Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Game Controller question

Options
  • 20-11-2002 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I recently got hold of a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 and so far have been quite impressed with it. However it is quite limiting using only the keyboard and I was thinking of investing in a joystick. Does anyone here have any recommendations on makes and models of joysticks? I also like to play the odd racing game so I'd probably use it for them as well.

G.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive got Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick for flight sims,lots of buttons about 30 euros.,.
    For racing go for a FF wheel and pedals if your serious about them,150 eoros approx.
    OR you could go for a good FF Pad ,lots available from MS,Gravis,Thrustmaster,Logitech etc 30 euros approx.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭GiMiC

I'd heard some good things about the MS controllers before alright. Didn't realise they were that cheap. I'd be more interested in the flight-sims than the racing games, so buying a wheel would be a bit lavish, even if it would be great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'll say this once.
    Don't get a force-feedback joystick for modern flightsims.
    There is no force to be fedback on real control sticks.
    Only "realistic" if playing something like IL-2

I got a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D about 3 years ago.
    Still in perfect working order. 7 buttons (5 incl. trigger on stick, 2 on base), throttle, rudder(in stick), digital POV hat.
    The software for it is quite good too.

Fits my hand well and has a nice heavy base for those "exciting moments" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Ms Flight Sim 2k2 aint entirly about the heavies. there is a large number of cessnas, a sopwith camel, a WWII us navy corsair and a aerobatic plane to. so a good ff joystick wouldnt go amis with it.

if youve the cash go for a hotas setup. not cheap but worth it if your going to be doing a lot of flying. saitek x36 is a good all rounder(but no FF).

id still be up there if i didnt have to have poxy c++ builder on the computer for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

eyah, a nice HOTAS system rocks.

You see the new thrustmaster setup?
    The stick alone is about E200, the throttle weighing in at aounr 150 afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

yep that cougar setup looks pretty damn sweet. id say it would last quite a long time.

for those on a budget the saitek x45 is pretty good on £80 sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I have a sidewinder FF wheel, sidewinder FF2 joystick and sidewinder gamepad. They're all excellent quality, well built. I use the joystick for most racing sims now, just because a i couldn't be arsd setting up the wheel and pedals. My point is, the joystick works grand for most racing games, don't listen to these people who say a wheel is essential. some of the best Grand Prix Legends players use a joystick, cos it's more responsive, though less accurate.

About Force Feedback... I'm not impressed with it at all... it's a complete gimmick, it really ads little to games, except maybe racing games. but you can't use FF on a racing game with a joystick, cos it'll wrench your hand off... impossible to control :)

My conclusion is that you should get a cheap non-FF microsoft joystick. They're cool cos they twist (for rudder control) and you don't need pedals. Again, don't listen to people who say you need pedals, cos i have pedals and still use the twisty thing. It's handy, and you only have to buy one thing. some of us might be on a budget ;)

(and of course, "force feedback" on joypads is compleeeeeeeetely gimmicky. All it can do is make your PS2 controller move magically by itself when you meet that psychic guy in Metal Gear Solid 1 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Racing: MS Sidewinder FF
    Cost me 150 punts bout 3 years ago.
    Some racing games support FF better than others so check first.

Advertisement