Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't be afraid to talk to children

Options
  • 20-11-2002 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭

I saw something on TV last night advising people to avoid not talking to children (for fear of being accused of something nefarious) as this itself is isolating children and allowing abuse to continue.

Comments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is getting scarey out there I know that with all hte hirrible crimes in the last year with children as the victums people are freaked but i dont want to be attacked or verbally abused cos i smile at a child and say hi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Victor

I would agree, some children won't look or talk to anyone, anyhow, but for other children they just want to talk to the whole world and I think it is nice for people to smile and say hello. Any potential abuser will cultivate the child first prior to any inappropriate behaviour. I think if parents can educate their children not to go off with strangers, although in this day and age young children should be with the parents at all times and older kids tend to have much more smarts. Also if children are confident, not afraid to speak up for themselves and say they don;t like something they are less likely to be harmed. It is the quiet, shy and less confident child who is picked on. It is a sad fact, I think though that society can go too far in being careful to point that by ignoring a child can be hurtful and possibly harmful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

As to educating children to protect myself. As soon as mine are around 7 they're going to learn self-defence - more with a view to them knowing to spot trouble and stay clear than actually "having a go", but if they can beat the crap into a would-be attacker so much the better.

As to talking to children, of course you should. However I would be suspicious of someone how seemed determined to stay out of my hearing range when talking to my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Talliesin
    However I would be suspicious of someone how seemed determined to stay out of my hearing range when talking to my kids.
    Of course, that isn't what was being suggested.

Advertisement