Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

always on connection near kinnegad

Options
  • 11-11-2002 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

feel free to move if this should be raised in another forum

I live in Clonard on the N4 3 miles on the Dublin side of Kinnegad.

Currently and for the foreseeable future I will have access to no broadband infrastructure.

We do have access to cable but this is provided by a community mast so no joy there.

Currently using ISDN but what other alternatives are there?

IS WLL likely to be available any time soon?

Apart from moving what other reasonable cost options are there for under 150 euro a month?

Whats really annoying about this is that 100 feet away from my front door their is enough fibre under the road to give me as many T3 connections as I could possibly want.

JWT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

I live in Kinnegad and I have looked into getting a decent always on connection for work purposes. Unfortunately, other than satellite (expensive), there is currently no other option available apart from ISDN, which I use now.

I had a conversation with a girl in the ODTR about a related issue but we spoke about Kinnegad, like you mentioned there is a sh1te load of fibre passing through the area and it wouldn't be difficult to hook in the exchanges to the fibre. It just needs somebody to get the finger out and do it, which seems to be the big problem in this country.

It might be a good idea looking into setting up a community WAN, whereby a satellite or some other fast connection is shared out among people in the vicinity via 802.11.

Other than that there doesn't seem to be much choice :rolleyes:

I always liked toying with the idea of the DSL in a barn project...
    see http://www.rric.net/

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

I have thought about a local wireless group, but I’m not sure how much interest there would be. I have contacted ESAT about their WLL plans but I never get any info.

From the back of Kinnegad you can see the streetlights of Clonard so LOS is pretty good. If you could attach a mast to the new cement factory smoke stack you could cover from Mullingar to Enfield and Monastrevin to Trim its so flat. Mind you, the local wildlife would get cooked from the Tx but that’s the price of progress :)

I wonder if Cablenet or whowever runs cable around here now has any plans to use full cable rather than the crappy community mast system. That would at least offer a ray of hope.

A well, I’ll just have to wait for flat rate and keep on with ISDN.:(

JWT

Originally posted by jwt
    I have thought about a local wireless group, but I’m not sure how much interest there would be. I have contacted ESAT about their WLL plans but I never get any info.
    Yeah, I don't think that there are enough ppl willing to install external antennas for a local wireless group here in Kinnegad. What WLL plans did you hear ESAT have?
    I wonder if Cablenet or whowever runs cable around here now has any plans to use full cable rather than the crappy community mast system. That would at least offer a ray of hope.
    email I sent to Chorus recently regarding Powernet:

Subject: RE: Powernet Availability Query
    Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:42:16 +0100
    To: <viking>

Dear <viking>,

Unfortunately, we do not have PowerNet in Co Westmeath and do not have plans
    for such in the next 24 months.

However, our residential cable modem service is being rolled out in cable
    areas across the country, again not in your area in the next 18 months, but
    perhaps after that.

Regards,

<Chorus>

Ah well, at least it made me laugh if anything else :rolleyes:

viking

esat wll

JWT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the specs largely refer to FWA rather than WLL ...which runs at ISDN speeds. ESAT have lumped both products in on the one page.

The Westmeath and Kildare FWA licences have been taken off ESAT since last month see

Here so ye can forget about that. They have not been reissued.

The Meath licence belonged to the notorious Chorus. They had all their FWA licences taken Away from them but they do use their WLL licences in Cork/Dublin/Limerick and maybe in Kildare.

Therefore, as of last month nobody is providing Wireless in Meath/Kildare/Westmeath above 128k speed.....not even €ircon

Ye have the Western Digital Corridor runnning from Clonard to Kinnegad.....unlit. Actually it runs from Dublin to Galway and Shannon Unlit since it was laid in early 2000. The nearest town with DSL is Mullingar which is also on that fibre.

Why not 'borrow' a bit of it. As taxpayers you have already paid for 30% of it so don't take it all (there are 48 pairs ISTR).

2 x 1000Base LX cards and one of the 48 pairs should do the trick.

M

• Advertisement

This 'Western Digital Corridor' will allow businesses and communities along the route to access a greatly expanded range of advanced broadband communications services offered by national and global operators

OK I am on the route, I am a business, wheres the beef sorry broadband!!!!!

Now I'm just disheartned.................hmmmmm

125 ft single mode fibre
    2 fibre cards
    bit of leg work
    brown envelope to eircom employee at dublin end of fibre

mmmmm I like it :)

JWT

jWt

that purity of greed requires a 1000base LH and not LX solution.

1000Base LX will get you a Gigabit ta Kinnegad

see http://www.intel.com/support/express/switches/420/31269.htm

M

Guys, in all honesty, is this possible?

Could we simply connect into the massive fibre passing by our doorsteps?

Or is it just wishful thinking?

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Muck,

do you have a map of Ireland showing where all the fibre is ?

Forfas run this one which is a tad slow

http://www.infrastructure.ie/

The App is here whicch allows a (slow) search , try Mullingar , click GO (from the Dropdown list) and then click Telecomms in the lower part.. ( it defaults to electricity) .

http://www.infrastructure.ie/mapapp/default.htm

The ODTR Ovum report maybe has more

Here is a 2 year old one

http://www.wdc.ie/db-files/SoWChp11-13.pdf (p107)

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

I can't remember there being a map in the Ovum report ...
    I check out those references thanks ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rhino247365

jwt - any luck getting access to fibre/more bandwidth? I ask because I am thinking of initiating 802.11b network in proviincial (outside Dublin) areas, so Tullamore/Mullingar/Athlone etc would be obvious targets...what I need to know is if there is a demand to try the impossible and unwire rural Ireland?

Rhino^

Ok then....

I have a wireless 802.11b router, as it happens mounted in the attic so cabling and antennae issues should be minimised.

Any body else in the areas mentioned ie. enfield clonard kinnegad etc want to play with this wireless wan??

JWT

PM sent, jwt

viking

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have a look through or post on www.irishwan.org/boards to see the interest.

Current links being looked at are to Leixlip then Onward to Maynooth.. Hops can easily be 8Km - or up to double this if you want to drop down to 1Mb which is faster than most ADSL if you take contention into account.

With 802.11b - the main problem is getting a Line of sight with electricity. A standalone AP reset to factory settings will allow clients to see each other, it will act as a repeator.

So if any of you guys would be able to get permission to install one in a church steeple etc. then you are on the pigs back.

Each hop takes about 5 ms and at present LEAP look like being the best bet as the original ISP... (none of your eircom interleaving)

( If it was simple to get dark fibre lit then a lot of Irishwan communities would be linked up within a month. )

Advertisement