Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro coin collection

Options
  • 13-11-2002 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

I want to get my dad a collection of all the Euro coins (all countries) for Xmas.

1) Can only find 2 coin dealers in Golden Pages. Does anyone know any more? (anywhere in Eire)

2) Does anyone know what the going rate for a collection is?
    I was quoted Euro 225.00+.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Try www.eurocoins.co.uk
    I have most coins except im missing some 1 and 2c's from greece, finland (impossible to get hold of =( )
    and i've none from the vatican, monaco or san marino.. not too bothered about them tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I have them all (apart from the 3 microstates), it's easy enough to come by them, just contact coin collectors by email (worked for me), only problem is that most collectors will want uncirculated coins, which are a pain to come by.

I also heard the Central Bank was selling a framed set of all the coins from the 15 Main countries.

(Good luck with the FInland 1 and 2c by the way, even the guy in finland i swapped with couldn't find any, I eventually got them from someone in Lux.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

theydont use the 1 and 2 cent coins in finland, as far as i heard

they got only a few printed and then decided not to use them or something to that effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

finland (impossible to get hold of =(
    there areplenty of "swap" sites where you can get hold of the FInish coins...my brother sent a guy in finland the Irish starter kit and he sent him one which included All coins! not sure if such packs are still available though!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Bit of a run down for you guys:

1c and 2c Finland coins were minted in 1999/2000/2001 but were never released into circulation and most likely never will be. Their value can only increase when you think of the people in 5 years time trying to complete a collection. Their value varies depending on the year. They can be got though, I've bought a roll of each to keep herself and a few friends happy as they were the ones everyone was missing of course and I've been selling the excess off in the buy and sell.

The 3 other states, Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican are only allowed by the EU to mint a limited amount of coins for both circulation and special edition sets. This means the smallest state (the Vatican) will have the rarest coins. Well over 1,000 Euro for a set of Vaticano coins at the moment, ' Foged aboudett ' as Hugh Grant would say.

Next rarest are the San Marino, they only released the top 4 coins for circulation and the whole set of 8 only in limited edition offical sets which sell for about 300 Euro. The official set of 4 limited to 50,000 sells for around 100 yo yo's. You won't get your hands on circulated ones as their limited stock of 4 coins intended for circulation is swipped up by collectors as soon as their released and sold off into sets which fetch just as much as the special edition sets of 4! See scan:
    http://www.esatclear.ie/~lorenzo/SanMarinoCoin1.jpg

Monaco are the least rare but not far behind S. Marino. In 2001 they circulated all the 8 coins but again in limited amounts which were swipped up by dealers. In 2002 they didn't circulate the 1c/2c/5c and most likely never will again except in special edition sets. This means the copper ones which are of course all 2001 are worth the most, about 50 Euro each coin! All 8 coins of 2001 not special edition will set you back over 200. And special editions 8 coin sets around 300. A complete set of 2002 which is only 5 coins can be had for around 70 Euro:
    http://www.esatclear.ie/~lorenzo/Monaco5.jpg

The Girlfriend cost me a FORTUNE this Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

It's a bit O/T but I go to a series of international meetings every month at which all the EU states are represented. The meetings are normally for one day,however from January 2002, they start an hour earlier for 'euro swapping'!!!!

Advertisement