Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SIMS and XP

Options
  • 20-11-2002 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Has anyone come across a problem where you must be an XP administrator to run the game???

IN a family scenario where there are a number of users I don't want to give the kids admin priv to play a game.

Any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Hmmmm.... I don't know about the Sims specifically but quite a lot of software nowadays asks which user you want to install for at the beginning of the process - just yourself, or everyone who uses the PC. Selecting the first option causes trouble like this when others attempt to access the software.

Beyond that, I don't really know and I don't have a copy of the game handy to test it out... Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I noticed for several games on my Win2000 that it's asks for admin right to install the game. I haven't seen anything about having admin rights to play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Theres a setting in the policy settings for users of who can install programs on the machine. By default only Administrators are on it. You can add another person onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Yes - many programs require you to be admin to tun them - eg pagemaker 5.5, c+c red alert.

I'm sure there is a way round it eg. customised 'power user' logon. But i have never been bothered.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

If you want you're kids to be able to play, but don't mind giving them a few privelages, you could make their accounts 'Power Users'. They have permission to install/run certain programs, but not as much freedom as an Admin..they wouldn't be able to cause any serious damage. :)

Gota Control Panel > Adminstrative Tools > Computer Managment
    > Local Users & Groups. You can set it there

[edit]Gah..Tribble beat me too it! :p[/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WWWx

Folks,

Thanks for the info. I will try to use the 'power user option' and see how that goes.

Thanks Again

WWWx

Advertisement