Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing on the East coast?

Options
  • 13-11-2002 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, can anyone tell me of any decent places to go for surfing lessons on the east coast, preferably Louth/Dublin/Wicklow areas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Hmm, not much surf over there. You're best bet is to get onto the East Coast Surfing Club.
    I'm sure they organise trips west every weekend so you shouldn't have too many problems.
    There's a guy giving lessons in
    Lahinch at the weekends depending on the conditions. You could also head down to T-Bay and get some lessons from the surf club there.

Careful you don't get addicted. You'll probably end up moving home! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭MAC_E

I know theres a few way down in tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Enygma

Careful you don't get addicted. You'll probably end up moving home! :D

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Well the east coast isn't great and if you're coming from somewhere that has good surf you may well end up moving back there to enjoy it properly :D

at least I think that's what he's getting at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Exactly, I know that one session a week at the weekends would not do me. I'd surf every day if I could and would seriously consider moving somewhere nearer the sea just so I could surf more often.
    It's not just a sport, it's an addiction :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

About a month ago (just after that big storm) there was a good surf on Carne beach, with some surfers out. Its right beside the southeast corner of Ireland, so it could be quite dangerous.
    I drove around to Carnsore pt (sth coast , about 10 mins drive) and even walking along the beach would be dangerous if you were too close to the water..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Lahinch is a pleasent place to surf, nice facilities etc, but is far from being the best break in the area. It is still well worth a visit though, and you can get info on exactly what the surf is like as well as daily predictions curtosy of Tom at the Lahinch Surf Shop.

Personally it is Kayak surfing I'm more interensted in though;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pejwright

Hi, I live close to the ease cost and i surf it when the weather conditions are right, the beach is called Magheragh More and is in Wicklow between Brittas Bay and Silver Strand beachs.
    Very good after, even during SE/S Force 5+ Low to mid tide. Access hidden(it's like a drive to a house, but is a long lane full of potholes), A nice right can wrap around the cliffs that shelter the break from the high winds, also some peaks in the centre of the beach. Keep to the south end of the beach. Or u can try the Beach in Killiney, needs Force 5+ NW/W at low tide. Give them a try, The other lads are right Lahinch is a good spot, but Bundoran (Tullan Strand) will always have a wave when nowhere else in Ireland does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pejwright

Sorry i made a mistake above, for Killiney beach i ment NE/E winds, u'll even get waves with a SE wind there once it's force 5+

• Advertisement
Advertisement