Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrapy etc. distortion..

Options
  • 05-11-2002 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know any site that tell you how to get certain types of distortion?

If not can anyone tell me how to get a scrapy kind distortion like Pantera's "5 minutes alone" and "Use my third arm"?

Or even a kinda echo-ish solo distortion? Sort of like the solo from "Sad but true"?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

I don't know their excat settings for those perticular songs but from what i've heard of pantera seem to use
    I think its drop D tuning (dunno)
    A peavey amp i think? uh
    attenuated highs and emphasized lows
    And i think something that then boosts the high range?

Any way try de-tune to what ever it is they use, now try find the amp stttings, go for high enough gain/dist and lower the voice/trebble but don't put the bass up too much.

When you do this most things seem to sound a lil quiter so turn the amp up.

Dunno if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Dimebag uses solid state Randall Amps for the most part. It's not the easiest distortion to copy. If you have a line 6 then the SLO model comes closes. How you get there really depends on your gear. Scoop the mids and knock the treble down a bit and put the drive/dist up loads.. Use a bridge humbucker.

As I say it all depends on your gear. You're not going to get there with a Marshall JCM 800 on it's own

Oh and he doubles EVERY THING . Including solos. So a chorus will help a lot. ( I think that's what you getting at with the echo thing )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

Diarmuid is probably along the right lines with it being a combo of pedal's(effects)
    A few pedals worth gettin are
    delay/reverb
    chorus
    dist/od/(theres a few different ones you can get)
    wah

Yeah you probably will need an effects unit or some pedals to do it, you should be able to get something sililar tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I knew it had to do with allot of money. How much do line 6 go out for?

Thanks

Advertisement