Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cube Games?

Options
  • 01-11-2002 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭

We have not had a good old fashioned chat on here in a while so to maybe prompt a discussion Im wondering about this gamecube thing and input would be great.

I just bought a gamecube on the spur of the moment. A bargin was sent about the office, and I saw it and bought a cube in about 5 seconds. £120 (sterling remember) for a Cube and a Standard Cube Memory Card (plus £5 for super fast delivery)

Now I need to have a trip into town at the weekend and get a game or two.

Game one shall be Tricky, as I have played it a bunch of times and I think its cool. And the people I live with like skiing and have never played games, so its a good start for them :)

Game two I have no idea? Timesplitters2, fifa 2003, mario, monkey ball etc etc

what do you gamecube owners think..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you liked Mario 64 on the N64, then you'll like Mario Sunshine. I have about 10 games at the moment ....

Mario Sunshine - I love it. Great platformer.

SSX Tricky - Good fun.

Luigi's Mansion - Good fun, but toooooo short.

Pikmin - Allegedly great (but I found it hard to get into)

Super Monkey Ball - Limited 1 player appeal (it gets insanely hard) but brilliant 2 player!

Burnout - One of the best racing games I've ever played. FUN!

Resident Evil - Waiting to finish Mario before I start this one. Initial impressions are excellent, though!

Super Smash Brothers - Not great one player, but fun for two.

Wave Race 64 - Pretty good. Got bored with it, though....

Star Wars Rogue Leader - Fun shooter.

So Burnout, Mario or Resident Evil. However... Eternal Darkness is out this weekend, and its supposed to be very good.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

I'd avoid the FIFA series. they've all been crap and this one isn't any different, by all accounts. I got ISS 2 for my Gamecube and it isn't up to much either.

Supermario Sunshine is quite cool, very surreal. Don't think Timesplitters 2 is out yet. Super Smash Bros is good mindless fun as well, particularly 2 player.

If you go into Game no Henry Street they have a large pre-owned section - everythings about €40. Might pick something decent up there. Avoid Spiderman - its crap.

Actually, just read a review for Eternal Darkness here:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/363/363071p1.html

It sounds incredible.

- Dave.

Originally posted by Scottish
    If you go into Game no Henry Street they have a large pre-owned section - everythings about €40. Might pick something decent up there. Avoid Spiderman - its crap.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=626778#post626778

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I have played mario on a few of the formats its been on, and have not really liked it and I personally wont go back again and again to play it. So , if i hear "its me maa.a.arrio" one more time Im going to scream :)

Several people have said that ISS 2 is pish to me now. So thats a big black mark.

Im hoping to get the cube into our living room, so multi player games, both girls and blokes can play are being considered..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I'm going to pick up a gamecube for a similar reason, there are loads of us in the flat who like playing games and it's easy to get enough people for some 4 player action on the dreamcast, even though it doesn't have as many quality 4 player games.

I'm shocked and appauled that nobody has mentioned beach spikers yet, it's from the same crowd that made Virtua Tennis on the dreamcast, and if it's anywhere near as good as that, it's a must-buy for me.

If you're going to buy Timesplitters 2 buy it on PS2 if you have one, or even X-Box, although there's very little between the different versions, I didn't like the cube pad with it much.......but, you're more likely to have 4 controllers for a cube than the other 2 consoles, so that can make it a good idea (and that's why I'll be buying it on cube).

Also, you really need to have Monkey Ball :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Good grief, Mills is slowly but surely turning into Shinji.
    My eyes are on Eternal Darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

quote:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...6778#post626778

- Dave.

Apologies Dave. Still think €40 is better than €70 in some cases.

Virtua Tennis is one of the best games evah - thats worth a look..

I do indeed have a dreamcast but we must face the fact its not going ot ever get any new games! A lot of the games out for it are cool. But this is it, no more :(

Why do you say to look at TS2 on the PS2 or XBox and not the Cube. Just about the controller or are there slowdown reasons or something?

Apologies Dave. Still think €40 is better than €70 in some cases.
    My point is that they're not €40 any more! They've been bumped up to €50. :)

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

TS2 on the cube can't be linked with other cubes like the PS2 and Xbox version can.

But as for other reasons, for graphics avoid the PS2 version, I've heard the Xbox version is a bit washed out looking (insider.ign.com) but has the best sound of the 3.

If you want a fun 4 player game, wait for Mario Party 4. May be kiddy but by god when you're drunk its the funniest thing ever. (a bit of an assumption as its not out yet, but the other 3 were, so its a well founded assumption :p )

Oooo, When is Mario Party 4 out?
    Why do you say to look at TS2 on the PS2 or XBox and not the Cube. Just about the controller or are there slowdown reasons or something?

Yeah mostly the controller although you can get used to that. It slows down a little more than the others in split screen mode too. I didn't notice much difference in the sound between platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Vagga buying a GameCube - isn't that one of the signs of the apocolypse?

Anyway, from what I've played I'd advise you to pick up the following: Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Super Monkey Ball (essential for multiplay games!). Timesplitters 2 is also fantastic (and I've had no problems with slowdown and love the controls and everything). And seeing as you're a bit of a soccer nut, ISS2 is actually quite good - though obviously not up to PES standards.

Super Smash Bros, Resident Evil and Rogue Leader are all rather disappointing and won't hold your attention too long.

