Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-owned software in Game

Options
  • 21-11-2002 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Has anyone else the rediculous prices that Game are trying to charge for their pre-owned games recently? They seemed to have bumped up the prices accross the board, with the likes of Medal of Honour, Final Fantasy X and Silent Hill 2 all suddenly costing anything up to €59.99. Maybe they were losing out on sales of new games, but these kind of prices are just stupid. It's just a shame that, Gamesworld aside, they have no competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Yep, I feel the same way about it. I used to buy only pre-owned cos new are too expensive, now I dont buy anything until its really old.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

T'is ridiculous. Yet when you go across the water its VERY much a different kettle of fish.

I got a DreamCast, 5 games, and a 4mb memory card (second hand except for the mem.card) from them for str£110 last Xmas in one of their Scottish stores. Everything was in excellent condition.

Try doing that over here for the equivalent of that price .....

I've stopped buying games/DVDs/albums/most PC parts/etc. in this f*ckwit backwater of a country. The attitude is that the consumer can be absolutely raped again and again, and I'm voting with my wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

it's been said several times in here DO NOT BUY SOFTWARE IN GAME. Their prices are nearly a total rip-off.

Although I was shown www.cdwow.ie yesterday and was very pleased with the very fair prices on music cds. This cheered me up no end, €13.95 for a new release, it's seems that not eveyone is trying to rip us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

but cdwow's range is about as wide as a scumbags vocabulary.

Originally posted by DiscoStu

very true but it's still refreshing not to be ripped off by an Irish site/shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

My god that's a nice simile :)

Must remember to use that in the future.

i had another one involving a quadraplegic and the distance between his/her 2 index fingers......but thats just tasteless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

i had another one involving a quadraplegic and the distance between his/her 2 index fingers......but thats just tasteless

LOL .. and I thought the scumbag joke was funny

any game is the biggest load of crap ever, they have this 'Lowest price gaurentee' when usually across teh road in HMV its cheaper, and nearly always cheaper in smyths

and if you say, I seen the game cheaper instead of lowering their prices they just say, we'll match it

what this means is that when mommy is buying little johhny a game for x-mas/b-day, she see's the lowest price thing and says 'well I wont get it cheaper anywhere else'

The only good thing about it is the 10day return policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

10 day returns policy is excellent but they force us to take advantage of it.
    If you plan your purchases ie a weeks holiday from wokr or few days off buy a gamer and you will complete it within the 10 days.

Bring it back get a new one.

KdjaC

Have you see the game prices in general in that shop . Big posters saying lowest prices guaranteed . Yet every game is dearer then other shops . I bought a new release there for 35 quid on the PC . Went to virgin and it was 20 quid . that 15 quid !! alot of money .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Slightly off thread, Cwwow.ie is a good site but don't buy DVDs there unless you have a multiregional DVD player. most of the DVD's they provide are from a different region.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

CDWOW is an Irish site with good prices, true. It is not however an Irish company and the shiiping times can be a bit ridiculous at times. I ordered a CD off them that the site said was in stock but after mailing them a week later I was informed that it would be back in stock in 10 days time and shipped then.
    It's just an Irish storefront. I realise Komplett.ie is about as Irish as Jack Charlton but at least they seem to have their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Ps2:

Preowned World Rally Championship [Platinum] Game, Dawson Street: €39.99
    New World Rally Championship, [Not Platinum] Game, Dawson Street: €34.99
    New World Rally Championship, [Platinum] Gamesworld, Liffey Street(?): €29.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Preowned World Rally Championship [Platinum] Game, Dawson Street: €39.99
    New World Rally Championship, [Not Platinum] Game, Dawson Street: €34.99
    New World Rally Championship, [Platinum] Gamesworld, Liffey Street(?): €29.99
    omfg, what a gyp!
    what are game playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I found Freak Out for just over €10 in Blanch tbh.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It must be said, who every goes into Game (knowing about the high price) and buys a game is a fool

Go to Smiths or Gamesworld or go online to play.com or any where with half ok prices.

i got final fantasy 7 for €14 a few months ago. and thats pretty rare nowadays.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

we all agree that game have gone down hill in the last 2 years.
    It would be nice to see them post their side of the story up here as some companies have!

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    we all agree that game have gone down hill in the last 2 years.
    It would be nice to see them post their side of the story up here as some companies have!

Unfortunately it seems that jacking up the prices as much as Game has can leave little doubt that it isn't profiteering. If other smaller companies in Ireland can charge much lower prices, sometimes in the order of 35% less on new games then Game with it's buying power can do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by spooky donkey

I doubt it would be nice, but it would be interesting.
    :)

/distinction!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I rarely buy anything new in Game, because online stores are cheaper and easier, but its sometimes worthwhile poking around the bargain bin in there - I found Shadow Hearts and Rez for a tenner each last week. When they're clearing out stock they can have silly prices too... N64 and DC consoles for fifteen quid! DC games for 99p!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

N64 and DC consoles for fifteen quid!

Are you serious? I could always do with a second dreamcast - my one seems to be on its last legs... well it has been three years now. (Compared with the reliability I've had from PSOne/PS2 that's 'amazing' :p )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gamecube Eternal Darkness, Virgin Blanch €39,99
    Gamecube Eternal Darkness, Game Blanch €64,99

Gamecube Tony Hawks 4, Virgin Henry St €39,99
    Gamecube Tony Hawks 4, Game Grafton St €64,99

Gamecube Resident Evil, Virgin Blanch €44,99
    Gamecube Resident Evil, Game Blanch €49,99

Game Blanch were charging €69,99 for Resident Evil but word got around that the game was €25 cheaper if you spent 50 seconds longer walking to Virgin! so they reduced it to €49,99 in Game.. still dearer..

PC Unreal Tournment 2003, Virgin Blanch €59,99
    PC Unreal Tournment 2003, Game Blanch €64,99

Im sure theres many more differences like the above which offer substantial savings by avoiding GAME like the plague, for me personally Virgin wins hands down as the Irish retailer offering the best bargains on some titles. If a game is the same price everywhere I still dont buy from GAME on principles alone, those rip-off cowboys dont deserve their place in the Irish gaming market. It was sad to see Electronics Boutique changed into GAME... they were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It was sad to see Electronics Boutique changed into GAME... they were good.

Errr.....

Electronics Boutique bought GAME several years ago. They've been trading as exactly the same chain (same prices, same stockists etc) since then. Earlier this year EB's management decided to stop licensing the Electronics Boutique name (which belongs to a company in the USA) and change everything over to GAME.

EB swallowed GAME and assumed their identity, not vice versa...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It sickened me to see how much business Game in Limerick were doing yesterday. The place was packed with people buying consoles and games.

10 minutes walk to Smyths would have yielded considerably cheaper prices.

Would it be illegal for someone from Smyths to stand outside Game handing out 'Price Comparison' pamphlets? :)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by TmB
    Would it be illegal for someone from Smyths to stand outside Game handing out 'Price Comparison' pamphlets? :)

Ha, that would be funny.

Smyths in Limerick really don't stock too many PC titles though - they have the top 10 and a few stragglers obviously but choice is quite disappointing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The choice of decent pc games at the moment is disappointing. Nothing except Warcraft 3 has been any good in the last 6 months.
    There was a time when EB were the cheapest in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Dear Marc

Thank you for your email

I have forwarded it onto the necessary department and they may wish to
    contact you further.

In the mean time I would like to offer my assistance with any price queries
    or comments that you may have. If you feel aggrieved in any way I will be
    happy to look into the matter to see if I can dispel any grievance you amy
    feel

I look forward to your reply

Regards

Greg Pascoe

Customer service advisor
    GAME Stores Group Ltd

Original Message
    Sent: 24 November 2002 11:51
    To: customerservices@game.uk.com
    Subject: Pre-Owned software.

Dear Sir/Madame,

I would like to draw your attention to this on-line discussion forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71022
    The topic of discussion is the ludacrise price-rise that has happened over
    the last few months in your Irish stores.

Yours etc,

Marc O'Morain

bad spelling by me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I was looking for Twisted Metal:Black on the PS2, found it in game for a whooping €50, it's a ridiculous price for a game that is nearly a year old now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement