Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiga: Now progress would be better if I could save...

Options
  • 21-11-2002 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I'm currently getting back into the swing of things with WinUAE reliving many of those golden moments. One of those was with Cannon Fodder. So much so that I've decided to sit down and complete the game. Unfortunately I'm not going to do this in one sitting. So I tried to save the game. But it doesn't work saying it can't format.. try another floppy. This is after inserting a "blank formatted" floppy image into df0:. This floppy was formatted under workbench 3.1 (with kickstart 3.1). I can't see why the game won't save on it or format it. It was labelled originally "empty" in workbench (although I called the filename is called saves.adf).

I remember coming across a pre-formatted .adf file. Although at the time I considered it pointless as you could make one yourself. Now maybe I now need it? Has one has any problems with this or is there another setting I'm missing. I'm emulating under XP pro (directX 8.1).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

had the same problem myself, would like to know the fix to this.
    wanted to play frontier: elite 2 on the amiga cause combat on the pc version was impossible.
    a game that definitly needs a working save option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

its been a while since i used winuae but im almost sure that if you use the create custom floppy from the floppy tab in configuration and use that one to save it will work. dont format it or anything let cannnon fodder handle all that.

if that fails and machine is l33t enough use the newest version of winuae. there should be an option for savestates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Another game I tried saving/formatting with was Supremacy. "There was error saving" message when a save attempt was made. I'm sure this is not a real problem but maybe I should try a few more games first. I know I can save text files and the like on one (via the workbench).

A roundabout solution is to try the "save state" feature on WinUAE when you want to save and load the state later (*.uss files). However when I tried this and hit save, the .uss file is not generated. I tried this on WinUAE 0.8.21 release 2 and will try again on WinUAE 0.8.22 release 2. :rolleyes:

Good one DiscoStu!

Yes, the custom disk! Arrgh! :rolleyes: I should have seen that one. I assumed it was the "create standard floppy" or a blank formatted disk. Anyway, loaded up Cannon Fodder again (wacky tune!), put in my custom floppy (heh heh!) and formatted there again. This time it worked - and entertained may I add by their suggestions that I go and make a cup a tea while it formats the disk! Afterwards... saved. Cool!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Ah jesus lads:) Why not just use the Save current state and load save state?winuae.jpg

None of this custom disk stuff unless you really like the old days. hamster all you have to do is make sure the games running when you go to load the save game. Works every time for me with every game i have. This also allows you to save half way through a mission in cannon fodder:)

• Advertisement

Got the latest version of WinUAE and am now sorted... btw I'm starting to get paranoid about blowing up buildings in Cannon Fodder... the toppled roofs always aim for my soldiers! :)

Advertisement