Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on PA SYSTEMS

Options
  • 31-10-2002 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

didnt know where else to stick this

whats the story, what are the components of a PA system, its just for a single vocalist, ie me. i've come to the point where i think i'm doin serious damage to myself trying to sing over drums, guitar (lead+rythm) and bass. i want something for practice and also maybe tiny little gigs at parties and such. due to our studentness its going to be a buyandsell job for sure.

what do i nedd to get? any advice on equipment i should be looking at and any short cuts that can be taken would be great, basicly any and all details would be great.

cheers

ferdi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have you tried just putting the mic through a guitar speaker for starters? That'll give you some extra welly until you decide on a proper PA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

There are a few different parts to a decent PA first off id the Power Amp then the Mixing desk then your speakers, you can get a combo Amp and Desk but i recommend seperates cause you can sell em off at a later stage when you upgrade your equipment.
    For practicing something around 500Watts should be fine, i wouldnt go for anything less. Theres a place on Capel Street Called Sounds Around/DJ Store and they used to be pretty cheap for PA Gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Joey Ramone

500watts?
    You wouldnt need that power for practicing. There are some pretty nifty 100 and 200 watt packages around. Fender and Kustom do a few nice models I'm told. I dont claim to be a expert so dont flame me but 500watts minimum seems to be a bit extravagant for something used mainly for practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Thing about PA's is, they dont really equate to the wattage you are used to in guitar amps, Ive used loads of PAs and i own a 400Watt one, and an 80Watt Guitar Amp would drown it out at half volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

A good mike and desk is what you need, and a 150W pa will be grand, if you know what your doing :>

• Advertisement
Advertisement