Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Autopsy

Options
  • 21-11-2002 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

So did anyone see it? Do you think it was going a bit too far and shouldn't have been shown? Or did you watch it with enjoyment? Personally I couldn't wait to see it and when I did see it I thought it was really interesting. But then again I always shows like that and 'The Operation' and anything like it. And for anyone who didn't see it, it was an autopsy on TV. The first live autopsy in Britain for 175 years so in a way it was groundbreaking as well. So what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Bah I missed it... Is this the one that the guy doing it was going to be jailed for doing it because it was illegal and medical experts dogged him into the cops?

Have to say though, this kind of stuff is on Discovery channel every night unfortunately for my sleep patterns :S

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

What channel was it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Gordon
    Bah I missed it... Is this the one that the guy doing it was going to be jailed for doing it because it was illegal and medical experts dogged him into the cops?

He didn't have a licence to perform autopsy's, AND he was doing it in an art gallery which...I don't think is allowed.

AFAIK the cops asked for a few anatomy professors to be present to make sure it was all above-board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Was it gruesome? I didn't see it and have no idear what was done in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 NiN

I wouldn't say gruesome but it was kinda disturbing to my mind although it kept you watching even though you wanted to look away.

They had this 70 year old German guy who died from heart failure, they knew he had been drinking 2 bottles of whiskey every day for the last 20 years of his life and he smoked 50 cigs a day.

He cut his chest open down the accross the top and down the middle to his pelvis and open him up like a set of swing doors. Then took out one his rib cage so he could take his organs out and someone walked around the audience showing the ribs to people. He then proceeded to take out what looked like a hack saw and take the top of the dead guys skull off so he could take out his brain.

Very weird to watch....., they took a break then and came back to analyse the organs. Slicing the brain up with a "brain knife" to see if there was any blood in there when he died. Cut open the heart and took out the clotted blood and cut open his gallbladder where green liquid poured out to reveal pea sized gall stones. They found an ulcer on one of his kidneys too but came to the conclusion that he had died from an enlarged heart. His heart had tried to grow bigger to cope with strain he was putting on his body with his drinking etc. and they said that the electrical impulses that cause your heart to pump become mis timed when your heart becomes enlarged. Causing cardiac arrest, that's why they use those shock things to shock your heart back into the right sync.

Leaves you with an eiry feeling.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I thought it was fascinating personally - one of the most interesting and educational things I've seen on television in a very long time.

Some bits of it were a bit unpleasant, but they were mostly the damaged parts of the body which had been ravaged by years of abuse - which was thought provoking in itself.

(The Body Works exhibition is also a fantastic thing - again very educational and well worth a visit if you're around to see it.)

Yeah it made me think to see the yellow fat mass stuck to that guys heart.

Made me walk right past the sossies this morning and pick up the Special K:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

yeah that was sick alrite - makes me kinda glad im a vegetarian who doesn't smoke woohoo me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I'm seriously considering a lifestyle change after seeing the inside of yer mans stomach.....

when they cut his heart in two and picked out the massive blood clot , jeesus it makes ya think....

I thought it was an eye opening programme but would not want to see it on TV every night of the week....

Yeah, I did kind of agree with the guys they had commenting on it, that it could have been more educational. It was a little too much like they were just cutting him to pieces and showing the bits off to everyone. Not that that it wasn't educational, just could have been more focus on education rather than entertainment.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im so glad i missed it. I do my best to miss The Operation as much as possible too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you sure C4 were'nt showing a special editon of Re-animator?

Seriously though, I dont have a problem with this sort of stuff being shown at midnight on a weekday, any childen watching deserve the nightmares they get. ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

interesting and educational

did you really think it was educational? because personally I didnt think so! In my opinion it was pure entertainment! and shamelessly portrated as that too considering the venue! the q&a session that was carried out by the British doctor was a vague attempt to legitimise it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i tried to watch it and thought it was very boring so i watched the cricket instead (i know what you're thinking :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i cant understand how anyone would want to watch that sick ****:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭colinsky

I was interested in watching the autopsy, but apparently the director/editor thought I was instead interested in spending most of an hour watching an audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

They had this 70 year old German guy who died from heart failure, they knew he had been drinking 2 bottles of whiskey every day for the last 20 years of his life and he smoked 50 cigs a day.

Thats probably why his genitals looked very peculiar, colour and shape.

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    Thats probably why his genitals looked very peculiar, colour and shape.

Funny colour? Are they not supposed to look like a couple of boiled spuds and squishy bannana a couple weeks past it's sell by date? I better get myself to the doctors then. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

The Original Autopsy.

On TV3 again now, for those that missed it 9 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kleefarr wrote: »
    The Original Autopsy

On TV3 again now, for those that missed it 9 years ago.

yeah I am watching it now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement