Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zx81, those were the days

Options
  • 22-11-2002 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Just as an excersize in uber l33tn3ss here is a zx81 emulator, for the atari st.

unzip it into the hard drive dir in steem and fire away. only problem is the docs are in german and i cant remember how to use it let alone the zx81....oh well

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Hmmm.....Horace and the spiders on ST....Does the emu support the rather l33t ZX Cartridges? my Germans a little rusty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

when i had it first the was not much talk of the intarwab or downloading of "roms" there are a number of games included with it. the files themselves are .81 now i dont know if that format is still in use today and i serioulsy doubt it is.

after lookin at some speccy games files it seems the files are the same format as the ones out today so anything you dl should work with it.

You sure? I'd would have said .81 was ST specific tbo. All speccy roms crts come in the .z80 for the ZX80 or in the .tap for later speccy's. I'm not sure but there could also be disk images.

[edit] Yep disk images are also available .dsk or TZX for games 88-91 roughly. So you've found .81 fom files on the net or this emu also supports the types I've mentioned above?[edit]

the ones i found were .p

• Advertisement

Huh?:confused: ie galaxian.p ? can you attach that so I can take a look? Do the .81/ .P roms work in say "RealSpectrum" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

PC running Win98 in VMWare, running Acorn A5000 Emulator, running BBC Emulator (!65Host), running terminal emulator (written entirely in BBC Basic), controlling an actual BBC Model B via serial cable (*FX2,1 *FX2,7)

Exactly how far do you reckon it's possible to go with these 'infinite loop' nested emulator thingies? There has to be a maximum number of emulated systems using current emulators.

Smells like a challenge. Anyone?:)

I reckon the best route might be to emulate via Basilisk early on, then run emulators written for Mac.

Dear god man thats insane;) Now you should try getting Amiga and it's respective emulators and DiscoStus zx81 emu running on the St emulator....That is before your machin grinds to a halt:)
    Obviously your going to need Basilisk to get mac gear running but why not get hold of w2k so at least you can get Basilisk II going? HMMm..stable:D

the furthesr ive seen was a win2k machine running vmware win98, running basiliskII, running vmac.

[edit]it was actually a linux box running vmware[/edit]

http://www.honneamise.u-net.com/zx81/

that site has references to the .p and .81 formats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

this thread is so funny. I rember trying to emulate the speccy on my amiga years ago and watching it crawl! cant imagine it on winuae!

I rember seeing one of those zx81 machines when i was in primary school. 1k of ram, plactic flat key board. And the principle of the school showing it off. It was a prise for a raffel and oh how i wanted to win it and diddnet! It might have been what got me started in this game!

Advertisement