ISS2 is actually quite good - though obviously not up to PES standards
    Thats the same thing that gets me, both games are from the same codebase, ISS is more 'arcade' and PES is more 'serious' - but there both essentially from the same code so I cant understand how so many people say PES rules and ISS2 sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In all fairness, the development of the titles split back in the Playstation days. Both teams have taken the code in completely different directions. ISS strips away a lot of what makes PES great to make the game more accessable and arcade, while PES has always been about realism and detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The Gamecube is gonna have a PES game in February

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

games we have (we being hobbes & myself)
    Timesplitters 2
    Resident Evil
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Luigi's Mansion
    Burnout
    Rogue Leader
    Super Monkey Ball
    Bloody Roar
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Super Smash Brothers Melee

games i would reccomend
    for showing off the GC's powah
    Luigi's mansion
    Rogue Leader

For max drunken fun
    Super monkey ball
    Burnout
    Bloody Roar

just good games
    Timesplitters 2 (omg the level editor rocks my pants)
    Super Mario Sunshine

sonic, resident evil, they dont cut it because sonic gets really boring after the first 100 levels :( and resident evil is just a remake of the original

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Well, these are the games I have

Sonic Adventure 2 - One of the best adventure games I've ever played, the storyline is great, the music can be good when it wants to be, the chao system is genius, and the ending is superb. But I wouldn't reccomend it if you disliked knuckles missions in sa1, or go psycho at bad camera angles.

ISS2 - I cant beleive what some people are saying about this game,I think its sheer class. There are better out there of course, but this will stay in my collection of favorites..

Resident Evil - I hate puzzle solvers, and this was a bad purchase for me.

Super Mario Sunshine - Huge Mario64 clone imho...Its a good game,but I'd go with Mario64 any day..

Super Smash Bros Melee - Words cannot describe how good this game is. One of the best beat em ups I've ever played.

Rogue Leader - A bit on the hard side, but its an overall great game with some stunning graphics. Plus, It has that whole laser thingy going on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

as a beat em up bloody roar is superior to smash brothers imo

smash is only useful with yer mates around so you can get drunk and laugh at each other as you throw pokemon at each other.
    SA2 - like i said its fun, but there is 180 levels to the game!!!! im up to 118, i may or may not go back to it eventually :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

SA2 - like i said its fun, but there is 180 levels to the game!!!! im up to 118, i may or may not go back to it eventually :P
    And then u can go back and get an 'A' in each level ;)
    Sonic is a good game (gameplay & graphics) but it gets boring very quick once u complete it

RE is pretty cool too.. but i can't be bothered finishing it twice
    Eternal Darkness is definetly one to watch

Games i'm looking forward to are starfox adventures and zelda :)

• Advertisement

I'm getting a cube in a month or so (got some essays and stuff to get out of the way first) and I've got a list of games that I want......and it's early and I haven't slept and I have to be on a plane in a few hours, so I've decided to share my list with you all :).

Super Mario Sunshine
    Super Monkey Ball
    Beach Spikers
    Eternal Darkness (not sure about this one yet....)
    Pikmin
    Timesplitters 2 (For nostalgia purposes, and to see my name in the credits :))
    Mario Party 4 (again I'm not sure......but we've been "enjoying" late night bouts of Sonic Shuffle in the flat and by all accounts mario party is better......)
    Animal Crossing (I'm intrigued, not sure if I'll actually buy it though)

Originally posted by Mills
    Eternal Darkness (not sure about this one yet....)
    I'm about 2 hours into this, and I love it!!

(And when I think that it'll take 40 hours for an average gamer/20 hours for an expert, makes me love it even more....)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Games I have
    Monkey Ball - Good fun but is rock hard later on, try the single player experience after a few jars :)

Rogue Squadron - Stunning game, good laugh while it lasts but the replay value is limited (I bore easily)

Resident Evil - The reason I got the gamecube in the first place, if you are a fan get it, if not keep away.

Smash Brothers - Great multiplayer, good single player game in event mode.

Lost Kingdoms - Stay well away, good concept ruined by one factor, random battles.

Mario Sunsine - Fantastic

Games I want in the next few weeks.
    Sega NFL2K3, TS2 & Eternal Darkness

Picked up Eternal Darkness earlier, I'll throw a couple of cents up later.

On that note: as usual, you should buy in Smyths. Game were looking for €64.99 for it, I went up to Smyths, got a loyalty card with them and paid €54.

Yep, meant to say that too. Smyth's prices are excellent. Don't buy anything in Game unless its not available anywhere else.

- Dave.

Actually game is good for the second hand stuff - feck all else mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by Sico
    Hurry.. i'm buying it tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

As Jaggah has already pointed out....

Timesplitters 2
    Resident Evil
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Luigi's Mansion
    Burnout
    Rogue Leader
    Super Monkey Ball
    Bloody Roar
    Sonic Adventure 2

Of those the best games I like.

Single player
    - Bloody Roar
    - Sonic
    - Super Mario Sunshine*
    - Lugui's mansion*
    - Burnout

* Until you beat the game, then it will just sit there.

Multi player
    - Bloody Roar
    - Super Monkey Ball (for all the SMB fanboi's this is in no particular order:))

Games I wouldn't recommend.
    - Super Smash Bro's. (Play it before you buy it!)
    - James Bond. I personally didn't like this due to how the controls work, it was just too messy. Again I'd recommend playing before you buy.

Timesplitters2 and R.Evil are my latest so I don't really have much comment on them. Timesplitter2 seems to be more fun in multiplayer. R.Evil appears to be same as the old game but with better graphics.

I played James Bond on the PS2 and it was cack. And as far as I can see the PS2 controller would be better suited to it than the Cube controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Originally posted by Sico

On that note: as usual, you should buy in Smyths. Game were looking for €64.99 for it, I went up to Smyths, got a loyalty card with them and paid €54.

Picked up Eternal Darkness at the weekend in Virgin, Blanchardstown for €39.99. Game wanted €64.99 as above.

Not sure if the Virgin price was a mistake but all the copies where marked €39.99.

Advertisement