Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Gamer dies after Massive Binge

Options
  • 08-11-2002 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Article here courtesy of UnixPunx

Victim played for 32 hours non-stop
    Just days after the first 'internet overdose', another addict has died after a marathon games binge.

The 27 year-old Taiwanese man collapsed after playing computer games for 32 hours non-stop.

Police confirmed that Lien Wen-cheng started playing at the cyber cafe in Fengyuan in central Taiwan at 10.30pm on Thursday.

At 7am on Saturday, a staff member found the man on the floor of the cafe's toilet foaming at the mouth and bleeding from the nose. "They rushed him to hospital but he was already dead," local police said.

A police spokesman stated that doctors believe Wen-cheng died from exhaustion, having remained in the same position for too long. The death highlights the danger of such intensive game-playing.

Less than 10 days ago, a 24 year-old South Korean man died at an internet cafe in Kwangju, 260km outside Seoul, after playing continuously for 86 hours.

Psychologist Peter Watson explained that playing games over prolonged periods without sleep places the body under considerable stress.

"Depending on the game, the brain is receiving [the impression] that it is constantly under attack," he said.

"We would not expect hardened soldiers to cope with a 32-hour fire fight, and yet some people think they can play these games constantly for long periods of time."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Lemming
    "We would not expect hardened soldiers to cope with a 32-hour fire fight, and yet some people think they can play these games constantly for long periods of time."

In fairness, there's no real bullets that can damage real flesh in most of todays games.

I've done at least 32 hours on Civ3, at it did me no harm whatsoever.

Now, where's my space duck?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Weird, keeps happening in the cyber cafes aswell over there. They're scary places now.

-
    Free the Kittencake! Viva la revolution!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

News Flash!!!!!!
    Grim Reaper sighted in DNC. Beware all CS heads!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah all these LAN parties over 48 hours wana be carefull if the have any asian gamers. Room 101 should be carefull. Us Irish seem to be ok for it though we are used to sitting in the same posisition for long times. Look how long we spend in the pub.

Well thank god Darkside 4 is only 24 hours then!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

86hours straight, dont think i know anyone that has done over 40......... oh well.
    Best ive managed is 30, never harmed me tho, just a 14hour sleep and im fine.
    Always seems to happen in them asian countrys tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Only 2 deaths, wait till they discover Warcraft 3.
    I clearly have.

no the irish are immune to this exhaustion, the steady flow of alcohol keeps the brain from distinguising from dreams/reality.

that and were as tough as nails.
    (amp the prime example)

hehehehehe.
    thats got me thinking, next galwaylan shall be 48Hrs, let hope some1 dies so we get some media attention :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

86 hours straight? I thought you would die of sleep exhaustion before then! bloody asians dont know how to handle their high octane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

LOL @ Grim reaper spotted in DNC watch out all u CS heads

me ive done bout 14-16 hrs (only once tho)

and my mates complian bout my (minor )3 /4 hr seesions of GT3 on PS2!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    News Flash!!!!!!
    Grim Reaper sighted in DNC. Beware all CS heads!

haha I'd more worried about those Chinese lads playing Legend of Mir or some Asian clone. I think the record in DNC is about 60 hours with some minor keyboard sleep, all the tops spots held by Asians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bleedin heck, another one

I've done 19-20 hours on AOE or Civ very occasionally but wouldn't think of doing anything longer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Better watch out meglome. You could be on trial for murder or have a triad hunting you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

not quite true there gary or do you forget the week you went 24 hour :)

jag enters dnc tuesday morning, jag leaves thursday night for a grand total of 61 hours, jag wonders whats on tv tuesday night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

16 hours once on civ2 with toilet breaks and grub. i thought i could only move at 45 degree angles for days after.

Advertisement