Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden & Dangerous - won't run on XP - please help

Options
  • 11-11-2002 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I know H&D is a really dated game but every now and again it is just brilliant fun, one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played. I have recently moved to an XP machine but it doesn't run (although H&D is developed for DirectX 6 - XP runs 8.1 (I think). :(

Does anyone know how to get this running (or how to make an DirectX 8.1 compatible with Direct X 6 (I should be default shouldn't it :confused: ) - I always played it on Win98.

Thanks in advance for any help,

The Duke : ))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

as far as i know the only way is to buy hidden and dangerous delux :( its basically a the game and the mission pack patched up to run on modern machines sorry. and you cant get the patch for the original one.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

Hi DiscoStu,

Thanks a mill for the reply.

Where would I find/buy this Delux version as I can not find anything on the various game sites - I am sure it would be at budget price by now so buying it again doesn't really bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i seen it in game a few weeks ago i think it was about €16

I found dozens of H&D fan(atics) sites. Thought I was the only sad person that was still mad about this game. Never got the same buss out of MOHAA or BF1942... lacked that depth of atmosphere.

The Deluxe has an impoved graphics engine and lost more (although the AI is still suposed to suck) and at €19 defintinely worth getting.

Thanks again,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

if you right click on the exe, select properties you will see a tab called "compatibility" - try running the game in Win95 mode..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I think its an NTFS FAT32 issue like that Project IGI game that has simliar prob.

i think anyways.

kdja

I don't think it is hte file system - the graphics won't run or are very very flacy. I think that Microsoft may have changed something quite fundamental in their architecture when moving to Win XP (which I thought was supposed to be backwards compatible) - possibly the developers used some direct OS hooks to get better performance cause if it was 100% DirectX compatible it should work.

I am going to try the run with Win95 complatiblity option (never knw that was there - although I am sceptical) - but for €19 I think I'll go for the Deluxe version.

Hi guys,

To check out the Win95 compatilbity option, I installed the Devil's Bridge version (just to see) - and the thing ran. The only things that were affected was the water and sky which looked more like a slab of concrete but when I went back to the main menu and reloaded the level it was ok.

I have my XP machine patched to the very latest version so maybe they've fixed something there.

Played it for about 2 hours with the same level of suspence as the first time... this is just such an amazing game.

Thanks again for the help,

Advertisement