have been able to figure out that placing such a document on a webserver where each and every user could download it at their leisure, and then linking to it from an email, is a reasonable, level-headed approach, unfortunately this company seems to have employed sales droids with slightly less intelligence than said monkey. Result: one annoyed user who needed to three finger salute his rig to kill the Outlook procs to get the rest of his mail.

What an utter moron. A moron that won't be getting my business if my exchange /is/ ever enabled, I might add, "provisional booking" an' all.

Now where's my Dr. Martins?

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

what site is that, is it www.applied.ie because that doesnt work for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Link is: www.adslnow.ie

Rgds

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭DC

Once again, confusion is introduced with the "cost saving" tables showing 56K and ISDN 64K versus ADSL.

They include the line rental as being something separate from ADSL. With ADSL you still have line rental. Ok, the line is freed up to make calls meaning that some people who had 2 lines, one for telephone and the other for Internet, can revert back to one phone line. For those who shared a line between telephone and Internet, the cost savings aren't as great, but there is a great convenience factor.

Just thought I would raise that before we have people wondering if somehow the line rental charge disappears when the line is unbundled for ADSL. What you do get is effectively 2 lines in 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

for every county that dosnt have adsl they say "We expect the first exchange to go live in Jan 2003" so by jan 2003 they expect adsl to be in at least one exchange in every county? ya right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Forgive my ignorance but wtf are adslnow.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by daveirl
    I thought I was the only one who was out of the loop. Someone please explain!

one of a new breed of middlemen who hope to make a few bob out of adsl. like those guys outside tesco selling multi channel (chorus) subscriptions. there was a fax came into our place the other day from some crowd called hoki in mahon along the same lines as that website

Even got a mailing from some crowd in Dublin reselling €ircon i-scream :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

nowhere on the site does it mention VAT either inclusive or exclusive. It also says it's up to 30 times faster than ISDN. Seeing as ISDN can be 128Kbs they are saying their top speed would be 3.8Mbs(the top speed they advertise is 2Mbit). This company are taking the piss. Feck all info and very misleading pricing and comparisons.

• Advertisement

To be fair, they do compare it with 64K ISDN, and 2,000 kbps is 31.25 times faster than 64K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Seeing as ISDN can be 128Kbs they are saying their top speed would be 3.8Mbs(the top speed they advertise is 2Mbit). This company are taking the piss. Feck all info and very misleading pricing and comparisons.

A single ISDN channel is 64k. Bundling two channels together gives 128k. Bundling 10 together gives 640k. But 64k is one single ISDN channel and seems a perfectly reasonable basis for comparison.
    quozl

Is there any mention of VAT on the site anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Good News!

DSL is now available in Laois. The following exchange is live:

Portlaoise
    Please leave your details and we'll do the rest.

Well arent i blessed , now i just have to go and sell my soul so i can afford the dammed thing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by Pokes
    Good News!

DSL is now available in Laois. The following exchange is live:

Portlaoise

Well WHOOP-DE-F**KING-DOO!!!!

That's great news and I'd love to have it but (Please note: the following is aimed squarely at anyone from Eircom who may be reading this!) I CAN'T AFFORD THOSE KINDS OF PRICES!!!! DROP THEM TO SOMETHING MORE REASONABLE LIKE €30 OR €40 PER MONTH AND THEN YOU *MIGHT* GET ANOTHER CUSTOMER! UNTIL THEN, GO SHOVE YOUR OVERPRICED ADSL UP YOUR HOLE!!!!!! :mad:

Ahem!!! Sorry about folks but it needed saying! :D

I filled in the form on their site and I got a call today from a Sales Girl.

1. I asked if the price on the site was Including or excluding VAT. She hadn't a clue and when I reminded her that the site said €90 she still didn't know if that was with or without VAT.

2. I asked her were they resellers for EsatBT and she again didn't know what I was talking about.

3. They said they were testing my line to see if I was able to get it. Even if I can I won't at those prices and I'd doubt if my exchange is enabled.

So far from looking at their site and talking to yer one today I don't have much faith in their company or service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

The prices are Ex-Vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    Well WHOOP-DE-F**KING-DOO!!!!

Ahem!!! Sorry about folks but it needed saying! :D

ESAT ADSL is available in Portlaoise, the RAT is no nearer than Athlone, you may wanna rephrase a tad :)

M

Originally posted by Xithus
    The prices are Ex-Vat.

I know but the sales girl was very reluctant to let me know that. She like everyone else probably realised that if I thought the price was over €100 a month I'd tell them to eff off. I'll tell them that anyway at that price.

Advertisement