Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Console Gaming

Options
  • 02-11-2002 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Do you think online Console gaming will be a sucess?
    Their already sending out Emails to Xbox live Beta testers in England?
    Heres a post that think it will fail
    the link is
    http://forum.gamesradar.com/viewtopic.php?t=5807

Personally with Micro$ofts money behind it, i think it stands the best chance out of all 3 to make it, besides its a great chance to test the market reaction out there ,before Nintendo and Sony decide to join in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Unlike previous attempts this doenst require mad logistics to play online just an Xbox and a Lan adapter.

PS2 goes full internet soon so expect some higher than normal Ping on US game servers while the PS 2 ppls login and play also.

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Good question. Depends on broadband rollout imo. 56k connections just suck too much to become popular.

I doubt I'll be using a console to play online in the future but I think it can only be a good thing that the big three are thinking about it.

Puts more pressure to get broadband available and makes people other than those loonies* in Ioffl aware of what broadband actually is.

*Of course I mean deeply concerned individuals who are fighting to make the public aware of broadband etc etc, blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

They (PS2/Xbox) have serious advantages for them but both have big hurdles too.

The PS2 will use both a 56k modem and a BB connection but a system is only a strong as its weakest link, so BB users will have to sacrafice game quality for 56k users.

The Xbox runs straight away with no extra hardware but exclusively a BB console. Also Microsoft has opted for a closed system which will beneift the consumer in terms of price and also any problems with the system are ironed out quickly, but this closed loop rules out "inter-console" gaming.

...either way, the PS2 and NGC will only have an adapter for here but i have heard NTL will release a Xbox specific adapter for gaming here and in the Uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement