Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

age to give a pet to a son/daughter

Options
  • 21-11-2002 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

the dilemma at home :
    they are 6 and want a dog for christmas .
    my thoughtspersonally i think this is way way to young but the wife says yeah .

If it was up to my kids would be in their teens before they should be made responsible for a dog. Maybe a smaller pet would be more inline like a hamster ? any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

At that age, it all depends on whether you want to take on that responsibility yourselves and have the time (and space) to bring the kids for a walk with the dog.

I don't know much about hamsters and the like, but if you're getting something small like that, its best to make sure it has a decent lifespan :)

However if you're set on a dog and in the Kildare area I'd reccomend a visit to the Animal Shelter there.. by choosing a dog from there you'll be helping them out and yourselves (they all have their shots/neutered etc.), by sister recently picked up two 2yr olds from there, both extremely beautiful (very timid and shy at first, obviously from their past owners) and very friendly dogs.

And for gods sake don't get one at Christmas... wait till January, and see if the kids still feel strongly about it, chances are their friends just got a dog or something and so theres a buzz about it at the moment.

Oh and just on the teens bit.. nah, dogs are great fun for playing with, I can remember playing out the back many a summer with our dog as a kid (we got him when I was 7).. don't remember once feeding it mind you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

Well I would say that if you or your wife are a pet person then you should have no problems, if the two of you are not then you can be sure that the kids will loose interest and you should avoid getting one.

No matter what age they are you will have to assume responsibility for the dog. If you are interested in keeping the dog then the kids will get involved, if you have no interest and do nothing with the dog then they won't either once the initial thrill is gone.

I have seen this with my neighbours, they got a pup in the summer for their two girls (ages 8 & 10). The girls had a great interest at the start and were constantly playing, walking the dog. I never seen the parents do anything but give out to it. Now the girls have lost interest and the dog just hangs around outside all day and gets little or no interaction from anyone.

At the end of the day you need to spend time with your dog, if you don't then it just becomes a pest particularly pups.

Finally, I have to say that nothing beats seeing the relationship that builds up between your dog and your children once you encourage it, they really become buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Seating,

Having a pet can be a great part of growing up. It'll (to an extent) teach kids responsibility and how to care for something. But in general, if you're going to get a pet for a kid that age, be aware that you will be the one taking care of it and training it (if a dog or similar animal).

We had a dog and cats while I was growing up and I'm very happy for it. Made being a child that little bit better :)

Most I did when I was younger though was ocassionaly feed the cats. Never cleaned up after them. And you know cats, and furballs!

Like Kali said though, don't get it for Christmas. It turns the dog into a present instead of a member of the family. We all get bored with presents after a while and you don't want that happening to your beloved pet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Seating last Christmas my daughter wanted a Guinea Pig which we told her was not the right time of the year to buy any pet and if she still wanted the pet then she could have it in the summer.
    And exactly like an alarm clock as soon as she finished playschool for the summer she remembered the promise.
    So we got her the Guinea pig.And to be honest Ive never seen a child look after a pet so well(Shes 4 Btw)even down to cleaning the cage etc.Unfortunately the Guinea pig died after about 3 months and she was devastated.
    But it does go to show that if a child really wants a pet then putting them off for a bit give them time to think about really wanting the pet.
    If your kids are serious then tell them they can have the pet in say January and please do something for a first pet try and get a rescue dog as in January/February there are plenty of puppies around which need good homes.

Advertisement