Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definition of warez

Options
  • 04-11-2002 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

I was quite interested in the reactions provoked by talking about copying games and returning them. Talk of the disallowance of warez in the thread then followed. However i would like a strict definition of warez and thus what discussion is and isn't allowed. Surely discussing with somebody how to "backup" there own games/software should be allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    I was quite interested in the reactions provoked by talking about copying games and returning them. Talk of the disallowance of warez in the thread then followed. However i would like a strict definition of warez and thus what discussion is and isn't allowed. Surely discussing with somebody how to "backup" there own games/software should be allowed?

yes backing up software is allowed. You however were not telling people to back-up their software. you were telling them to rent/buy games, copy them and then return them which if you didn't already know is illegal.

warez refer to software/games that you can download from the internet that have been altered so you can use them without the cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I did not tell anybody to do anything only that it could be done. I am not responsible for what people do with any information that is supplied. And by your definition of warez, warez was discussed in the last thread by yourself who initiated the talk of downloading games from the internet. Theoretically then if somebody want to "backup" ut2003 for example and needed the correct clone cd settings for example that would be ok to discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

please just read the charter for this board and if your still confused about what you are/are not allowed discuss then i suggest you PM one of the moderators of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

As a general rule of thumb, if you did not pay for the game from an authorised seller it is warez, whatever the means you obtained it. Telling other people how to obtain games/software without paying for it is also forbidden on these forums.

Also ... most people do not back up their cds. Anyone who does would have no trouble finding how to do it elsewhere without giving people access to methods to further warez distribution here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

setmypeoplefree.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Here's two interesting points that apply:

1) It is actually ILLEGAL in ireland to make backup copies of your software/music/books/copyrighted material, as the medium on which copyrighted material is presented is also covered by irish copyright laws.

2) It's illegal to FACILITATE the breaking of copyright laws by, for example, explaining HOW to copy something, or suggesting that it be done. using the excuse that you're not responsible for what people do with the information you provide will NOT hold up in court.

Basically, if it feels immoral, it's wrong, and probably against the law. use common sense. claiming ignorance of the law obviously doesn't work either ;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Actually it is legal to make a backup of software you own, note the last word there. Companies dont have to make it easy/possible for you to do that.

Just because you want it, but cannt afford it or are to tight to purchase it doesnt give you some god given right to copy it.

Anyway get back under your bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I think this is a similar situation in a way, but off topic in another :confused:

If you tell someone (bloke-B) that bloke-A sells drugs, and bloke-B gets caught by the police while buying them, if he says you told him to get drugs there, you get arrested, and bloke-B gets away unharmed (think thats the way it goes, think bloke-A gets done still tho).
    (thats by UK law btw, not sure bout ireland,i live in the north..)

So you arent allowed to tell people where/how to get things illegally, or you get buggered if he gets caugh.(which is admittidly VERY unlikely)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Phreak

warez refer to software/games that you can download from the internet that have been altered so you can use them without the cd.

So for what dataisgod is explaining, it isn't warez. What he is doing is called "Shoplifting".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Balfa
    1) It is actually ILLEGAL in ireland to make backup copies of your software/music/books/copyrighted material, as the medium on which copyrighted material is presented is also covered by irish copyright laws.

You're right and you're wrong.

Right:
    There's no "fair use" provision in Irish (or UK) copyright law. This will come as something of a surprise to people who assumed there was. Not here folks, only in the US. So by that rule you can't backup games, music CDs, books or anything copyrightd (with the usual allowances for copying one article from a journal or a particular section of a book for research or academic purposes)

Wrong:
    With regard to software, (almost always) the EULA will give the purchaser the right to make one single copy of the optical media for backup purposes (and for no other purpose). The EULA will add that you must destroy this backup copy if you dispose of the software.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

There's no "fair use" provision in Irish (or UK) copyright law.

Yes there is - dunno about Irish law, but UK law definitely carries a fair use clause allowing the duplication of copyright material stored on perishable media for personal backup reasons. I also believe that this right is enshrined in the Berne Convention, but I'm not sure on that point.

Either way it makes no odds. If you discuss copying games on here, I'm going to ban you, and you can whinge about legitimate reasons all you bloody like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You are entitled to back up software you own.

Last year Microsoft had to stop a 250,000 cd build as their Eula was out of date and didnt include that you had the right to back up the software.

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

What Shinj said.

Anyway, methods of circumventing copyright protected cd's even for legitimate purposes is off topic on this forum.

This thread does not seem to contain any Games content at all other then a reference to another thread.

The rules of this board regarding warez are not up for discussion and therefore I am closing this thread. If anyone has a problem with this please feel free to complain on Admin.

Cheers,

amp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement