Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build Costs

Options
  • 05-11-2002 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

I've been reading the Timber Frame thread with some interest as I may be looking to build on a site in the new year. As there seems to be a number of people who have gone through the process can you give me a general feel of the following

1. What you built and why.
    2. Initial estimates versus final costs.
    3. Planners, Builders, Providers etc.
    4. Would you do it again and if so would you change anything.

All in all I just want to get a feel for the process and to see if it's all more trouble than it's worth. If I go ahead it'll porbably be a two story 4 bedroom affair and most likely stone fronted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Only just got by the PP stage myself and I'm already fed-up. But I reckon it's worth it in the end - hopefully.

What ever figure you come up with now add 25% and then add VAT. And that'll give you a pretty good estimate.

But if you're doing it by direct labour (which means you visiting the site everyday and doing the project management) it will work out that bit cheaper. But be prepared to be in there for ht elong haul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

May end up going direct labour, as during construction I will either have to rent a house or a mobile home (which I may as well have on site).

If you don't want to post details on the board can you send me a PM as I'd like to get info on peoples actual experiences and costs as compared to the guff I've so far heard from builders, agents etc.

Advertisement